Home My YFS

Hibernian sink Dundee United late on to bag three points

Dundee United 0

Hibernian FC 2

Handling 80, 82
  • Monday, 17 March 2014
  • Station Park
  • Under 20´s
  • SPFL Development League

Iain Proudfoot | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A double from Danny Handling gave Hibernian a 2-0 victory over Dundee United in the SPFL Development League fixture held at Station Park. Both sides came into the match on good form with Dundee United overcoming Dunfermline and Hibernian continuing their unbeaten run with a 2-2 draw at St Mirren. 
Farid El Alagui continuing his return from injury for the Easter Road side was included in a squad which also contained three players on the bench for the previous weeks SPFL Championship match at Cowdenbeath in Martin Boyle, Sam Stanton and Danny Handling. Dundee United perhaps with one eye on Wednesday's Scottish Cup replay with Celtic did not included any over age players on match day.
Despite there being a lesser amount of first team experience the home side started brightly with Ola Aadeymo’s advance on Kleton Perntreou’s goal being brought to a halt by an offside flag. 
Following the let off Hibernian managed to gain a foothold in the match and some sustained pressure around the United area led to powerful effort from Handling which flew just wide of post. Untroubled by the previous effort from the Hibs number eight, Joe McGovern in the United goal had to be alert to collect a deep cross from Stanton with El Alagui lurking in the box.
It was clear Hibernian were looking to take advantage of the aerial prowess of the former Brentford man and another good delivery by Aaron Dunsmore almost led to the opening goal from El Alagui’s diving header. As the away side pressed for the opener they were almost caught on the counter, good work by Chris McGlaughlin resulted in a driven ball across goal which was just beyond the onrushing Aadeymo.
Following the chance for United the earlier pattern of play resumed with Stanton heavily involved, firstly having an effort on goal which drifted wide and delivering a cross into the box which rose above the heads of Boyle and El Alagui.  
Dundee United continued to soak up the pressure and almost took the lead through Jamie Montgomery’s effort which was parried to safety by Perntreou. Dunsmore continued to look lively and created the best chance of the half by playing a ball across goal which made its way to El Alagui who directed wide following a fresh air swipe by Boyle.
El Alagui had two further efforts to break the deadlock through a header which sailed wide and a low shot well held by McGovern. The United keeper was having a decent afternoon and was again called into action by a Stanton effort from just outside the box. Both sides would go into the half time break on level terms after Stanton’s free kick drifted over the bar.
  • Half Time:
  • Dundee United
  • 0-0
  • Hibernian FC
After the interval Hibernian continued to search for the opener with Danny Handling firing past the post after some good link up play. Dundee United responded with a period of sustained possession resulting in efforts from McGlaughlin and Montgomery which did not trouble Perntreou’s goal. Just as it looked as if the momentum was switching towards the home side, Hibernian struck the post following Dunsmore's delivery into the box.
In an attempt to break the deadlock the Easter Road Side made a double substitution on 64 minutes with Boyle and El Alagui being replaced by Taylor Hendry and Jordan Sinclair. The substitutions did not disrupt Hibernian's rhythm and the best move of the match involving Stanton, Handling and Sinclair called McGovern into action. Sam Stanton continued to be heavily involved and almost opened the scoring with a well-placed drive from the edge of the area. 
With ten minutes remaining Hibernian did break the deadlock later with Danny Handling reacting first to a loose ball in the box following an effort from Sinclair.
Dundee United had a chance to put some pressure on the Hibernian defence shortly after the opener, but McGlaughlin free kick drifted out of play.
On 82 minutes the victory was sealed, Danny Handling finishing of a powerful run with a stunning strike into the roof of the net. 
The last chance of the game went to the Robbie Muirhead of the home side, his free kick came back of the bar ensuring a clean sheet for Kleton Perntreou.
Overall Hibernian's sustained pressure eventually found a way past a resolute home defence, based on the evidence of today’s game it appears both sides are continuing in their traditions of producing high quality young players. 
  • Full Time:
  • Dundee United
  • 0-2
  • Hibernian FC


Dundee United
Hibernian FC
1. Joe McGovern
2. Cammy Ballantyne
3. Jamie Robson
4. Brad Smith
5. Harry Souttar
6. Chris McGlaughlin
7. Matt Smith
8. Scott Smith
9. Ola Adeyemo
10. Robbie Muirhead
11. Jamie Montgomery
12. Ryan Booth
14. Aaron Duke
15. Greg McNaughton
17. Davie Logan
1. Kleton Perntreou
2. Aaron Dunsmore
3. Callum Crane
4. Neil Martyneuk
5. Jordan Forster
6. Scott Scott
7. Scott Martin
8. Danny Handling
9. Farid El Alagui
10. Martin Boyle
11. Sam Stanton
12. Jordan McGregor
13. Alan Combe
14. Jordan Sinclair
15. Connor Duthie
16. Ben Sterling
17. Taylor Hendry
Star Player
Dundee United
Hibernian FC
Harry Souttar, dealt with numerous crosses into the box throughout the match and showed good skills on the ball when advancing forward.
Sam Stanton, involved in the majority of attacking play and unlucky not to get on score sheet.
Magic Moment
Dundee United
Hibernian FC
Robbie Muirhead's curling free kick which struck the bar just before full time.
Danny Handling's sensational strike which sealed the win for Hibernian.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments