Home My YFS

Broughty United grind out cup final win against Ferry Athletic

Broughty United 1

Faulkner 32

Ferry Athletic 0

  • Sunday, 17 May 2015
  • North End Park
  • Under 14´s
  • Jim Duffy Cup

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Broughty United have won the Jim Duffy Cup after coming out on top in a close-fought derby match against Ferry Athletic. In the latest final to be held at Dundee’s North End Park it was Broughty’s Ewan Faulkner who grabbed the headlines as he scored the only goal of the game in the 32nd minute.

Ferry Athletic came straight out of the traps in the opening stages of a perfectly poised cup final. The first opportunity arose just four minutes into the match when Louie Porter latched onto a long ball from midfield. The Ferry number six fired a shot at goal, from within the penalty area, but the ball sailed high over the target.

After this early warning for Broughty United they then began to respond to the Ferry threat. In the eighth minute, Brogan Rourke made a fantastic run straight through the middle of the park and into the Ferry Athletic penalty box. He managed to impressively weave his way through every challenge that came his way until he reached the six-yard line. He then looked to get his shot away at goal but in flew Ferry’s Cameron Murray, who blocked his effort with an outstretched leg.

As the game ticked into the 11th minute, Porter came close to opening the scoring for Ferry Athletic once again. He received the ball inside the box following a cross from the left flank. He struck his shot at goal but was denied by a superb diving save from Daniel Edelstone. The Broughty United goalkeeper’s strong left hand was enough to parry the ball away and save his side.

The next golden opportunity at goal fell the way of Rourke 22 minutes into the game. The Broughty number nine managed to successfully beat the offside trap after being played in beyond the Ferry defence. With a clean run at goal he eventually pulled the trigger just yards from the target. Unfortunately for him his shot went just wide of the post.

Ferry Athletic started to reassume control of the half and came agonizingly close to scoring through Murray. The boys in yellow were awarded a free kick a good 40 yards from goal on the 28th minute. Murray stepped up, unperturbed by the distance, and unleashed a bullet of a strike towards the Broughty goal. His spectacular effort so nearly paid off as the ball thundered against the crossbar before being cleared away from danger.

Despite Ferry slightly edging the first-half performance, it was Broughty United that took the lead three minutes from half time. Ewan Faulkner picked up possession of the ball, drove at goal, and managed to keep control despite the numbers of challenges that came his way from the Ferry back line. Through sheer determination he was able to worm his way to the six yard line and slot the ball past the oncoming Ferry keeper Robert Black and into the back of the net.

Going a goal ahead spurred on Broughty as they ended the half with a plethora of chances. Within a minute after scoring Faulkner turned provider as he put Rourke through on goal. Rourke fired a shot towards goal but Robert Black excellently parried it behind for a corner.

From the resulting corner, Rourke had yet another opportunity as he was afforded a free header at goal. However, he could not get it on target and it went wide.

The referee soon concluded the first period of the game. Both teams could be proud of the efforts that they had put in so far but, for Ferry, they had to come up with a way to get back on level terms. 

  • Half Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 1-0
  • Ferry Athletic

Broughty United carried their momentum from the conclusion of the first half into the beginning of the second half. In the 41st minute a corner from Owen Phillips very nearly landed on the head of Faulkner. The number 11 came running in at the back post but just could not stretch enough to make contact with the ball.

Two minutes later, Faulkner did manage to successfully meet a Phillips corner kick. Once again at the far post, he fired his header into the back of the net and wheeled away to celebrate upon believing he had put Broughty 2-0 up. The celebrations were cut short, however, as the referee blew up for a foul in the box and awarded a free kick to Ferry.

In the 45th minute of the game the tables were turned, as it was Ferry Athletic who had a goal disallowed. A free kick was delivered into the Broughty penalty box and, following a few ricochets, it was bundled into the net by Murray. Once again the officials cut short the celebrations as Murray was adjudged to have been in an offside position.

As the game entered its 55th minute Ferry Athletic had a glorious chance to score their desired equaliser. Scott Galloway expertly played Liam Crockett through on goal. With just the keeper to beat Crockett opted for power, but his strike kept on rising and flew over the crossbar.

Soon after everyone within North End park, regardless of allegiance, were applauding a superb double save from Robert Black. Callan Gallacher drove in from the left flank, for Broughty, before firing at goal. Black was able to get a hand to it and parried the ball out. Unfortunately for him the rebound landed at the feet of Ethan Bannon who instantly struck a shot back towards the target. In a magnificent display of agility and speed, Black was straight up on his feet and he raced across to the other side of goal to block Bannon’s attempt with his left leg.

In the 58th minute Faulkner had a third attempt at latching onto a Phillips corner kick. This time, however, he attacked the near post but his header went wide of the mark. 

For the closing stages of the game Ferry Athletic went all out on the attack in search of that elusive equaliser. Despite peppering the Broughty defence they could not get the required opening and no clear chance presented itself. They were soon beaten by the referee’s full time whistle and Broughty could celebrate winning the cup final. Both teams undoubtedly proved that they are strong outfits and absolutely deserve their place in this cup final. Broughty United, however, just edged it and proved themselves worthy winners following a display of tenacity, hard work and a touch of class.

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;
  • Full Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 1-0
  • Ferry Athletic


Broughty United
Ferry Athletic
1. Charlie Kennedy
2. Aidan McIrvine
4. Rhys Beattie
6. Stewart Morman
7. Ethan Bannon
8. Owen Phillips
9. Brogan Rourke
11. Ewan Faulkner
16. Callan Gallacher
18. Brandon Black
24. Glen Maxwell
25. Darren Coutts
26. Euan Fallon
31. Daniel Edelstone
80. Luke Benvie
1. Robert Black
2. Ben Milne
3. Jamie Chalmers
4. Scott Galloway
5. Matt Clark
6. Louie Porter
7. Liam Crockett
8. Peter Forte
9. Cameron Murray
11. Jude Hughes
12. Bradley Duff
14. Rory McCarthy
15. Chris Mudie
16. Jack Bradley
17. Craig Bruce
18. Thomas Grubb
Star Player
Broughty United
Ferry Athletic
Callan Gallacher – A great game out on the left and proved to be a constant thorn in the side of the Ferry defence. Created chances and acted as a great outlet when his side were being put under pressure.
Robert Black – Superb effort from the Ferry captain and goalkeeper to save his side on more than one occasion. Hugely vocal at the back too and kept his defenders aware of what was around.
Magic Moment
Broughty United
Ferry Athletic
Ewan Faulkner’s goal – Great persistence to fend off that many challenges and eventually convert. Super goal.
Murray’s free kick – So close to being a fantastic goal, if not for the woodwork. Black’s double save runs it close.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments