Home My YFS

Tynie beat Edina in eight goal Scottish Cup thriller

Tynecastle FC 5

Graham, Quinn, G.Kerr (2), Naismith

Edina Hibs BC 3

Smith, Connachan, Bell
  • Sunday, 30 March 2014
  • St. Marks' Park, Edinburgh
  • Under 17´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Semi Final

Chris Martin | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Tynecastle 17s twice came from behind to book their place in the Scottish Cup final with a 5-3 victory over Edina Hibs. It continued Tynecastle's incredible run of reaching all five national finals at the 1997 age group.
In an entertaining, action-packed and occasionally controversial semi-final at St. Marks’ Park the league rivals played out a real spectacle for those in attendance. In misty conditions, the game began with both sides scrapping for the ball looking to take the initiative.
It was back and forth with no clear cut chances till around the half hour mark when Edina had the first real chance of the match. It was taken in rather spectacular style. A freekick to the left of the area was passed square to Ryan Smith who unleashed a fantastic curling effort on goal. It flew past the outstretched Jamie Shiel and into the top corner.
The great start for Edina Hibs almost got even better two minutes later. Darren McCraw was put through on goal after racing past the Tynie defence, only to be denied by the onrushing Shiel.
It was Tynecastle who made the next mark on the game, bringing the scores level after some determined ball-chasing. After some good work on the left-hand side, the ball was whipped into the box by Jason Kerr which found Matthew Graham who slipped the ball past the goalie from a tight angle.
Just before half-time Edina were back in front though. A corner into the area was met by an ambitious acrobatic effort that flew into the path of Tyler Connachan who stabbed the ball at goal. This brought about a great reflex save by Shiel but the Tynie goalkeeper could do nothing to prevent Connachan from smashing in the rebound from close-range.
  • Half Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 1-2
  • Edina Hibs BC
The second half began, and in the same pattern as the first, it was end to end attacking football from both sides, desperate to book a place in the cup final. It wasn’t pretty as the game became more and more physical, but the players from both teams couldn’t care less how the goals were going to come, just as long as the back of the net was found.
Ten minutes into the second half Tynecastle brought the scores level again thanks to a set-piece. Matthew Quinn got on the end of a corner before smashing the ball onto the crossbar and into the back of the net much to the jubilation of his teammates.
It was now Tynecastle who were in the ascendancy, looking to go on to win the game, after Edina had looked more promising in the first 45. They were looking dangerous and in the 65th minute their efforts had paid off as they grabbed the 5th goal of the game. On the attack Tynie were passing the ball with confidence, and after a neat one-two on the left hand side Greg Kerr received the ball in the area and slotted home nicely past Chris Scott.
In a two minute salvo Tynie extended their lead, and it was Kerr again on the score sheet. Again, Tynecastle worked the ball in behind the Edina defence, this time on the right hand side. Kerr received it and placed it with ease past the goalie.
A lifeline came for Edina with 13 minutes left to play when they were awarded a penalty when one of their players was hauled down in the box. Leon Bell stepped up to take the spot-kick and sent Shiel the wrong way, burying the ball in the bottom left corner.
From here Edina must have thought they were in with a chance with ten minutes to go, but the cup dream was shattered late on as Tynecastle scored a fifth to put them out of sight and into the Scottish Cup final. On the counter David Henderson delivered a low cross into the area which was met by Laurence Naismith who buried the ball past the goalkeeper.
It was a closely-fought tie with both teams desperate to be in the final but Tynie’s determined attitude got them over the line with a 5-3 victory. They’ll now face Antonine (who they've faced twice before in the very same game, with one win a piece) in the final with Scottish Cup glory at stake.
  • Full Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 5-3
  • Edina Hibs BC


Tynecastle FC
Edina Hibs BC

1. Jamie Shiel
2. David Wright
3. Calum Cowan
4. Matthew Quinn
Liam Howel
6. Joe Walker
8. Jason Kerr
9. Greg Kerr
10. Ciaron Small
11. Matthew Graham
14. Euan Graham
15. Cameron Jeffrey
16. Ryan Mayer
17. Liam Thompson
18. David Henderson
19. Laurence Naismith

1. Elias Mukora
2. Ryan Dawson
3. Branden Torrance
4. Daniel Tomassi
7. Darren McCraw
8. Ryan Smith
9. Tyler Connachan
10. Conner Dyet
11. Leon Bell
12. John Fleming
14. Jack Pullar
15. Ryan Keirney
16. Kerr Scott
17. Connor Burke
19. Chris Scott

Star Player
Tynecastle FC
Edina Hibs BC
Tynie's Ciaron Small was a great impact substitute in the second half and his pace and trickery got Edina on the backfoot. He helped his side build pressure in order to get back into the game.
Edina's Daniel Tomassi was a very vocal and commanding player who kept his teammates heads up and focused throughout. Despite the result his effort levels never dropped.
Magic Moment
Tynecastle FC
Edina Hibs BC
The two minute brace by Greg Kerr guaranteed a place in the final for Tynie. His composure in front of goal was vital.
A fantastic long-range goal from Ryan Smith broke the deadlock and stunned those watching.
Club Views
Tynecastle FC
Edina Hibs BC
David Lapping, club secretary of Tynecastle FC, said: "This team never gives up, we came back from 2-0 down in the quarter finals. We stepped it up a gear in the second half."
Mark Tomassi, coach of Edina Hibs, said: "I'm disappointed of course, but the lads gave it a good go today and I'm proud of them. I don't think there was a lot in it really but Tynecastle came out strongly in the second half."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments