Home My YFS

Barrhead's extra time goals see off Baillieston in spectacular semi final

Barrhead YFC 5

Ashe (2), McLaughlin, Etherson, Nhlapo

Ballieston Juniors 3

Watson, Paterson, Dickson
  • Final Result: Barrhead YFC 5-3 Baillieston Juniors (AET)
  • Sunday, 06 April 2014
  • K Park, Calderglen
  • Under 19´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Semi Final

Darren Carrigan | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

It was a dramatic game in East Kilbride, as Barrhead YFC took on Bailleston Juniors in the semi finals of the Scottish Cup. The tone was set right from kick off as Fraser McLaughlin picked up a back pass from Thomas McHaughey; letting fly from 20 yards to smack the post.
Barrhead built off the move applying more pressure, eventually they found Brian Ashe who twisted and turned in the 18 yard box – but couldn’t direct his left foot curler on target. Bailleston’s defence managed to settle after the opening salvo, Stephen Paterson making several top notch slide tackles to deny the Barrhead strikers.
Barrhead again threatened to break the deadlock, only for Sam McNeil’s final ball to get away from McGaughey. The game shifted from end to end, Bailleston managed to ask questions of the Barrhead back four, with Chris Watson and Stephen Paterson coming close.
The game's tempo was ratcheted up by Barrhead and it allowed McLaughlin and Jack Easdon to cut apart the Bailleston back line with some crisp passing. Easdon finished the move with a shot that rocketed into Stephen Thomson’s gloves.
Dale Dickson was the next to have a go at the Barrhead goal, taking a 20 yard shot that deflected off John Planas onto the post. The following corner was met by John Middleton who looked absolutely dominant in the air, rising above four or five of the opposition.
But the scoring was finally opened when Brian Ashe blitzed forward in the middle, pulling McLaughlin’s marker to him before he laid a nice reverse pass through into the penalty area for McLaughlin to put into the bottom corner on the 30th minute.
Bailleston proved they weren’t rolling over; a magnificent sequence picked out Paterson on the penalty spot who tried for a spectacular (and unlikely) overhead kick. But it only got so far as Anthony Etherson who cleared it well after his vital block.
Watson picked up a switch and form out of nowhere let fly from 26 yards on the half volley, Alistair Hughes didn’t manage to get his gloves behind it and it went into the roof of the net to make it all to play for. As Watson wheeled away in celebration the tension reached boiling point as with 39 minutes played we were back where we started.
The pace was frantic and half chances fell everywhere, though nobody managed to convert. Barrhead went into the break looking the most likely to get themselves in front, as Ashe McLaughlin and Sam McNeil all came close.
The first half was a great example of what both sides were capable of, with both sides using the ball well and causing trouble for their opposition.
  • Half Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 1-1
  • Ballieston Juniors
Barrhead continued to hammer away as Ashe and Easdon both caused Thomson trouble from outside the area, the goalkeeper seemed unbeatable and Bailleston were certainly grateful for his talent.
Paterson managed to get forward and cause the Barrhead boys some grief but the quick break was shut down by Easdon who tracked well back to clatter in from the side and end the quick break.
Barrhead went forward but McGaughey was forced far out wide, he found the half yard to put a ball across that absolutely begged to be headed home, though none of his teammates attacked it and nothing came from it.
A big switch from Bailleston’s Watson fell to Paterson who took it wider than he needed to but he managed to slot it in with the outside of his foot off the far post and in.  The Bailleston fans exploded into cheers as they took the lead on the 76th minute leaving Barrhead with a bit of a hill to climb.
Barrhead responded to the challenge, Ashe but a ball right across the goal only for Scott McPherson to hammer it away, next it was substitute Bani Nhlapo who threatened only for Thomson to rush out and snatch it from his feet.
They continued to apply the pressure, testing the Bailleston back line time and again. It looked like it was only a matter of time as the boys in black and white were beginning to tire and cramp.
McLaughlin managed to win Barrhead a penalty on the 89th minute beating 2 men n the left and cutting inside. He tried to play it in only to be brought down to set up the tensest finish imaginable.
McNeil was the man to step up and looked for the bottom left corner – only for Thomson to dive low and push it out. McLaughlin tried to repeat his previous run, but only managed to concede a goal kick.
Time ticked onwards and it seemed like a very long wait for Bailleston as Barrhead piled on attack after attack, and injury time minutes passed one after another.
A long ball to the edge of the box allowed Etherson to head it on to Nhlapo whose rebound fell to Etherson less than a yard from goal who touched it in to make the tie go to extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 2-2
  • Ballieston Juniors

Extra time’s first half was a scrappy affair and several Bailleston players went down with cramp and knocks, Barrhead were keen to capitalise and spread the ball form flank to flank. It was Easdon and McLaughlin who pulled all the strings going forward, both had explosive pace and gave it 110%.

Bailleston held on to the 103rd minute before Barrhead made it 3-2; Brian Ashe grabbed the goal after McLaughlin beat his marker and cut it back to Ashe on the penalty spot who calmly slotted home.

The lead was short lived as Dickson capitalised on a misplaced pass back to punish Barrhead from 10 yards out. The game was even yet again, on the 106th minute it looked like it was going to go all the way.

Barrhead resumed their offensive onslaught, working Bailleston hard with their wingers but the Baillieston team were managing to hang in there. Paterson tried a hopeful effort but it was too far out for only power to beat Hughes. Barrhead countered from the ensuing right away, breaking away with Ashe who slotted in Nhlapo who was racing away. The number 9 took it all the way and beat Thomson in the 1 v 1.

With 123 minutes gone, Barrhead had crushed Bailleston’s spirit by going 4-3 ahead.

It would only get worse as Barrhead put the final nail in the coffin a minute later. Nhlapo capitalised on a loose pass back, cutting it back to Ashe who finished calmly into an almost open goal.

Final Result: Final Result: Barrhead YFC 5-3 Baillieston Juniors (AET)


Barrhead YFC
Ballieston Juniors

1. Mark Parsons
2. Fraser McLaughlin
3. John Middleton
4. Anthony Etherson
5. John Planas
6. Ciaran O Donahue
7. Brian Ashe
8. Sam McNeil
9. Bani Nhlapo
10. Thomas McGaughey
11. Jack Easdon
13. Gavin Brown
15. Ryan Anderson
16. Graham Haughie
17. Alistair Hughes
18. Conor Bradley

1. Stephen Thomson
2. David Hunter
3. James Mclaughlan
4. John Dickson
5. Gerard Gallagher
6. Craig Mcintyre
7. Conor Brannigan
8. Chris Watson
9. Dale Dickson
10. Josh Robertson
11. Stephen Paterson
12. Lee Martin
13. Declyn Browne
15. Murray Calder
16. Ryan Cox
17. Scott McPherson

Star Player
Barrhead YFC
Ballieston Juniors
Fraser McGlaughlin was the Barrhead Man of the match: He caused the defence trouble wherever he was played. Fraser was the creative spark for Barrhead, with some sublime runs and great assists.
Steven Thomson was a star between the sticks. If it wasn't for the quality he was up against he would have kept a clean sheet - it just wasn't his side's day today and it was a shame that such a performance was on the losing side.
Magic Moment
Barrhead YFC
Ballieston Juniors
Barrhead's moment was when they went 3-2 up. The momentum was with them in extra time and this looked to be the goal that put them one foot in the final.
When Ballieston scored their second goal it looked like they had managed to seal away a very hard game. They really picked up their game in the 5 minutes prior and this was a just reward.
Club Views
Barrhead YFC
Ballieston Juniors
Chris Martin, Coach: "It was great for the boys to get this win, we worked really hard and it was a very entertaining game for the neutrals. However we have to take one thing at a time, we need to focus on our big game vs Bonnyton next before we worry about Airdrie."
Paul, Coach: "We played very well today, Stevie had a great game and he's been a big player for us all season. In the end they were a lot fitter than us and that seemed to be the difference maker as we approached the end of the game. Congratulations Barrhead, we hope you win it."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments