Home My YFS

Real Fife survive late scare to clinch cup

Beveridge Lions Red FC 1

Wallace 42' McLeod 58'

Real Fife FC 2

Hill 66'
  • Sunday, 24 May 2015
  • Warout Stadium
  • Under 13´s
  • Development Challenge Cup final

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A late header from Robby Hill was not enough for Beveridge Lions Red as they lost 2-1 to Real Fife in the Development Challenge Cup final at Warout. Earlier goals from Callum Wallace and Logan McLeod sealed the win for Real, who did well to keep out a determined ‘Lions team for most of the ninety minutes.

The game was played out in front of a packed stand at in Glenrothes, and both teams more than played their part in what was an entertaining game.

Despite the final score, it was Beveridge who started the stronger of the two teams, with some good play from Lewis Johnstone on the right bringing the game its first corner, from which Struan Grieve tapped inches wide of the post. Hill also had a shot early on, but couldn’t direct his effort on target.

Real Fife were soon creating chances of their own, and from a corner Nairn Connelly was unlucky to see his shot go wide. McLeod was then almost set free of the last defender, but Jack Farley was quick off his line for Beveridge to smother the danger.

There was almost a moment of pure magic from Connelly, as he lined up a free kick from all of thirty yards. The ball was sweetly struck, but despite beating the wall just wouldn’t dip quick enough, as it cannoned off the cross bar to the relief of Farley.

Real were now beginning to look the stronger of the two sides, and the impressive McLeod showed good determination to win the ball back high up the pitch, before unleashing a well struck left footed shot, which was well saved by Farley.

Beveridge were not letting Real have it all their own way though, and a shot from Grieve was hit well enough, but straight at Adam Blyth in the Real goal who was able to save comfortably.

McLeod was then played in behind the Lions defence, but could only force another good save from Farley as Real continued to knock hard on the Lions door.

There was a real ebb and flow to the game now, as both sides created chances to break the deadlock.

First, Ethan King had his shot saved by Farley, before Callum Rodgers was only denied a goal scoring chance by some good defending from Chris Walker in the Real back line.

Then, McLeod saw another effort saved, this time trying to curl in from the edge of the area with a left footed strike. Johnstone then showed good feet as he tried to make room for a shot, but he was crowded out and was unable to pull the trigger.

As the half drew to a close there was just enough time for Callum Wallace to whip in a free kick, but Farley was able to collect easily, meaning the score remained level at the break.

  • Half Time:
  • Beveridge Lions Red FC
  • 0-0
  • Real Fife FC

Once again it was Beveridge who started the half the stronger of the two teams. Grieve was almost played in behind the Real defence but was denied by a good tackle. Jack Deacon then had a shot from distance, which Blyth could only tip onto the crossbar to keep the scores level.

There was also a chance for Callum Macher from a set piece, but his left footed free kick went harmlessly over the bar.

Despite the early pressure, it was Real Fife who struck the opening blow. And it was a very well worked goal.

Kieron Bowie did well to beat his man and get to the byeline, and his cross along the face of goal was bundled in by Wallace to send the Real Fife fans into raptures in the stands.

Beveridge looked for an instant response, but Kyle King could only shoot wide from distance.

It was becoming a frustrating afternoon for the Beveridge strikers, as they found their opponents in no mood to concede.

Logan Christie tried to burst through the back line, but was stopped in his tracks by a good tackle from Brandon Wight, not the first the defender would make.

Kyle Campbell then took aim from a very long way out, but the shot was wide; and as King saw another free kick go the wrong side of the post the Beveridge players could have been forgiven for thinking this just wasn’t going to be their day.

Despite the pressure from Beveridge, Real Fife looked dangerous on the counter attack and Bowie showed good strength to hold off his marker and force his way through for a one on one chance with Farley, but the goalkeeper kept his side in the game with another fingertip save.

Connelly then tried to find a way through the Lions defence to put the game to bed, but was denied by some terrific defending.

Rodgers then looked to do the same for Beveridge, but again was stopped by a great piece of defending from Wight. A corner then came and went for the side chasing an equaliser, as Campbell stabbed over the bar from close range.

Wight was again in the thick of the action for Real, as he stopped Rodgers shot to keep his side on track for the victory they needed to lift the cup.

Beveridge then saw their best chance of the game to get the equaliser they so desperately wanted. A good ball across from Jack Shields found Rodgers unmarked at the back post, but with Kieran Miller making a last ditch sliding tackle, Rodgers could only blaze his effort over the bar.

And it wasn’t long until the result was signed, sealed and delivered for Real, as McLeod grabbed a deserved goal. Once again Bowie was the architect, getting to the bye line and crossing low across the face of goal where McLeod was on hand to smash the ball home.

There was a late consolation for Beveridge, as Hill rose highest in a crowded penalty area to head powerfully past Blyth, who despite getting a hand to the ball couldn’t keep it out.

But it was too little, too late for the Lions. Had Hills’ goal come twenty minutes earlier then the result might have been different, but as it finished it was Real Fife celebrating at the final whistle.

  • Full Time:
  • Beveridge Lions Red FC
  • 1-2
  • Real Fife FC


Beveridge Lions Red FC
Real Fife FC
1. Jack Farley
2. John Millar
3. Kai McGregor
4. Daniel Smith
6. Robby Hill
7. Callum Rodgers
8. Logan Christie
9. Jack Shields
10. Struan Grieve
11. Kyle King
14. Lewis Johnstone
15. Vraig Carmichael
16. Jack Deacon
17. Kyle Campbell
25. Callum Macher
1. Adam Blyth
2. Chris Walker
3. Kieran Miller
4. Ethan King
5. Kieran Mercer
6. Darren Paton
7. Logan McLeod
8. Callum Wallace
9. Nairn Connelly
10. Kieron Bowie
11. Deri Winn
12. Jack Hamilton
15. Calvin Davidson
16. Mitchell Young
17. Brandon Wight
23. Ryan Mitchell
Star Player
Beveridge Lions Red FC
Real Fife FC
Jack Farley - made some terrific saves to keep his side in the game. There was very little he could do about either goal, a great performance and deservdly won Man of the Match on the day as well.
Logan McLeod - was energetic and tireless from the first whistle. Deservedly got on the score sheet late on.
Magic Moment
Beveridge Lions Red FC
Real Fife FC
Had Robby Hills' goal come just moments earlier, then it could have proved a turning point in the match. As it was, it was only consolation. But still, this was a well taken header and a deserved goal for a side that just wouldnt give up!
The opening goal from Callum Wallace to break the deadlock after a tight and tense first half. Some really good work by Kieron Bowie, and a well timed run from Wallace to bundle the ball home!
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments