Home My YFS

Boswell beaming after humbling Hillwood in Scottish Cup final four

Ayr Boswell 4

Todd (2), Taylor, Meikle

Hillwood BC 2

Knox (2)
  • Sunday, 30 March 2014
  • Somerset Park, Ayr
  • Under 14´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Semi Final

Kyle Brown | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Ayr Boswell hosted Hillwood Boys Club in the semi-finals of the Under 14s Scottish Youth FA Cup. Playing the game at Somerset Park - the stadia of Ayr United's professional team - Boswell ran out 4-2 winners and advanced to the finals being held in May. Boswell were up 3-0 after only sixteen minutes, courtesy of a Gavin Todd double either side of a Jack Taylor header. They made it 4-0 only two minutes into the second half when Robbie Meikle swept home. Hillwood captain Barry Knox did grab a couple of late consolation goals in the dying moments of the match - however it was too little, too late for the away side and Boswell were the team celebrating at the full-time whistle. 
Boswell could not have started the match any brighter than they did. Inside two minutes, they took the lead when Todd pounced onto a cut-back from the right to fire his side into the lead.
Buoyed by a huge crowd, Boswell were relentless in the opening minutes, and were two-nil up only five minutes in. It was Taylor who got the second, timing his run to perfection to nod the ball beyond Ross Stoddart in the Hillwood goal.
They then had a couple of more chances in quick succession: first, Meikle attempted to flick his header in at the near post but his effort went marginally wide. Then, Arran Sawyer's cheeky corner almost went straight in at the back post, but Stoddart managed to just get back and stretch in time to divert the ball wide.
A third Ayr Boswell goal looked inevitable, and it arrived on the sixteen minute mark when Todd doubled his tally for the game. First, Meikle drove beyond his marker and sent in a stunning cross - however, no one anticipated it and the ball went all the way to the back post to Taylor. Picking up the pieces, he drilled in a cross that took a wicked deflection that produced a wonderful reaction save from Stoddart. However, Todd was on hand to fire his team three nil ahead and to raise the Somerset Park roof by sending the crowd into raptures. 
Hillwood were stunned in the opening passage, but did get back into the game a bit in the second period of the first half. Kyle Alexander would have been in utter disbelief that his effort on a rebound did not end up in the back of the net; with the goal gaping the striker had did everything he could... only for Boswell's Jordan Bell to slide in and deflect the ball out for a corner, somehow denying Hillwood what looked like a certain goal. 
Then, Knox had a half-volley well held by David Hill in the Boswell goal.
It was almost 4-0 on the stroke of half-time when Arran Sawyer raced one on one with Stoddart, however the keeper again denied the pacy winger - this time using his leg to block the effort. 
Derry McGettigan almost pulled a goal back for Hillwood with a lob: he looked to have caught out Hill but the ball didn't come down enough and instead it remained atop of the roof of the net. That effort concluded the first half, with the whistle blowing straight after. 
  • Half Time:
  • Ayr Boswell
  • 3-0
  • Hillwood BC
Unquestionably, Boswell were the brighter side in the first half. It was just their day: everything seemed to be going just right for them, taking their chances and denying others that perhaps on a different day Hillwood would have buried. 3-0 isn't always enough in youth football, and the next goal would be crucial. All in all, this was the biggest thirty-five minutes of the season coming up for both sides, they both knew it and they knew the next goal would be vital. 
And the home side got the crucial goal three minutes after the restart. If there was ever a way to clinch a place in a National Trophy final, this was it: a beautiful move starting and finishing with Meikle ultimately killed off the tie. Receiving the ball in his own half with his back to goal, Meikle turned and played a marvellous through ball onto Sawyer. Using his pace efficiently, the winger drove into the box and curled an effort that was just about saved by Stoddart - however, Meikle had continued his run all the way into the box to sweep home the killer fourth goal. 
From that point onwards, it appeared that Boswell completely took their foot off of the gas. It could cost them too, as Hillwood looked more very dangerous in the closing stages of the game. 
First, McGettigan nicked the ball beyond Hill. Cruelly, it went narrowly wide - perhaps even worse was the fact that the Hillwood fans were up cheering and celebrating, thinking that the ball was actually in. 
With twelve minutes remaining, Knox must have thought he had pulled one back for his side when he blasted a shot from inside the six hard box, however it was deflected onto the crossbar by the boot of Jack Reid. The rebound went wide, and it looked now that Hillwood could play all day, create many a chance and still not score. 
This notion was quickly dismissed, as Knox did get a goal when he headed home from a free kick with little over five minutes left. 
In the first of three added minutes, Knox converted a second from close range to make it 4-2, leaving replacement goalkeeper Grady McTaggart with no chance. 
It came way too late for Hillwood and by the time they had scored Boswell had taken off many of their star performers to receive standing ovations from the crowd. One man they daren't not take off was the magnificent Jack Reid, who prevented a few long balls from being put into the danger zone, and perhaps preventing an extremely nervous finish. 
However, it never came to be and at full-time the result was never in doubt. Sheer jubilation for Boswell as they are now only one match away from being crowned National Champions.
The game was practically over by the sixteenth minute, and credit must go to Boswell for keeping the lead and progressing onto the Final, where I'll surely see them again up at Airdrie's Excelsior Stadium. Hillwood did not play too badly though, and on another day they may have been the team celebrating at full time. Credit must also go to the spectators of both teams, turning out in great numbers and generating lots of noise. The full Main Stand at Somerset Park was completely full to the brim! Lastly, I'd like to congratulate both sides on getting to this stage of the competition, and all the best in their domestic leagues and regional trophies. 
However, maybe if Boswell win the trophy in May, they will pick better post match tunes to dance to in the dressing room! 
  • Full Time:
  • Ayr Boswell
  • 4-2
  • Hillwood BC


Ayr Boswell
Hillwood BC
1. Grady McTaggart (Gk)
3. Jack Reid
4. Daniel Robinson
5. Lee Barrett
6. Jordan Bell
7. Gavin Todd
8. Gavin McNae
9. Robbie Meikle
10. Jack Taylor
11. Ryan Whyte
12. David Hill (Gk)
14. Dario Nimmo
16. Josh Higginson
17. Arran Sawyer
18. Mitchel Lamont
19. Kai Poole
1. Sam Apczynski (Gk)
2. Lee Campbell
3. Jay Leslie
4. Sam McBurnie
5. Nathan Durham
6. Connor Stewart
7. Kyle Alexander
8. Barry Knox (C)
9. David James
10. Stefan Downey
11. Kyle Taylor
12. Derry McGettigan
14. Connor Little
15. Jack Mitchell
18. Jamie Kilday
72. Ross Stoddart (Gk)
Star Player
Ayr Boswell
Hillwood BC
Jack Reid. Marvelous throughout. Did not put a foot wrong. He was so good he outshone even some of the Ayr Boswell forward's who equally put in a good display. He also gave a great interview after the game, telling me how he'd love to have a career in football like his Uncle Brian Reid, one time Ayr United manager. Should that happen though, I hope he'll turn out for that other team in Ayrshire where I am a season ticket holder... Rather than the team whose home park young Jack put in a 10/10 display!
Barry Knox. The Captain put in a great shift in midfield. He was unlucky with a few long range efforts, showed a wide range of passing and also got both his sides goals today! Didn't deserve to be on the losing side, but that can be said for all of his team mates too.
Magic Moment
Ayr Boswell
Hillwood BC
Boswell's opening goal gave them the confidence to go on and get the rest, booking a place in the final along with it. Also, it got the crowd going right from the offset, which made the day just that bit more enjoyable.
Knox's header to pull one back was fitting moment, as they deserved the goal and have the crowd something to cheer massively about - using that to portray their pride of the team getting this far!
Club Views
Ayr Boswell
Hillwood BC
Ayr Boswell Star Player, Jack Reid, said: "I'm shocked we've made it to the final! Last year we only got to the last sixteen! It's unbelievable! The fact that so many people have turned up to watch just spurred us on! To be honest with you, I expected there to be not even one hundred people coming, but there's over five hundred surely, as that stand is completely full! It certainly helped in motivating us. Playing at Somerset Park is amazing as well! I thought the game would be played at a standard pitch like the KG5 again, but instead we get this! It's amazing, and the park is in great condition even though just yesterday Ayr United were playing on it! I am an Ayr fan and my uncle was the manager of Ayr at one point, so actually to play here is a phenomenal feeling that I hope will be repeated again soon! We did a lot of fitness and ball work on training nights and our preparation has payed off... Those opening sixteen minutes were surreal! Lastly, I'm not sure how we'll get on in the final as at this stage all the teams are class. Hillwood are a great team too, but it was our day today. Hopefully in May, it'll be our day again!"
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments