Home My YFS


JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 1212

Sunday, 22 September 2013 19:32

Tynecastle come from behind to see off Leith

Written by 
Rate this item
(1 Vote)
Leith Athletic
Tynecastle FC
J. Henderson
D. Henderson


U16 South East Region YFL - Division 1
22 September 2013
Author: Michael Ahari

Daryl Henderson’s late goal snatched a 2-1 victory over Leith Athletic at Meadowbank. Conal Prior’s goal had given Leith the lead but the home side were pegged back shortly before halftime when Jake Henderson poked home.
The win puts Tynecastle second in the league, but it was a game which lacked quality and cutting edge. Stephen Park of Tynecastle lamented the lack of flow in the game.
“It was a poor game. We’re not used to this surface, it’s very bouncy and the ball doesn’t stick. We’ll take it though.”
There was no doubting that Tynecastle’s defence would have been most relieved with the win after their shaky start. They were beaten by the first ball Leith played over the top, as Marco McBride brought it down in the box, the Tynecastle centre backs falsely claiming offside, and cut the ball back for Prior to nonchalantly back heel into the empty net.
Leith’s direct style of play was causing Tynecastle problems and, had it not been for keeper Kieran Green arriving at the edge of the box to save Prior’s effort, they could have been two down with just fifteen minutes on the clock.
But such was the scrappy nature of this game, Leith never built on their lead. It was no surprise then that they were punished by Tynecastle in the thirty fifth minute. Jake Henderson found himself in the perfect position to net when the ball bobbled away from team mate Jason Aitken.
The confidence Tynecastle gained from the equaliser was visible and they might have gone in to the break leading had Daniel Headspeath struck more powerfully at Aaron King’s goal.
Half Time: Leith Athletic 1-1 Tynecastle FC
Leith threatened to start the second half as they did the first after Jamie Chapman’s shot bounced just wide of goal. However, their play petered out as the half wore on.
Daniel Matthews, striding forward frequently from right back, opened up the opportunity for Daryl Henderson to strike but he shot straight at King.
The introduction of Dan Hanna was positive in an attacking sense for Tynecastle. The number eight’s well weighted pass set up Daryl Henderson who could not find a way past the Leith keeper.
However, with five minutes remaining, Tynecastle’s number seven was on hand to strike the ball into the empty goal after King struggled to punch the ball clear. The goal was perhaps fortunate for Tynecastle as a winner for either side seemed an unlikely possibility.
Leith’s Colin Scott was disappointed with the quality of Leith’s play. He commented: “It was a scrappy game with no flow; always stopping and starting.
“It’s frustrating because we know that in training we teach these boys to pass, it just doesn’t show in the games.”

Full Time: Leith Athletic 1-2 Tynecastle FC


Leith Athletic Tynecastle FC
1. Aaron King
2. Ross Aitchison
3. Rory Pilbeam
4. Murray Scott
6. James Burt
7. Lee Thomson
8. Coll Reekie
9. Calum Smart
10. Ewan Stark
11. Jamie Chapman
14. Conal Prior
15. Calum Sandison
16. Jay McManus
17. Marco Mcbride
18. Jarek Wdowiak
55. Kieran Green
2. Daniel Matthews
3. Daniel Headspeath
4. Aaron Nugent
5. Scott Cameron
6. Mark Mathison
7. Daryl Henderson
8. Dan Hanna
9. Sean Waterston
11. Alexander Hutchison
12. Lloyd Fiddler
14. Samer Lazim
15. Jake Henderson
16. Sonny Swanson
17. Kacper Korpalski
18. Jason Aitken
Marco McBride looked sharp and dangerous up front for Leith, especially in the first half
Sonny Swanson was always an outlet for Tynecaslte and most of their attacking threat came through the winger.
Last modified on Sunday, 22 September 2013 21:55

Login to post comments