Print this page

Dryburgh Athletic come from behind twice to triumph in the John Clark Motors Cup final

Dryburgh Athletic 3

Smith 22, Cole 53, 61

Ferry Athletic Yellow 2

Carroll 4, Anderson 29

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Dryburgh Athletic and Ferry Athletic Yellows went toe-to-toe in the John Clark Motors Cup final on Sunday. In a closely fought encounter it was Dryburgh Athletic who emerged as 3-2 winners. Taylor Carroll and Kyle Anderson scored a first half goal each for Ferry either side of a Ryan Smith goal for Dryburgh. In the second half two goals from Scott Cole turned the score line in Dryburgh’s favour and they survived a late rally to claim the cup.

The first half was controlled by Ferry and it did not take them long to register the first goal of the game. Lewis Finnie delivered a superb ball, from the left wing, into the Dryburgh penalty box that was met by Carroll. Under pressure from the Dryburgh keeper, Carroll managed to turn the ball into the net, with his head, to put his team 1-0 up after just four minutes.

A couple of minutes later Ferry came close to doubling their lead. A corner was delivered into the box and, following a couple of ricochets, the ball fell to the feet of Harry Dow. Unfortunately for him he fired his effort just over the bar.

In the 18th minute Dryburgh were handed a golden opportunity to get back on level terms when Ferry goalkeeper Callum Langdale was adjudged to have handled a back pass. An indirect free kick was awarded and virtually every Ferry player was on the goal line ready to block the effort. The free kick was laid off to Scott Cole to take a shot but the Ferry defence did its job well. Cole’s effort was blocked and it bounced away for a corner.

Dryburgh continued to use this momentum to try and get back in the game. They succeeded as, in the 22nd minute, they grabbed an equaliser. Dryburgh’s Ben Amos made a superb run from the left and fired in a low cross that landed at the feet of captain Ryan Smith. Just six yards from goal, the tall midfielder was able to slot the ball home and level the score.  

Dryburgh’s joy was short lived, however, as seven minutes later Ferry regained the lead. Once again Finnie was the provider as he fired a superb cross into the opposition penalty area. The ball found an unmarked Kyle Anderson who finished the move off with a neat volleyed effort.

Ferry continued to press throughout the remainder of the first half in an effort to increase their lead further. They were unable to and were eventually beaten by the referee’s whistle for half time. 

After the half time break Dryburgh Athletic emerged a different animal and took control of the second half. In the 44th minute Smith came close to netting his second as he met a Scott Cole corner. However, his resulting header was too high and went over the crossbar.

On the 53rd minute Dryburgh’s second equaliser of the game did arrive. They were awarded a free kick some 40 yards out from goal and Scott Cole stepped up to deliver the ball into the box. Instead of being met by any players in the penalty area, the ball missed all of them and bounced straight into the back of the net. 

Shortly after Dryburgh came close to taking the lead through Amos. The number 11 was put through on goal but his resulting strike was well saved by the legs of Langdale.

Dryburgh continued to push for another goal and, in the 61st minute they grabbed it. For plenty in the ground it was very much a case of deja vu. Dryburgh were awarded a free kick in a similar position to the one that led to their second goal. Scott Cole stepped up once more to deliver the ball into the box and, again, it flew straight into the net without anyone else getting a touch.

Two minutes after the score was very nearly 4-2 after an excellent effort from centre back Mitchell Hay. Scott Cole laid off a free kick to the number seven and, from about 30 yards away, he thumped an effort towards goal. The ball dipped, swerved and crashed against the crossbar and out. So very nearly an outstanding goal.

Ferry then started to reassume control of the play as it was now or never for them to score. The boys in yellow went into full attack mode as they attempted to bombard the Dryburgh goal with efforts. In the 73rd minute they came hugely close when a long ball was played to Anderson. Mark Smith came out to meet Anderson but the number 23 managed to head the ball over the keeper towards goal. On hand, however, was Hay who sprinted back and booted the ball to safety before it could cross the goal line.

Despite Ferry’s effort they were unable to muster another chance to score. Dryburgh survived their late onslaught and, as the referee blew for full time, the players and fans could celebrate their well-fought cup win. Both teams are very clearly strong teams as this closely fought cup-tie proves. Littered with players who are well accustomed to winning things, on this occasion it was Dryburgh that go home with a trophy and winners medals. No doubt both will be back, sooner rather than later, to compete for more silverware. 

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;


Dryburgh Athletic
Ferry Athletic Yellow
1. Mark Smith
2. Lewis Curran
3. Ryan Taylor
4. Kieran Conway
5. Calum Clark
6. Reece Coats
7. Mitchell Hay
8. Ryan Smith
9. Scott Cole
10. Liam Clarke
11. Ben Amos
12. Sean Mohan
13. Grant Patterson
14. Matthew Brown
15. Morgan Evans
16. Craig Kemlo
17. Rhyss Baer
1. Callum Langdale
2. Lewis Finnie
3. Logan Irvine
4. Ross Nicholson
5. Connor Bell
6. Harry Dow
7. Rory Faulkner
8. Cameron McFie
9. Kyle Ramsay
10. Kieran Paton
12. Kieran McDowell
14. Kyle Craig
15. Blair Whyte
16. Jay Foran
20. Jake Porter
23. Kyle Anderson
34. Taylor Carroll
Star Player
Dryburgh Athletic
Ferry Athletic Yellow
Scott Cole – Double goalscorer and created a lot of mayhem with his set-piece delivery. Was hugely influential in the middle of the park too.
Lewis Finnie – Was excellent in the game, particularly in the first half. Claimed assists for both of Ferry’s goals with some superb crosses.
Magic Moment
Dryburgh Athletic
Ferry Athletic Yellow
Scott Cole’s second goal – It turns out lightening really does strike twice.
Kyle Anderson’s goal – Perfect cross and a great volleyed finish. A really class move to give Ferry a 2-1 lead.

Latest from Alasdair Hooper

Related items

Login to post comments