Home My YFS

Tynecastle too strong for spirited Blue Brazil

Blue Brazil BC 1

Mcaleavey, 35

Tynecastle FC 3

Dawson, 18, 21 Brown, 50
  • Saturday, 25 October 2014
  • Ventor Park
  • Under 16´s
  • SYFA Cup, 3rd Round

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Tynecastle FC produced a controlled display to see of Fife side Blue Brazil in the Trans World Soccer SYFA Cup 3rd Round in blustery conditions at Ventor Park. A second half strike from Cameron Mcaleavey was not enough for the home side, as two goals from Cameron Dawson and one from Sean Brown were enough to see the Edinburgh side safely through to the next round.
Both sides went into the game in fine form, and with a combined total of fifty six goals scored and only fourteen conceded over the last five games, the game had quite rightly been given a lot of hype.
The first chance fell to Tynecastle, as Murray Rose's right footed free kick brought a save from Matt Douglas in the Blue Brazil goal.
The opening fifteen minutes were predictably tight with both teams unwilling to concede first. Neil Lawrie had the best early chance for the home side, but having almost been played in on the left flank moments earlier he was unable to control a miss-hit clearance from Fraser Briton that would have seen him one on one with the Tynecastle goalkeeper.
Blue Brazil almost made the breakthrough when Lawrie fired in a low cross, but when the clearance fell to Mcaleavey just inside the area, his shot was blocked on the line by the Tyncastle defence.
The visitors were then sparked into life, and they were almost ahead themselves after Brok Robertson was released following some great hold up play by Dawson, but Jay Kilboy was unable to connect with his cross.
There wasn’t long to wait until the first goal did break the deadlock. With eighteen minutes played Dawson latched onto a Cameron Lidell free kick to dink his finish over the keeper.
Blue Brazil were not about to lie down though, and immediately set about looking for an equaliser. They found the visitors hard to break down, however, and were unable to take anything from two corners following promising build up play.  
As dangerous as Blue Brazil looked going forward, there was always a danger that Tynecastle could hurt them on the counter attack, and Brown almost doubled the lead with an audacious attempt at lobbing Douglas, but his volley landed just wide of the post.
After a frantic three minutes following the goal, Tynecastle took advantage of a mix up in the Blue Brazil defence to double their lead as Dawson went through on goal and fired a right footed shot into the top corner.
It was a real blow for Blue Brazil, but didn’t stop them pouring forward in search of a goal before half time. Lawrie was almost through on goal but for a fine last ditch tackle by Sam Rutherford.
Tynecaslte continued to look dangerous on the counter attack as they tried to protect their lead, and a superb cross from the right couldn’t quite find Dawson who was lurking, and on a hat-trick.
Blue Brazil continued to push forward, with Aiden Lindsays’ side footed shot bringing a fine save from Briton. Lindsay was again close following a free kick, but was unable to direct his header goalwards.
On thirty five minutes the home side would finally get their reward for a spirited response to going two nil down. Mcaleavey was played in past the last defender and controlled his right footed finish beautifully under the ‘keeper to set up a tense finish to the first half.
Tynecastle responded to the home sides’ goal by pushing hard to restore their two goal lead before half time. Kilboy went close with a right footed effort and Robertson was unfortunate not to find Dawson in the penalty area following a mazy run down the right wing.
  • Half Time:
  • Blue Brazil BC
  • 1-2
  • Tynecastle FC
With the second half only five minutes old, Tynecastle delivered what would prove to be the knockout blow to the home side. A free kick was allowed to bounce in the box, causing chaotic scenes as the ball pinballed around before finally being stabbed home by Brown.
It was the worst possible start for Blue Brazil, who had finished the first half strongly, but it did not stop the home side from looking to find a way back into the game.
Mark McKenzie was played in by Mcaleavey, but he was unable to get his shot away after a brilliant last ditch tackle. Lawrie was then almost through following a route one clearance from the goalkeeper, but he couldn't find a way past Briton.
Another goal for Tynecastle would have put the game beyond doubt, and there were a few hearts in mouths as Kilboy dragged a right footed shot just wide.
As the game entered the final half hour, Blue Brazil were within a whisker of setting up a grand stand finish, but were denied by the brilliance of Briton in the Tynecastle goal. First, he collected a dangerous cross from Ayden Knight; before producing the save of the match to deny Lawrie from point blank range, tipping over a side footed effort after a great cross from McKenzie.
Blue Brazil had their own ‘keeper to thank that the score remained at 1-3, with Douglas making a string of saves to keep his side in with a chance. First he stopped a point blank effort from Brown following some neat control in the box, before Liam Willis found Dawson unmarked in the box, only for his effort to be saved and then held at the second time of asking.
As both sides tired the pace of the game slowed dramatically, however Tynecastle continued to look dangerous when going forward, and the impressive Willis saw his cross collected by Douglas, while Robbie McPhersons’ cross from the right was pulled behind his teammates in the box. McPherson then took aim himself, cutting in from the left hand side and releasing a fierce right footed shot, again saved by Douglas.
 McPherson looked the most likely candidate to score next, and after latching onto a through ball from Rose knocked the ball past Douglas, only to see it cleared off the line by Blaine Cafferty.
There was just enough time left at the end of the game for Willis to fire over, and for one more drive forward from the home side through the tireless Lawrie, but there were to be no more goals as Tynecastle progress into the next round.
  • Full Time:
  • Blue Brazil BC
  • 1-3
  • Tynecastle FC


Blue Brazil BC
Tynecastle FC

3.Matt MILLS
6.Ayden KNIGHT
7.Ross Day
10.Neil LAWRIE
11.Cameron MCALEAVEY
14.Cameron SKELTON
16.Bradley SCOTT
17.Aiden LINDSAY

1.Fraser BRITON
3.Lewis McKAY
6.Murray ROSE
8.Murray HAND
9.Cameron DAWSON
11.Deschamp McDELLING
14.Cameron LIDELL
15.Sean BROWN
16.Robbie McPHERSON
17.Cameron SCOTT
18.Rory SMITH
19.Jordan WILSON

Star Player
Blue Brazil BC
Tynecastle FC
Cameron Mcaleavey - Along with Neil Lawrie gave everything for the Blue Brazil cause. Scorer of the all important goal for the home side.
Cameron Dawson - Two composed finished early on saw the away team race into a commanding position.
Magic Moment
Blue Brazil BC
Tynecastle FC
Cameron Mcaleaveys' goal was well deserved after a spirited response from the home side.
A point blank save from Fraser Briton to keep the score at 1-3 was a turning point in the game. Tynecastle never looked back.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments