Home My YFS
Sunday, 02 June 2013 23:11

Falkirk see off determined Well to lift cup

Written by  Ian Dibdin
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Falkirk FC Girls
Motherwell FC Girls
13's SWF Central League Cup - Final
Ochilview, Stenhousemuir
Falkirk travel the short distance from Ochilview as League Cup champions to place the cup in Westfield stadium, Falkirk> Worthy winners yes, the game was an exciting match and although the Bairns enjoyed the bulk of the play they were to be denied by an excellent 'Well keeper and a dogged defense who competed for the entire match.

Falkirk started slightly nervily but soon got into their flow with Lindsey rock solid at the back and Chelsea looking dangerous every time she got on the ball, the girls were playing well and changing the point of attack at various stages to get the breakthrough. That did come after 13 minutes when Chelsea bore down on the keeper after a throw in turned the defense she was the braver and the loose ball ended in the net for a deserved lead.

Falkirk looked to press the advantage but is was Motherwell that started to take the game forward and and put the Bairns under some pressure however this didn't cause the girls any real problem as far as chances went, it was the Bairns who looked more likely to extend the lead with more space in the back of the 'well defense. Chelsea latched onto a Leah ball on the right and the pass inside was met by Megan who tried to find her slot however it was hit wide in one of the best chances of the half.

Half Time: Falkirk FC Girls 1-0 Motherwell FC Girls

The second half saw the girls with the wind and a positive feeling that this would help the possession play for the Bairns, however the ball was overplayed and chances were fewer between and although set pieces were the best chances the keeper was more than up for the task.

As the game was closing out the opposition were to carve open a chance when the fast moving 'well attack opened up the girls to leave the wide right player to ghost in at the back to score with a good finish. This was the first time the Claire was called upon to make a save, such was the level of possession however she had no chance to stop the equaliser.

Falkirk were to go on the push again and Lindsey driving from the back came close on a couple occasions, the counter was an issue, however Leah dropped in to close the back door and as the half ran out the girls were happy to move the game into extra time they were looking the stronger.

Zoe's low drive and Katia's header came close, Taylor looked busy throughout forcing the opposition to play out early, Rhiann made some important challenges and used the ball well.

Keavy started the half and looked to get forward, Erin replaced her and continued the good work in defense, Megan's final was cut short after a knock to the ankle but used the ball well Orla took up a wide right position and her athleticism gave the 'Well midfield a difficult time.

Full Time: Falkirk FC Girls 1-1 Motherwell FC Girls

In the first period of extra time Falkirk were to test the keeper a couple of times from distance however the best chance fell to 'Well when a corner for Falkirk left a 1 on 1 at the back and the striker got the best of Lindsey for the first time and the resulting shot was to be saved by Claire in the save of the day. Although it was in the first period of the extra time period it was a vital save and it spurred the girls into action.

Falkirk were started to be more direct and when Katia's shot found the net; the keeper mistimed a straight forward pick up. It was much to the delight of the Falkirk fans and players after this point no clear chances were made before the half time whistle. 

The second half saw a tiring 'Well team being put under the clash and when Leah started to have more room in the middle she was to hit the up right with the keeper rooted to the spot. The resulting scramble saw the ball cleared, however Leah wasn't going to be denied and when Lindsey drove forward played the ball into her path the resulting shot was goal bound and gave the fans and players an unassailable 3-1 lead. Falkirk could now play the ball around and wait for the final whistle.

The final score may not have reflected the game however all credit to Motherwell for making this a memorable game. They tried to neutralize our attack and they clearly had done their homework, however the standard of play from Falkirk was just that bit too much to bridge the gap. All credit for a magnificent effort and at 1-1 they had a chance to take the lead, Falkirk will be pleased with the win and the fantastic fans were in full voice and heard throughout the game without a doubt helped the girls to dig deep.

Motherwell sportingly attended the post match buffet and the players and fans agreed this was a cracking game which will not be forgotten in a hurry.
Motherwell will be a severe test in the league later in the season, but the girls have played well and no-one will grudge Falkirk the cup on this showing.

Thanks to all in attendance for their excellent support, from both sides the stand at Stenny echoed with noise with every attack, shot, ref decision throughout the game and not forgetting the roof being lifted off when Katia gave us the lead in extra time. Thanks also to Sandy and Stenny for the use of Ochilview, also to Andy, Gillian, Michael and the SWF staff for an excellent venue and well run event, last but not least for the referee who allowed the game flow into an absolutely fantastic game.

Final Result: Falkirk FC Girls 3-1 Motherwell FC Girls

Last modified on Wednesday, 21 August 2013 09:55
Login to post comments