Home My YFS

Salvesen 97's see off Larkhall to keep cup dream alive

Salvesen CFC 97's 3

Waddell 5' 47' Robertson 57'

Larkhall United AFC 1

McCrorie 3'
  • Saturday, 25 October 2014
  • Forrester High School
  • Under 19´s
  • Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup
South East region side Salvesen CFC 97’s progressed to round 4 of the Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup over Lanarkshire Football Development association side Larkhall United AFC. With the scores level at 1-1 with 45 minutes played, Salvesen came out the stronger in the second half grabbing two goals and utilizing the blustery conditions.
It was certainly not plain sailing though and with only minutes gone the visitors were in front. A free-kick from around 30 yards was whipped towards goal by Jordan McCrorie. With players lined-up inside the box it looked like someone would nudge it in, but instead it evaded everyone and found its way into the bottom corner of the net. 
However Salvesen didn’t linger on going behind and were level two minutes later. Ewan Waddell controlled the ball well on the right hand side before driving past the Larkhall defender and into the box. Then with remarkable ease Waddell simply slotted the ball into the bottom corner with his left foot from 18-yards. A wonderful finish from the number nine and a perfect response from the home side.
After the frantic start, neither side really built on their early goal. However, the momentum of the game had clearly swung in Salvesen’s favour as they seemed the more dangerous of the two sides.
They would have also taken the lead on 22 minutes if it wasn’t for a great save by Larkhall’s Jay McMahon. A shot towards goal would have comfortable for the goalkeeper before it took an awkward deflection off a defender. Thankfully for the visitors he was alert to the change in direction and showed great reactions to dive down and tip the ball round the post.
While Salvesen continued to push forward, it was almost Larkhall that took the lead again. With 37 minutes played, Dean Wilson advanced on goal and from the edge of the box blasted his shot towards goal. Unfortunately the ball bounced awkwardly for him at the last second and instead of rattling the net, his effort rattled the fence behind the goal.
However, the biggest moment before half-time was Salvesen’s missed penalty. Some quick counter-attacking football saw a great ball played into the feet of striker Adam Robertson. He showed good strength and quick feet to hold off the challenge of one defender inside the box, but as he turned back on himself with the ball he was clumsily challenged by a second defender. A clear penalty and well earned by Robertson.
Up stepped Calum Jackson from twelve yards and in the treacherous conditions, he ended up smashing the ball over the bar. Clear disappointment on the face of Jackson who immediately requested to come off after the miss. However, he picked himself up and carried on, thanks largely to motivation from his fellow players.
  • Half Time:
  • Salvesen CFC 97's
  • 1-1
  • Larkhall United AFC
Despite the missed opportunity beofre half time, Salvesen didn’t let it get them down and with two minutes gone in the second half they took the lead. An ambitious attempt from Waddell from around 35-yards out, helped somewhat by the wind, caught the Larkhall keeper out and ended up in the back of the net.
Three minutes later and Salvesen had the ball in the net again, only for offside to be called against Cameron McPhillips. A wonderful finish from the winger, but to no avail.
He was then involved in Salvesen’s next opportunity with 57 minutes played. A John Dunbar cross into the box bounced awkwardly and McPhillips and McMahon both challenged for the ball. It was the outfielder player that got to it first and headed the ball towards goal. His effort though had too much height on it and ended up going over the bar. In the end the Larkhall goalkeeper seemingly did enough to put him off.
The second half had seen very few opportunities for Larkhall and a moment of magic was going to be needed to create an opening in the Salvesen defence. Thankfully Ewan McTaggart could provide that. From just outside the box he dribbled forwards, beating two players in the process, before poking the ball towards goal. However, his effort didn’t have the power it needed to beat Andrew Smith and the Salvesen goalkeeper managed to deny him with his outstretched foot.
Despite the chance, Salvesen still looked the better of the two teams and they made it count with 67 minutes played. Waddell and Robertson combined beautifully in and around the edge of the box before Waddell cut the ball back to put it on a plate for Robertson. An easy finish made so by the intricate passing and movement.
Larkhall though didn’t lie down after going further behind and pushed forward in more numbers with the game becoming more stretched. However, from their best chance of the half they were denied by the ever alert Smith. A good corner in was eventually knocked towards goal and looked certain to hit the net if not for the Salvesen goalkeeper. He managed to get low and scoop the ball off the line, almost reaching behind himself to make the save. A wonderful bit of goalkeeping, especially given that he hadn’t be tested for large parts of the half.
In the final ten minutes Salvesen looked the more likely of the two teams to score. Their creative forces were again central to the opportunites. Waddell started off by smacking the post from a free-kick from 30 yards with 80 minutes played. No lift on the effort, he simply curled the ball towards goal only to be denied by the woodwork. 
It was then Robertson’s turn to test the Larkhall defence, but unfortunately for the striker they were resilient towards the end. A crossed ball in found the striker and he would have scored had it not been for a fantastic block on the line by Graeme Nisbet. 
The final chance of the match was created by McPhillips himself. The winger picked the ball up on the left touchline before powering a shot goal wards from 25-yards out. McMahon was alert though and the Larkhall goalie did well to tip the ball over the bar.
In the end it was a deserved win for Salvesen who go through to the next round of the competition, but both sides will perhaps be disappointed that the conditions which didn’t suit an attractive game of football.
  • Full Time:
  • Salvesen CFC 97's
  • 3-1
  • Larkhall United AFC


Salvesen CFC 97's
Larkhall United AFC
1. Andrew Smith
2. Cameron McPhillips
3. Robbie Dowie
4. Daniel Mitchell
5. Cameron Moir
6. Craig Berry
7. Ryan Campbell
8. Alex Hastie
9. Ewan Waddell
10. Lewis Ross
12. Calum Jackson
14. Shaun Serrels
15. John Dunbar
16. Adam Robertson
17. Max Condie
1. Jay McMahon
2. Kyle Scott
3. Adam Watson
4. Darren Marshall
5. Arron Brown
6. Ross Callan
7. Josh Anderson
8. Jordan McCrorie
9. Dean Wilson
10. Ewan McTaggart
11. Jordan Rodgers
12. Graeme Nisbet
14. Colin Burnside
15. Mark Japp
16. Christopher Brown
Star Player
Salvesen CFC 97's
Larkhall United AFC
Ewan Waddell - A number of candidates today, but Waddell edges it. Could have easily had a hat-trick of goals and assists had things gone Salvesen's way.
Ewan McTaggart - Came to life more in the second half but was a joy to watch with his ability to take on and beat a player.
Magic Moment
Salvesen CFC 97's
Larkhall United AFC
Salvesen's third goal was magical. Great football between two of their best players and an important goal to seal the match.
The opening goal for Larkhall set the tone and for the first five minutes, it looked like the visitors might dominate. If Salvesen hadn't equalized so shortly afterwards, the game could have been totally different.
Club Views
Salvesen CFC 97's
Larkhall United AFC
Match Video Highlights
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments