Home My YFS
Monday, 29 April 2013 11:26

Monifieth score late to win Mac Brown Cup

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Monifieth Athletic
Montrose Youth
Wilde 70 (pen)


U14 Mac Brown Cup - Final
North End Park

mikeycolville reporter photo

By Michael Colville
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @mikeycolville

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Monifieth and Montrose met at North End Park for the Mac Brown Cup final and it looked to be a tough game for both sides. Montrose were second in their league and Monifieth weren’t far behind in third, and with both teams having great form in the cup run up until this point it was shaping up to be a fantastic fixture.

Monifieth kicked the game off, and their first attempt at goal came early. Ross Christie headed the ball through to Stefan Van Rijn, Van Rijn made it into the box but Kade McCormick came out and won the ball well.

Montrose had their first chance at goal not long after, Cameron Fraser made a great run the midfield and towards the Monifieth goal but he clattered into goalkeeper Logan Stewart. Minutes later Montrose had a free kick, the ball was crossed into the box and as the defence tried to scramble it away Conlan Robertson managed to take a shot at goal but it went wide.

Montrose came close in the 13th minute when Alex Bayfield crossed the ball over to Conlan Robertson who struck a vicious volley towards goal but Logan Stewart made a great diving save. Monifieth countered when Neil Bennet impressively nutmegged a Montrose player then sprinted down the wing. He looked to beat another player but Kieran Jones slide tackled him well.

In the 21st minute Callum Colville stepped up to take a Monifieth free kick. He swung the ball brilliantly into Van Rijn who then passed it to Neil Bennet who dribbled past a player in the box but before he could take a shot he was blocked by Ritchie Walker.

Montrose came very close in the 29th minute when Conlan Robertson played a superb pass to Cameron Fraser who controlled and turned on the ball well. Fraser then smacked the ball towards goal but it rattled the cross bar.

Minutes later, Ross Christie dribbled into the Montrose box. He was trying hard to beat the Montrose defender but was then brought down. Neil Bennet then took the ball and hit it towards goal but Kade McCormack made a great save. The whistle blew soon after and the first half finished goalless.

Half Time: Monifieth Athletic 0-0 Montrose Youth

Montrose kicked off the second half and it wasn’t long before they had their first chance. Conlan Robertson used a great bit of skill to move into the box but his shot was brilliantly blocked by Callum Colville. Lachlan Craig minutes later sprinted towards goal from the right wing but Colville once again put in a superb tackle and won the ball.

Monifieth came close in the 42nd minute when Neil Bennet skilfully beat a Montrose player then sent a cross into Arron Burges who managed to smack the ball into the net but was called offside.

Montrose had a corner in the 49th minute, the ball bounced around the box frantically and Lachlan Craig was about to strike the ball into the net but Callum Colville slid in and blocked the ball brilliantly.

Cameron Fraser dribbled into the Monifieth box with great pace and took a shot but Logan Stewart made a strong save. Monifieth then countered and Ryian Massie struck a long shot towards goal but it went just past the post.

In the 56th minute Neil Bennet played an inch perfect pass to Stefan Van Rijn who managed to control the ball well and strike at goal but Kade McCormack held the ball well.

It was end to end football as the game was coming to an end, both teams were desperate to take the lead but they couldn’t find a good enough chance. But it looked like Montrose would have the advantage as Monifieth went a man down. In the 68th minute Stefan Van Rijn was sent off. The side lines were in despair as Van Rijn was sent off for pushing another player but they believed it was a harsh red card.

In the last minute of the game, Monifieth won a penalty. Neil Bennet made a fantastic run into the box but was brought down in the box with a late sliding tackle. Matthew Wilde stepped up to the spot, ready to take the opportunity to put Monifieth in the lead and potentially win the cup. Wilde smacked the ball past the keeper with great placement and the score became 1-0 Monifieth.

The final whistle blew soon after and Monifieth were the winners. Despite going a man down Monifieth put in a great performance and went the extra mile in the dying minutes of the game. Matthew Wilde shrugged off the pressure and scored a fantastic penalty winning the Mac Brown Cup final. Montrose put in a strong performance with a great work rate and looked like they could have won as well. Montrose never gave up and the game could easily have gone either way.

Full Time: Monifieth Athletic 1-0 Montrose Youth 

Monifieth Athletic Montrose Youth
1. Logan Stewart
2. Ryian Massie
3. Neilbennet Sean Murphy 
4. Jack Peacock
5. Arron Burges
6. Callum Colville
7. Ross Christie
8. Matthew Smith
9. Steven Nicol
10. Stefan Van Rijn
11. Marcus Porter
12. Mathew Leys
14. Daniel Dorovic
15. Mathew Wilde
16. Aaron Monroe
1. Kade McCormack
2. Lachlan Craig
3. Aiden Talbot
4. Alex Bayfield
5. Kieran Jones
6. Conlan Robertson
7. Keir McCombie
8. Tayler Gill
9. Jacob Adam
10. Cameron Fraser
11. Aiden Spark
12. Ritchie Walker
14. Macaulay Greenwood
15. Dalton Bradburn
16. Fraser Muir
Callum Colville was my man of the match because he was solid in defence and stopped some close chances. 
Cameron Fraser was my man of the match because he had some very good chances during the game and hit the crossbar. 
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 13:28
Michael Colville

Michael Colville | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments