Home My YFS
Thursday, 02 May 2013 11:37

Coleman hat-trick sends Tynie on the way to derby win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle F.C

Coleman (3)


East of Scotland 21's
Saughton Park

Scott Thomson

By Scott Thomson
YFS South-East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @thomson_scott

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

The old football cliché of taking your chances was never more prevalent in this East of Scotland encounter between two local rivals, who served up a tasty encounter at Saughton in what was billed as a clash of two title contenders.

Yet, with Hutchie having by far the better chances in the first half they found themselves two-nil down at the break to a Tynecastle side who didn’t seem to be as up for the occasion as their opponents in the opening 30 minutes.

At one stage Tynie found themselves 5-nil up, with a large chunk of the match still to play, largely down to the exquisite finishing from their centre forward Scott Coleman who grabbed himself a superb hat-trick.

However, it was Hutchie’s striker James Guy who was causing the Tynie defence trouble in the early stages of the first half. The diminutive attacker showed pace and trickery to outsmart the Tynie defence, before being felled in the area after only seven minutes to win his side a penalty.

Louis Swanson stepped up, and his effort appeared to be heading for the bottom corner only for Sean Diamond to dive to his right to make the stop.

Hutchie seemed determined to get the all-important first goal and Guy had a chance to open the scoring himself at the back post after a cross from Willis Hare found him, but his header crashed off the bar.

Swanson then had another chance after Ali Adams had played a lovely inside pass from the edge of the box to Swanson, who had broken free of his marker. His shot looked to be heading for the top corner but just drifted wide.

Would Hutchie be left to rue these missed chances? They would, as Tynie opened the scoring with really their first memorable attempt on target after 34 minutes.

The ball broke from a corner to the edge of the box, just nicely for Gordon Harris; the left midfielder’s shot from around 20 yards flying into the top corner.

Tynie then grabbed a second before half-time, with Coleman opening his account for the match.

Darryn Hlabangana, the pacy left back for Hutchie ventured out from the back but conceded possession midway inside his sides half to gift the ball to Tynie. The ball found its way to Coleman, who you’d have expected to finish low under Matthew Banks, but audaciously he went for the chip, and it paid off as it nestled in the back of the net.

Half Time: Hutchison Vale 0-2 Tynecastle FC

Tynie certainly didn’t deserve to find themselves two goals to the good at the break and the Hutchie side looked visibly shocked at the score line considering the wealth of opportunities they had in the first period.

A quick-fire double from Tynie 15 minutes into the second half wrapped up the match as Hutchie began to look as if they didn’t want to be there.

Scott Hume got his first of the match after the ball broke to him on the edge of the box and he sent his shot in off the post before Hutchie had barely restarted when Coleman got his second, superbly placing a shot from about 20 yards into the top corner of the net.

Despite the 4-0 score line being harsh on Hutchie, Tynie had to be given credit for their ruthlessness in front of goal; they seemed to take every chance in front of them.

Coleman wrapped up his hat-trick with 15 minutes to goal as Tynie made it five. He was played through one-one-one with Banks and showed composure to dummy his was past the ‘keeper and place the ball in the empty net.

There were rumblings amongst the crowd about 5-1 being a possible score line (an Edinburgh maroon team achieving the same score line in May 2012), and one of the Hutchie players certainly looked like he wanted it to be the case; the best outcome he could hope for considering his side found themselves 5-nil down.

Andy Cosgrove pulled a goal back for his side with a header from a corner before Sean Guiney added another consolation for Hutchie in the last five minutes, but it was all too late.

 Full Time: Hutchison Vale 2-5 Tynecastle FC

Hutchison Vale Tynecastle FC
1. Matthew Banks
3. Zane Nicolson
4. Ryan Ferguson
5. Robbie Mason
6. Ryan Davidson
7. Louis Swanson
8. Martyn Robinson
9. Willis Hare
10. James Guy
11. Ali Adams
15. Darryn Hlabangana
16. Sean Guiney

18. Craig Rigg
19. Conner Handren
20. Andrew Cosgrove
1. Sean Diamond
2. Gavin McCarthy
3. Greig Jardine
4. Andrew Summers
5. Andrew Munro
6. Ross Yeoman
7. Scott Houston
8. Scott Hume
9. Lewis Russell
10. Scott Coleman
11. Gordon Harris
12. Lewis Knight
14. Craig Spalding
15. Daniel Gemmell
16. Dale Heatlie
17. Stewart Ogilvie
Louis Swanson showed excellent composure in midfield for his side with some great passing, he kept going for his side.
Scott Coleman worked his socks off upfront for Tynie and his three goals were superb.
Last modified on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 15:12
Scott Thomson

Scott Thomson | YFS South East Region Journalist

Login to post comments