Home My YFS

Kinross and Kennoway in end of season cracker

Kinross Colts 2

McLintoch 22 , Munro 23

Kennoway United 6

Kirk 36 , 44 , 60 , 73 , Sparrow 43 , McEwar 78
  • Saturday, 23 May 2015
  • The Myre
  • Under 16´s
  • Domestic Supplies 16s League

Craig Edwards | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Kennoway were victorious on the final day of the season as they came from behind to beat Kinross. The hosts had led through goals by Paul McLintoch and Daniel Munro but a terrific Cameron Kirk inspired comeback as well as goals from Paul Sparrow and Robbie McEwar was enough for the visitors to end the season with a victory.

In beautiful weather conditions, both sides began with the aim of winning their final game of the season and Kinross controlled possession in the first few minutes but Kennoway produced the first chances. Sparrow's shot flashed wide before Ryan O’Donnell headed over the bar. Kennoway kept up the pressure on the hosts as Kieran Whipp headed straight at Cameron Banks in the Kinross goal before Banks denied Kirk with a great save after the striker got the better of the Kinross defence.

It took 16 minutes for Kinross to record their first effort. Sean Cowe's corner was headed off the line after sailing over everyone’s head before, four minutes later, Cameron Black's shot was denied brilliantly by the Kennoway keeper after breaking through the defence. Kinross, after firing a couple of warning shots did take the lead. McLintoch received the ball on the right side of the box and jinxed past one before firing it low under the goalkeeper. The lead was doubled 60 seconds later. The Kinross players' player of the season Lewis Caulfield won a high ball from defence and played the ball into Euan Duthie. He played a killer ball into the path of Cameron Donnelly and his pass across the face of goal meant that Munro was able to charge into the box and convert a simple tap-in.

The hosts looked to make it three but were lucky not to get caught out on the break. Kirk beat the offside trap but Banks made the save. The ball rebounded back to Kirk and despite rounding Banks, Cowe was able to slide in and clear the goalbound strike. Kirk got his goal six minutes later as his cross looped over everyone, including the goalkeeper and clipped the far post and in.

  • Half Time:
  • Kinross Colts
  • 2-1
  • Kennoway United

Kennoway began the second half on the front foot as Kirk fired over after nine seconds. Three minutes later they levelled. Sparrow received the ball on the edge of the box and had time to get the ball onto his right foot before curling a superb finish into the top corner.

The turnaround was complete a minute later as Kirk broke down the right before unleashing a thunderbolt into the top left corner giving the keeper no chance. It could have been three in as many minutes as pinball in the Kinross defence saw Cameron Black deflecting the ball over Banks but Alasdair Bennet was on the line to spare Black's blushes.

Kennoway continued to dominate the second half as Jamie Gillies and Andrew Couper both had efforts before Whipp was sent off for the visitors as Callum McIntyre looked to break. Kinross tried to use their numerical advantage and threatened Taylor Hay in the Kennoway goal. Cowe saw his free kick drift just wide before Duthie's strike went straight down the keeper’s throat. Despite being down to 10 men, Kennoway were still a threat and showed that on the hour mark. A long throw in from the left found its way nicely to Kirk inside the box and he duly put it away.

Despite being behind Kinross still tried to fight back. Black had his shot blocked after aggressive pressing by the Colts paid off as they won the ball back in the Kennoway third. Duthie was then played in but his shot went agonizingly over the crossbar.

The visitors finished the half the same as they began it. Another long throw again found Kirk and he struck in for his fourth before McEwar got on the scoresheet. A third long throw in found Kirk and the keeper saved his effort but McEwar was first to react and blasted the ball into the net to increase the lead.

McEwar almost got his second and his side's seventh but a good save by the substitute goalie Lewis Bathgate denied him.

Kennoway won in the brilliant sunshine on the final day of the season in what was a closer game than the scoreline suggests. Both sides will be confident in improving their league position next season.

  • Full Time:
  • Kinross Colts
  • 2-6
  • Kennoway United


Kinross Colts
Kennoway United
2. Lewis Caulfield
5. Alasdair Bennet
7. Cameron Banks
8. Euan Duthie
9. Josh Anderson
10. Paul McLintoch
11. Daniel Munro
12. Allen Saunders
15. Craig Swift
16. Michael Drysdale
17. Cameron Donnelly
21. Lewis Bathgate
67. Sean Cowe
99. Cameron Black
1. Taylor Hay
3. Ross Higgins
4. Andrew Couper
5. Matthew Cunningham
6. Ben Hillan
8. Cameron Kirk
9. Kieran Whipp
10. Dylan Pattie
12. Jamie Paterson
13. Jordan Black
14. Paul Sparrow
15. Robbie McEwar
16. Jamie Gillies
17. Jack McGourty
18. Ryan O'Donnell
Star Player
Kinross Colts
Kennoway United
Cameron Banks – On what could be his last appearance for Kinross he pulled off some terrific saves to keep the scoreline down.
Cameron Kirk – Four goals and a simply outstanding performance.
Magic Moment
Kinross Colts
Kennoway United
The build up to the second goal. It was a brilliant team goal including Lewis Caulfield, Euan Duthie, Cameron Donnelly and the scorer Daniel Munro.
The long throw ins that were so effective for the visitors resulting in three goals.
Club Views
Kinross Colts
Kennoway United
Sean Cowe said: "It was a disappointing end to the season considering the improvements in the last few weeks and was a lack of concentration at times as well as two great strikes that let us down. "For next season we hope to work on our improvements and compete more at higher positions in the league."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments