Home My YFS
Tuesday, 23 April 2013 20:55

Dundee through to National Trophy final with slender win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Warwick 13


U15 National Trophy - Semi Final
Whitton Park

mikeycolville reporter photo

By Michael Colville
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @mikeycolville

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Last week Dundee met Ayrshire in the Lloyds TSB Scotland under 15’s National Trophy Semifinal, both teams had been on impressive runs so far and it looked to be a close game.

Dundee kicked the game off, their first chance came soon after when Callum Walls made a great long ball up to Alex Gibb. Gibb controlled the ball well and dribbled into the box but Darren Spence made a good tackle. Derryn Kesson won the ball back quickly and tried to set up Alex Gibb but Darren Spence managed to win the ball back once more.

Sean Gallacher came close to scoring for Dundee in the 11th minute when he managed to win the ball from an Ayrshire defender and ran towards goal. Gallacher beat a defender then took a shot at goal but Jordan Ross made a great diving save. Ayrshire countered well and Callum Smith made an impressive dribble towards goal, he took a shot but it went just wide.

Dundee went 1-0 up in the 13th minute. Jordan Hornby fired a powerful free kick towards goal, the Ayrshire keeper tried to push the ball clear but Greg Warwick impressively reacted to the loose ball and put it in the back of the net putting Dundee in the lead.

Ayrshire nearly scored straight after Dundee a minute later, Jamie Dorrans made a run into the Dundee box but his shot was blocked by Paul Callaghan. Dundee countered with a long ball up to Greg Warwick. Warwick used great pace to beat an Ayrshire defender but his shot went wide.

Ayrshire came close to equalising when David Richardson powered a shot from outside the box towards goal but Darren Clarkson made a superb save and pushed it over the bar. Ayrshire swung their corner into the centre of the box but Callum Cook cleared it well.

In the 32nd minute Derryn Kesson managed to steal the ball from the Ayrshire defender and dribbled towards goal, he struck a shot low shot but Jordan Ross saved it. Both teams continued to fight for the ball and Ayrshire were pressing Dundee hard to score an equaliser before the half was over but Dundee defended well. The half time whistle blew and Dundee were 1-0 ahead.

Half Time: Dundee 1-0 Ayrshire 

Ayrshire kicked the second half off. Ayrshire tried to get an early goal with a long through ball to Jai Holland but Darren Clarkson ran out and collected the ball well.

Sean Gallacher controlled a good ball in good midfield then played a fantastic pass to Greg Warwick who took a shot at goal but it narrowly missed the post.

Andrew Sibbald came close to scoring in the 55th minute, he struck a great shot at goal from outside the box but Darren Clarkson made a brilliant diving save.

Dundee then countered, Alex Gibb made a great one two with Derryn Kesson and then tried to play Derryn through into the box but Jarod Kiefer made a good interception.

Ayrshire had their best chance of the game in the 64th minute. Andrew Sibbald took a powerful shot at goal in the Dundee box but Darren Clarkson made a spectacular reaction save. Andrew Sibbald managed to reach the ball once more and tried to chip Clarkson but he got back up in time and pushed the ball away out of danger.

Clarkson had to make another great save when David Richardson played a great ball to Jail Holland who managed to beat a Dundee defender in the box and took a shot but Clarkson saved. Minutes later Andrew Sibbald was one on one with Clarkson who made yet another good save, Iain Wilson tried to follow up the rebound and tap it in but he missed the target.

In the 79th minute of the match Nathan Tosh was through on goal, he tried to take it around him but the keeper got a touch and cleared the ball away. Ayrshire continued to search for a chance to equalise and looked dangerous when attacking but eventually the final whistle blew and Dundee would be entering the final with a 1-0 victory.

Full Time: Dundee 1-0 Ayrshire

Dundee Ayrshire

1. Darren Clarkson
2. Liam Gibb
3. Jordan Hornby
4. Callum Walls
5. Sean Gallacher
6. Ryan Lamond
7. Paul Callaghan
8. Cameron McMahon
9. Derryn Kesson
10. Jordan Elder
11. Greg Warwick
12. Nathan Tosh
14. Ryan Smith
15. Alex Gibb
16. Lewis Fyfe
17. Jack Hogarth


1. Jordan Ross
2. Mark Dempster
3. Jack Smith
4. Darren Spence
5. Jarod Kiefer
6. David Richardson
7. Jai Holland
8. Iain Wilson
9. Jamie Dorrans
10. Andrew Sibbald
11. Callum Smith
12. Chris Wilson
14. Kieran Balfour
15. Ethan Tasker
16. Louis Kerr

Greg Warwick was my man of the match because he scored the only goal of the game and also created some good chances for himself. 
Darren Spence was my man of the match because he played brilliantly at the back making some important tackles and also looked a threat upfront.
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 13:44
Michael Colville

Michael Colville | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments