Home My YFS
Sunday, 12 May 2013 12:00

Last gasp Tynecastle pip Albion to Scottish Cup

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Albion BC
Tynecastle FC
Dawson 69


U14 SYFA Challenge Cup - Final
Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie

James Hunter

By James Hunter
YFS West Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @james_hunter91

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

albion vs tynecastle U14
View Photo Galleries - Pre Match | First Half | Second Half | Post Match
View Video Highlights | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs | Player Profiles
Return to the YFS SYFA Challenge Cup Finals Match Centre (coverage of all finals)

The first of Sunday’s SYFA Challenge Cup finals kicked off with Edinburgh side Tynecastle taking on Aberdeen outfit Albion BC. It was final heartbreak for Albion as a last minute strike from Tynecastle’s Cameron Dawson secured an eighth Challenge Cup for the team from the Capital.

The game got off to a frantic start with Tynecastle’s Brok Robertson winning a corner with less than a minute on the clock. Tynecastle had the best of the opening exchanges and the first real chance of the match fell to Robertson who fired his effort wide.

Albion tried to gain a foothold in the match and brave goalkeeping from Tynecastle’s Fraser Briton denied Liam Morrison who burst through down the right hand side of the box.

A weak clearance from Briton saw the ball fall to Mitchell Cheyne who tried a speculative effort from 40 yards after spotting the goalkeeper off his line but the effort didn’t have enough power on it and was easy for Briton to win. It was then Jack Odlin’s turn to put pressure on the goalkeeper. He did well to power down the right wing for Albion and despite dome pressure from the defender he whipped a ball into the box that Briton grabbed with ease.

A foul from Lewis Paton on Matthew Brady gave Tynecastle a good free kick opportunity for Murray Rose which he curled wide of the right hand post from around 25 yards out. Paton was involved again but his tackle was spot on as he stopped Cameron Dawson in his tracks following a neat exchange with Brady to stop him running through on goal.

Dawson and Brady continued to link up impressively for Tynecastle. Dawson dropped deep to pick up a loose ball before he played in Brady who broke down the right. Albion’s Jamie Hay stuck close by the striker but, after cutting inside on to his right foot, the shot was weak and it was an easy stop for Cameron Jarvie in the Albion goal.

Tynecastle came close to breaking the deadlock with Dawson seeing an effort superbly blocked by Jarvie. The keeper then made another top save with his feet to deny the follow up from Robertson before Hay outmuscled Brady to get the ball away.

The Edinburgh side soon won a free kick just outside the dee and to the left. It was Rose again who went for goal and it was another great stop by Jarvie before Robertson saw his rebounded effort blocked and the ball was eventually scrambled away.

The final effort of the half, unsurprisingly, fell Tynecastle’s way. Albion defender Paton’s header back towards Jarvie was weak and allowed Dawson to get a shot away with the keeper stranded but the ball rolled agonisingly wide as the half finished goalless.

Half Time: Albion BC 0-0 Tynecastle FC

Tynecastle started the second half as the strongest again; a long ball into the box was headed wide for a corner by Albion’s Hay. The ball was whipped to the six yard box and headed in by Brady but the goal was chopped off following a foul on the keeper.

Albion’s started to grow into the match and midfielder Morrison went close with a free kick which Briton failed to gather and the ball went out for a corner. The corner was driven in low but hit the post and went wide.

Tynecastle were left frustrated again as they had another goal disallowed. Dawson saw his effort palmed away but only as far as substitute Callum Crawford who prodded the ball over the line but the linesman flagged for an infringement.

Dawson looked like he would open the scoring but it was a fresh air shot after the lively Crawford burst through the defence before laying off the big striker. He took a superb touch to control the ball but misjudged the situation and sliced the ball.

Albion had a shout for a penalty turned down after a mazy run down the right hand side by Odlin was halted by what seemed like a shove by a defender but nothing was given much to the angst of the Albion support.

There was late heartbreak for Albion as Dawson fired home superbly. A bounce fooled Hay and found substitute Tod Rowell who motored down the left and smashed a shot goal-ward which Jarvie could only palm into the air. Albion failed to clear their lines and the ball fell perfectly for the superb Dawson who blasted the ball past the helpless Jarvie to grab a last minute winner.

There was still time for some more late drama as the referee gave Albion an indirect free kick in the box for timewasting. The impressive Odlin laid the ball off to Morrison who curled the effort just wide with the aid of a deflection. However, the corner came to nothing as Tynecastle managed to hold on to clinch cup glory.

Full Time: Albion BC 0-1 Tynecastle FC

Albion BC Tynecastle FC
1. Cameron Jarvie
2. Andrew Donald
3. Craig Armstrong
4. Jamie Hay
5. Fraser Gordon
6. Mitchell Cheyne
7. Jack Odlin
8. Lewis Paton
9. Tyler Ogston
10. Jordan Sangster
11. Liam Morrison
12. Josh Bolton
14. Oscar Slater
16. Finlay Johnston
17. Jordan Reid
18. Mantus Mickevicius

Team Statistics
Free kicks won: 12
Free kicks conceded: 9
Corners: 3
Shots: 4
Shots on target: 3
Headers won: 21
Tackles won: 16
Passes completed: 56
1. Fraser Briton
2. Brok Robertson
3. Bruce McCrorie
4. Ben Voy
6. Murray Rose
7. Callum Crawford
8. Liam Willis
9. Cameron Dawson
10. Murray Hand
11. Matthew Brady
12. Robbie McPherson
14. Tod Rowell
16. Jay Kilboy
17. Lewis Docker
18. Cameron Liddell

Team Statistics
Free kicks won: 9
Free kicks conceded: 12
Corners: 5
Shots: 19
Shots on target: 7
Headers won: 34
Tackles won: 34
Passes completed: 124 
paton   Lewis Paton defended brilliantly throughout the game. His side were desperately close to keeping a clean sheet, and Paton was a major factor in that. Did not deserve to be on the losing side.
Cameron Dawson Cameron Dawson was the match winner for Tynecastle, supplying a superb finish for the moment which won the cup. He lead the line excellently throughout and didn't let his head go down despite near misses.
Last modified on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 11:24
James Hunter

James Hunter | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments