Home My YFS
Monday, 08 April 2013 10:44

Celtic BC fight back to rescue friendly draw

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Celtic BC
Under 15's Friendly
Toryglen, Glasgow

Mathews ScottYou probably have heard the phrase "a game of two halves" and this game certainly fitted that quote. West Region played Celtic BC indoors at Toryglen with five West Region players playing for their own club Celtic BC.

Celtic started the game quickest off the mark and West keeper Scott Matthews (Baillieston BC) was brought right into the game having to pull off two great saves in the first 10 minutes to stop Celtic from opening the scoring. However it was West who were to go in front when they broke down the park in the 15th minute and a ball crossed into the box found Scott Russell (St Mirren BC) free in the box to head home. Five minutes later in a similar move, it was Bradley Newlands (Rangers SABC) whose strength got him free of his marker and he too was able to finish from close range.

Both sides then seemed to settle into the game and both had chances with this time West's keeper Connor Houghton (Rangers SABC) being called on to stop the Celtic comeback. Celtic's midfield was starting to get a hold of the game and Danny Drummond in particular was causing the West problems in the midfield. At the other end, Celtic's keeper Lloyd Fallon again was able to thwart West's attempts in the box. Both players were part of the Regional Squads for this season.

Half Time: SYFA West 2-0 Celtic BC

Matthew Beckett (Renfrew Vics) added a third for the West shortly after half time when the ball was played through from midfield and he used his pace to break through on goal and was able to finish with a low drive from close range.

In the last 30 minutes Jamie Crawford (St Mirren) had chances but was unable to find the net and Campbell Gibson (Harmony Row) also was unable to convert a chance after 60 minutes.

As part of their development programme, West used the game to rotate their squad into different positions whilst Celtic were able to hold the same formation. In the 75th minute, Celtic were able to break through the West's changed defence and the striker was in on goal and fired home a tremendous volley from 20 yards out. This seemed to give Celtic renewed energy and again they pressed in the 80th minute where a good move saw the ball played wide and the cross into the box found an unmarked player who made no mistake with a free header Celtic to make it 3-2.

In the final minutes, Celtic threw everything at the West defence and that pressure paid off when another ball through the heart of the defence that saw the pacey Celtic strike evade a challenge and again it was a long range drive that sailed into the top corner to level the match.

After the match, West coach Cameron Carmichael said that West had controlled the game for an hour, however it was always going to be a gamble to change around the squad, but that was what development was all about and they had learned from the game.

Full Time: SYFA West 3-3 Celtic BC
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 18:28
Login to post comments