Home My YFS
Friday, 26 April 2013 11:40

Hat-trick hero Young leads Spartans to big win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Spartans FC Youth
U13 SERYFA Division 1
East Pilton Park
This was an eagerly anticipated game involving Spartans v Tynecastle with the last game being a close 3-2 win for Spartans – their first over Tynecastle in a while therefore Tynecastle had revenge in their sights.

The match was played on the bumpy East Pilton Park on a windy but bright Tuesday evening with Spartans winning the toss of the coin to shoot with the wind at their backs.

The match kicked off with Spartans pushing down on the defence from the kick off using the wind behind and the pace of Washe Manyethelo and the pace and strength of Matthew Brown upfront to break through the Tynecastle defence with the first attack resulting in a goal kick to Tynecastle. The Tynie keeper did well to have a good kickout into the strong wind and arrived at his midfielder to create a Tynecastle attack that was broken down by the Spartans defence just inside the penalty box and cleared by Taylor Gillon to Robbie Lamb down the pitch to create a Spartans attack that was switched through to Lewis Mackinnon who managed a good shot on goals and was well saved by the Tynie keeper.

A few minutes later, Spartans broke down the Tynie attack which led onto the first goal coming in from the right-hand side. Lewis Mackinnon was on hand to slot the ball over the line from close range to make it 1-0 to Spartans.

Tynie took centre and broke into attack and again the Spartans back line broke this down. The defence was solid, with nobody getting a shot on goal. Spartans broke down the pitch on the left hand side with Lewis Mackinnon managing to get down the wing with the Tynie player knocking the ball out for a throw in. Mackinnon took the throw in and from the shot that came after from Andrew Dempster that was net bound the Tynecastle defender saved the ball with his hand and the ref blew his whistle for a penalty and showed the defender a red card.

Aaron Cowper-Barrie stepped up to take the penalty but his left foot strike on goal was well saved by the Tynie keeper. Tynecastle were encouraged by this save and went onto create a dangerous attack down their left hand-side with a cross coming in just over Spartans keeper Craig Wylie in goals and thankfully for Spartans no one from Tynecastle was in the box to take advantage.

Spartans then broke again after a little bit of football 'ping pong' between both sets of midfielders the ball broke again into the Tynecastle box from Lewis Mackinnon on the left where it was knocked into the box and Washe Manyethelo knocked the ball over the line 2-0 to Spartans.

Fifteen minutes had gone at 2-0 to Spartans, with a Tynecastle player sent off, but they gathered themselves and pulled a goal back after a good attack through midfield out to the left and a goal for Tynecasle's No. 10 just inside the Spartans keeper right hand post. Tynecastle coaches and parents were offering encouragement to their players, and likewise Spartans.

The Spartans coaches made their first change Washe coming off and Connor Young going on.

Spartans took the kick-off and almost immediately were on the scoresheet again with a well worked ball down the right hand side with Robbie Lamb crossing into the Tynecastle Box for Andrew Dempster to score with his right foot from 8 yards out. Tynecastle players heads were starting to drop but still were encouraged by their coach.

Tynecastle’s next attack was cleared down the pitch which started from the defender, Tailor Gillon, on the right hand side of his box, by passing it to Robbie Lamb and inside again to David Whalen who knocked the ball up the park for the bouncing ball to be stolen in the air away from the Tynecastle player by Matthew Brown who knocked the ball into the Tynecastle box for Connor Young to slot the ball home from 6 yards. Spartans were playing really well; passing, moving and switching play.

Half Time: Spartans 4-1 Tynecastle

The second half started with two Spartans changes - Mitchell Haddow now in goals and Ali Hogg now playing the left wing.

Spartans were quickly put under pressure and from a Tynecastle attack down the Spartans left hand side with a mix up between the defenders and the goalkeeper allowing a shot to be parried and then slotted home by the Tynecastle striker. There was a further Spartans change with Matthew Brown coming off and Kalvin Nicol coming on to play up front alongside Connor Young.

From the kick-off, Connor Young scored again for his second with a good move down their right hand side. The ball was crossed in over the front of the 18 yard box where Young collected the ball, beat one player and slots the ball home again, and his team mates pile on him as they celebrate the goal.

There was a further change as Keiran Connell replaced Lewis Mackinnon and he was straight into the action, making a great tackle to win the ball on the right and passing through Andrew in midfield then via Josh-Slow Clayton across midfield and again out to Connor Young to run through the centre of midfield and score low down to the keepers left.

The Tynecastle players were not happy and kept trying to create chances and get through down the left handside with a well hit shot from the edge of the box but it is well saved by Mitchell Haddow down low at his right hand post. More attacks from Tynecastle came but Jay Conner at centre half cleared well on several attacks.

With twelve minutes to go the Spartans coaches were still giving the team encouragement, and they responded with another well worked attack finished with a tremendous shot from Josh Slow-Clayton that just rose over the bar.

From a goal kick taken by the Tynecastle keeper, the ball is cleared by David Whalen in defence and picked up by Josh who passed out to Keiran Connell on the right and another attack began as he crossed into the box the ball bounced around with the Tynecastle players slow to react and Kalvin Nicol nodded the ball over the line from a yard out.

Persistence paid off with some great tackling from Ali Hogg to win the ball. He managed to get a great cross in to the box, but its cleared and comes out to the right, where Taylor Gillon lobs the bouncing ball into the box and after a scramble Kalvin Nicol nods the ball over the line from 6 yards out.

Spartans made a further substitution with hat-trick boy Connor Young coming off and Matthew Brown going back on and almost immediately he scores after a mistake for the Tynecastle defence drilling the ball low and hard to the keeper's left.

Full Time: Spartans 9-2 Tynecastle
Last modified on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 16:01
Login to post comments