Home My YFS
Saturday, 27 April 2013 22:59

Never say die Dunbar stun Woodmill in semi final

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Dunbar Grammar
Woodmill HS
Stark 67, 74
McAlpine 77
Donaldson 2
Dolan 42


U15 SSFA Shield - Semi Final
Spartans Academy

Jonathan McIntosh

By Jonathan McIntosh
YFS South East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @jonmc44

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Dunbar Grammar booked their place in the Scottish Schools’ FA Shield final after a stunning late comeback against Woodmill High School at Spartans Academy. With 13 minutes remaining, Dunbar were two goals down but they somehow turned the scoreline around to win 3-2.

Ewan Stark grabbed a brace before Cammy McAlpine scored a late winner for the East Lothian side. Donaldson and Dolan scored at the start of each half to give Woodmill a 2-0 lead.

Donaldson’s early goal came after just 20 seconds. He retrieved a cross from the left wing and directed the ball into the bottom left corner.

Stark got Dunbar’s first chance of the match in the fifth minute. He shot wide of the target after being set up by McAlpine.

Woodmill took the initiative in the early stages but were unable to convert a number of corners. McDonald headed wide of the target in the 13th minute.

Three minutes later, Jamie Chapman played the ball to McAlpine on the right by-line. The Dunbar player’s cross was cleared back to Chapman whose shot curled wide of the left post.

In the 22nd minute, a neat passing move nearly led to Liam Gregory’s equaliser. His bicycle kick from the edge of the area went wide.

Donaldson was causing problems to the Dunbar defence again after 25 minutes. He drove past Rory Pillbean but his lob shot went narrowly past the right post.

Dunbar won a free kick on the verge of half time. Coll Reekie played the ball short to Chapman whose long range shot flew over the cross-bar.

Half Time: Dunbar Grammar School 0-1 Woodmill High School

Woodmill looked to have secured victory at the start of the second half. Dolan headed the ball past Dunbar goalkeeper Stuart Allan with their first attack.

Three minutes later, Crawford headed wide left of the goal after a neat passing move by the Woodmill team.

A quick Dunbar counter attack nearly finished with Gregory pulling a goal back. He headed into the side netting after Ryan Young's cross.

In the 62nd minute, Stark dribbled skilfully into the penalty area, but his shot was caught comfortably by Woodmill goalkeeper Donaldson.

Dunbar pulled a goal back with 13 minutes remaining. McAlpine cut in from the right wing and played a low cross to Stark who placed the ball into the bottom left corner.

The equaliser arrived in the 74th minute. Good passing play finished with Stark firing the ball into the bottom right corner.

McAlpine sent the Dunbar support into raptures in the 77th minute. He dribbled down the left wing and cut inside the box. The Dunbar attacker coolly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.

Dunbar will play Bannerman High School at Tynecastle Stadium on 15th May.

Full Time: Dunbar Grammar School 3-2 Woodmill High School

Dunbar Grammar School Woodmill High School
1 Stuart Allan
2  Luke Archibald
3 Rory Pillbean
4 Conal Devon
5 Jamie Chapman
6 Ewan Stark
7 Coll Reekie
8 Andrew Taylor
9 Ryan Young
10 Liam Gregory
11 Cammy McAlpine
12 Charlie Skidmore
14 David Darling
15 Jack Armstrong
16 Liam Browne
17 Bradley Wright 
1 J Donaldson
2 L Hunter
3 C Rogers
4 C Lane
5 A McDonald
6 R Crawford
7 L Donaldson
8 S Ferguson
9 R Watt
10 Z More
11 G Dolan
12 J Paton
14 C Bal
15 L Dyke

Ewan Stark never gave up and was rewarded with two late goals for his team.
Donaldson's strength and direct running caused Dunbar problems all evening.
Last modified on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 15:54
Login to post comments