Home My YFS

Montrose edge out Broughty in semi final thriller

Written by 

Fixture: Broughty United YFC v Montrose YFC
Competition: Ross Ballantine Cup
Venue: Fairmuir Park
Date: 22/3/15
The semi final of the under 13's Ross Ballantine Cup kicked off on a cold and windy Sunday morning. The match, between Broughty and Montrose, was always going to be a closely fought affair.
Broughty took the lead with a neat finish that followed a great through ball 20 minutes into the match.
Five minutes later, after a Montrose defender kept a shot out using his hand, Broughty were awarded a penalty. The spot kick was successfully converted to put Broughty 2-0 up.
Moments before half time Montrose were able to claw one back when their left winger cut inside the defensive line and fired an unstoppable shot into the top left corner.  As the half time whistle blew Montrose had earned themselves a crucial lifeline to try and turn the tie on its head. 
Half Time: Broughty United YFC 2-1 Montrose YFC
In the second half Montrose were at an advantage as the strong wind was now blowing in their favour, and they couldn’t have wished for a better start. Montrose advanced towards Broughty’s goal straight from the kick off and grabbed themselves a crucial equaliser. With the score now 2-2 it was all to play for.
Five minutes later Montrose were in front. After winning a corner, the resulting kick was deflected into the net to make the score 3-2.
Soon afterwards Montrose doubled their advantage after scoring from a well-worked move through the middle.
Broughty responded well and were able to soon bring the score back to 4-3 after their forward latched onto, and converted, a long ball over the Montrose defence. 
Montrose won another corner and scored after the ball was superbly curled into the near post. With the score now 5-3 Montrose appeared to be in the ascendancy.
With eight minutes to go Broughty split the Montrose defence and were able to fire a shot at goal. The Montrose goalkeeper was able to make a save but, in an unfortunate turn of events, he lost his grip and the ball was turned in. With the score now 5-4 it was a nerve-racking end to the game for all those concerned with Montrose. 
Montrose had a chance to ease the pressure and make the score 6-4 with three minutes of the game to go. After a great passing move on the right side the resulting shot flew just wide of the right post.  This could well have finished off the match.
Broughty then headed straight up the pitch and had a chance to make it 5-5. Luckily for Montrose the ball was cleared off the line courtesy of some superb defending.
A minute into stoppage time Montrose’s central midfielder went on a fine solo run to score the goal that would wrap up the mesmerizing game. 
With the final score 6-4 those involved were left to reflect on what was, quite simply, a stunning game of football. The final of the Ross Ballantine Cup will take place on Sunday, 19th April at Dundee North End Ground where Montrose will battle it out against Ferry Athletic.
Full Time: Broughty United YFC 4-6 Montrose YFC
Login to post comments