Home My YFS

Partick Thistle successfully battle against the wind at Dundee FC

Dundee FC 1

Richards-Everton 22 (OG)

Partick Thistle 2

McInally 56, Leyden 57
  • Tuesday, 17 February 2015
  • Gayfield Park
  • Under 20´s
  • SPFL Development League

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Partick Thistle emerged as 2-1 winners in their SPFL Development league fixture against Dundee at Arbroath’s Gayfield Park. Dundee initially went up 1-0 courtesy of a freak Ben Richards-Everton own goal on the 22nd minute. Partick Thistle, however, responded brilliantly in the second half scoring two goals in 2 minutes to turn the match on its head.
The first opportunity in the match went the way of Dundee. Craig Wighton won a free kick right next to the corner flag following a push from Partick’s David Wilson. Wighton stepped up to take the resulting kick and duly launched the ball into the penalty area. While the delivery was threatening the Partick defence managed to clear the ball with relative ease.
Three minutes later and it was Partick’s turn to go close. Jordan Leyden took possession of the ball on the edge of the 18-yard box and attempted to curl the ball into the top right hand corner. Unfortunately the effort ended up being lashed high over the bar instead.
In the 22nd minute the first goal of the match came, and what a strange one it was. Dundee’s Josh Skelly took possession of the ball in the middle of the park and threaded a ball through the Partick defence aimed towards Wighton. It then became a straight race for the ball between Dundee’s attacker and Partick’s Richards-Everton with the big centre half looking the favourite. The defender did indeed reach the ball first but what happened next truly was extraordinary. In an attempt to pass a high ball back to his goalkeeper the number 5 put too much elevation on the pass. Unfortunately for Richards-Everton the ball looped high over goalie Scott Basalaj’s head and nestled in the back of the net.   
Five minutes later Richards-Everton nearly made amends for his earlier error. Partick were awarded a corner and the resulting kick was delivered straight into the penalty area. The centre back had gained a yard on his marker and rose to meet the ball with his head. His effort, however, flew just wide of the post.
In the 40th minute Dundee went close to doubling their lead through Skelly. The attacker made a fine run from the right into the penalty box before unleashing a fierce shot towards goal. With the angle against him Skelly did well to fire the ball just over the crossbar.
Partick’s Chris Dillon nearly created an opportunity just before the half time whistle. The wide man drove down the left flank and supplied a dangerous low cross. Unfortunately for him the ball was well cut out by Dundee’s Greg Warwick.
  • Half Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 1-0
  • Partick Thistle
Partick emerged from the half time break with renewed conviction that became evident as they took control of the opening minutes of the half. On 47 minutes Matthew McInally came close when he met a low cross just yards from the goal. The number 7 sliced his effort and the ball ended up flying away, rather than towards, the target.   
In the 54th minute it was the cross bar’s turn to deny Partick a goal. Following some penalty area pinball the ball broke free to the oncoming David Wilson who unleashed fearsome strike from the edge of the box. The ball thundered against the bar and the Dundee defence managed to clear.
Two minutes later began the defining period of the game with Partick scoring their equalising goal. Right back Ryan Finnie, after successfully evading two Dundee challenges, managed to fire in a great low cross from the right wing. The ball flashed across the face of goal and was met by McInally who had ghosted in unmarked at the back post to slot the ball home.  
Just a minute later Partick had their second and the game had completely changed. Wilson, after gaining possession of the ball, drove straight at the heart of the Dundee defence before laying a pass off to Jordan Leyden who had arrived to help. The number 8 fired his first time shot back across Calum Brodie, in goal, and the ball found its way into the bottom left hand corner.  
On the 60th minute Partick’s Kevin Nesbitt was put through into a one on one situation. Brodie was alert, raced out to meet the attacker and did incredibly well to save down at Nesbitt’s feet to keep the score at 2-1.
Three minutes afterwards and Brodie had to be called upon again. A miscued pass back from the Dundee defence fell into the path of McInally in the penalty area. Brodie was vigilant, once again, and raced out to meet McInally’s effort. The Dundee ‘keeper successfully blocked the attempt and helped to keep his side in the match.
The next opportunity arose 19 minutes from time when Chris Dillon made great driving run down the left flank. The winger then looked to deliver a cross to his awaiting teammates but unfortunately fired the ball way from any of his targets.
In the 80th minute Dundee went close to leveling the score. Jamie Reid managed to find his way into the opposition penalty area, dodging several challenges, before swiveling and taking a shot. Unfortunately, the forward lost his footing taking the edge off of his shot. Basalaj then comfortably claimed the loose ball.
Two minutes later Partick’s Wilson missed a golden opportunity to grab a third and put the game to bed.  After being put through by full back Dale Keenan the number 6 looked to bend his shot round the oncoming Brodie. There was, however, not enough bend on his effort and the ball struck the post and out, the second time Wilson had been denied by the frame of the goal.
As the game entered the 90th minute there was still time for one more chance at goal. Kevin Nesbitt broke through Dundee’s defense and looked to slot the ball home in the bottom right hand corner. He would have succeeded had it not been for the fingertips of Calum Brodie. The young goalkeeper made a splendid diving save to tip the ball past the post and out of play.
Shortly afterwards the referee concluded the match and Partick were left to enjoy their fine performance in the second half which turned the game in their favour. Dundee can take pride in a strong competitive performance and are sure to work to improve for their next league game against Falkirk.
  • Full Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 1-2
  • Partick Thistle


Dundee FC
Partick Thistle
1. Calum Brodie
2. Andy Black
3. Ben Priest
4. Kerr Waddel
5. Greg Warwick
6. Matty Allan
7. Calvin Colquhoun
8. Lee Cameron
9. Craig Wighton
10. Jamie Reid
11. Josh Skelly
12. Kyle Gourlay
14. Max Avolio
15. Calum McHardy
17. Ryan Gemmell
18. Dale Davidson
19. Cammy Black
20. Ross Cunningham
1. Scott Basalaj
2. Ryan Finnie
3. Dale Keenan
4. Jack Hendry
5. Ben Richards-Everton
6. David Wilson
7. Matthew McInally
8. Jordan Leyden
9. Kevin Nesbitt
10. Dominic Docherty
11. Chris Dillon
12. Marc Waters
14. Neil McLaughlin
15. Dominic McLaren
16. C Irvine
Star Player
Dundee FC
Partick Thistle
Craig Wighton – worked tirelessly in attack and ran the channels well. Kept the Partick defence on their toes and forced Richards-Everton into his mistake.
Dominic Docherty – impressive in Partick’s attacking play and gave the Dundee defenders a lot of problems with his creativity. Word of mention also goes to McInally for his work rate and that equalising goal.
Magic Moment
Dundee FC
Partick Thistle
That own goal. Not really magic but what a moment. Unless you’re Ben Richards-Everton.
David Wilson’s effort that thundered off the cross bar. If that had been just a couple if inches lower then we’d be discussing one spectacular shot.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments