Home My YFS
Tuesday, 23 April 2013 12:23

SPTA win battle of the semi finalist Saints

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


St Peter the Apostle
St Ambrose HS



Senior SSFA Shield - S/F
Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie

Forde McGhee

By Forde McGhee
YFS West Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @fordemc14

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

St Peter the Apostle yesterday reached the final of the SSFA Shield with a well deserved 3-1 win over St Ambrose. From the early stages of the match St Peter's looked the more likely to reach the final as they showed more conviction than their opponents.

St Ambrose nearly added a goal from the St Peter's kickoff however when Stephen Paterson stole the ball from the feet of a St Peter's player and burst with great pace in to the box but was met by an out rushing Paddy Hasty who collected the ball before the St Ambrose number 11 had time to take a shot.

Not long after St Ambrose came close again to opening the scoring when Dale Dickson whipped a ball in from the left hand side and Nick Frasers shot nearly found its way through the keepers legs and into the back of the net but some how the St Peter's goalie scrambled it away.

St Peter's staged there first attack of the game when Kevin McInally played a well timed ball over the top for on running striker Joe Toye but the number nines left footed shot was held safely by the St Ambrose goalkeeper, a few moments later however the same thing happend but striker Joe Toyes left footed shot this team creeped past Paul Anderson into the net to put St Peters 1-0 up.

Just a few moments later St Peter's doubled their lead in superb fashion when Gary Hynes smashed home a 25 yard free kick that the St Ambrose keeper could only stand and watch rocket past him into the top left hand corner of his net. Just when things were looking bad enough for St Ambrose it got worse when St Peter the Apostle went 3-0 up a couple of minutes after there second this time Hynes the provider when the number seven curled a freekick perfectly into the back post for Kieran Falconer to power home a great header.

St Ambrose started to push hard to try and salvage a goal and there hard work payed off when they were awarded a penalty when Ryan McCallen looked to have handled the ball inside the area. Christopher O'Neil stepped up to take the penalty but his effort from the spot was saved by Paddy Hasty but the keeper couldn't stop O'Neils rebound to make it 3-1.

St Ambrose looked to add another just on the stroke of half time and came close to when Ryan Cox's volley fired just over the bar. Again St Ambrose came close when Dale Dickson breaks through the St Peter's defense to then cut the ball across goal for his team mate but St Peter defender Andy McElhill made a superb last ditch tackle to keep the score 3-1 at half time

Half Time: St Peter the Apostle HS 3-1 St Ambrose HS

The second half didn't have anywhere near as much excitment as the first 45 minutes with both sides playing a lot more of there football in the midfield meaning a lot less chances and a lot more fouls in the middle of the park.

The first real chance in the second half came when Joe Toye robbed the defender of the ball and darted with it into the box but his low drilled shot was saved well by the feet of the keeper.

St Ambrose then had their fist chance of the second half when Josh Robertson whipped a powerful cross in to be met by the hed of Christopher O'Neil but the midfielder's header was saved acrobatically by the St Peter's goalkeeper.

Joe Toye came close to adding his second of the game when a great long ball from the back ment he was 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper but both the strikers attempts at goal failed and the score was kept at 3-1.

Getting in to the last ten minutes of the game both sets of players looked tired with a lot of players going down with cramp or injuries and the tempo of the game was certainly starting to show.

St Peter's had one last chance at the end with a free kick but the St Ambrose wall stayed solid and blocked the attempt. The match ended 3-1 sending meaning that the final would now be Bishopbriggs vs St Peter the Apostle which is quiet the rivalry match. The players got a heroes reception from their many fans when leaving the pitch and they looked delighted to be heading to the final.

Full Time: St Peter the Apostle HS 3-1 St Ambrose HS

St Peter the Apostle HS St Ambrose HS
1. Paddy Hasty
2. Kevin McInally
3. Andy McElhill
4. Dylan McCann
5. Kieran Falconer
6. Callum Cook
7. Gary Hynes
8. Ryan McCallen
9. Joe Toye
10. Matt Todd
11. Chris McLaughlin
12. Andrew Mulrine
13. Michale Brown
14. Kieran Conlin
15. Scott Cameron
16. Niall Cunningham
1. Paul Anderson
2. Aaron Johnstone
3. Josh McCormack
4. David McCormack
5. Gerard Gallagher
7. David Lamb
8. Christopher O'Neil
9. Dale Dickson
10. Paul O'Hear
11. Stephen Paterson
12. Nicky Fraser
14. Josh Robertson
15. Robert Park
16. Ryan Cox

Joe Toye is my man of the match because he worked hard up front and was rewarded with a goal.
Chrsitopher O'Neil is my man of the match becuse he  made huge impact in the midfield.
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 20:50
Forde McGhee

Forde McGhee | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments