Home My YFS
Sunday, 27 January 2013 16:34

Gourock gobsmacked as determined Star progress

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Elgin Star
Gourock YAC
Simpson 71
Williamson 79
Roberts 27


U17s SYFA Challenge Cup
Dunfermline High School


By Graham Swann
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @Graham_Swann

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

Elgin Star Under 17's stunned Gourock YAC to progress to the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup in a game in which the weather more than played its part.

Gourock made the long journey from the west and arrived to very windy and cold conditions in Dunfermline.

They gained the advantage in the first half kicking with the wind behind their backs and from the start they looked to test the Elgin Star goal with some early shots on goal.

On the quarter of an hour mark the visitors had the best chance of the match so far. A free kick was swung in and Brendan Sharpe’s header was well parried by Cameron Lambie at close range. The danger was not clear for long though and Sharpe found the ball back at his feet but this time he was unable to test the goalkeeper as his shot flew high over the bar.

Cameron Paton was a mere spectator in the Gourock goal and Elgin Star were finding it very difficult to create any noteworthy chances.

It was a matter of time before this cup tie had its first goal and it duly arrived on 27 minutes. Gourock’s Lee Roberts launched the ball up field from inside his own half. The wind caught hold of the ball as Lambie misjudged the bounce and the ball sailed over his head into the empty net.

On 31 minutes Gourock almost doubled their lead as Declan McCourt fired a shot that Lambie did well to save with his legs.

Crosses were becoming increasingly dangerous for the home side to defend with the wind causing real problems and on 34 minutes Gourock were only denied a second by the post as the ball was whipped in from the left, evading all the defenders.

As the game reached half time it was the away side that were flabbergasted that they had only managed to score a single goal.

Half Time: Elgin Star 0-1 Gourock YAC

Having survived an onslaught in the first half, Elgin Star looked to take advantage of the wind by pressurising the Gourock defence.

However, despite the conditions, it was Gourock who almost scored on 68 minutes. Sharpe looped a header goal wards and but for the outstretched arm of Lambie it would have been 2-0.

Three minutes later Elgin Star finally got the breakthrough they were looking for. Charlie Simpson swung a free kick from the left that evaded everyone including Paton to level this cup tie at 1-1.

It really should have been advantage Gourock again on 75 minutes as they wasted a great chance. Robert Hall met a cross and from just over six yards out headed the ball wide of goal.

This match really was turned upside down on 79 minutes as the Fife side took the lead. Simpson once more delivered a free kick from the left and it looked as if Paton had smothered the danger. However, he let the ball slip from his grasp and Rhonan Williamson prodded the ball into the net - 2-1 Elgin Star.

Gourock were now suddenly looking for an equaliser but try as they might they couldn’t test the Elgin Star defence.

After three minutes of stoppage time, the sound of the referee’s whistle confirmed Elgin Star’s place in the last eight of the competition. It was a dogged display from the home side in a game that was no doubt spoiled by the blustery conditions. Gourock will no doubt be left wondering “what if?” after a first half they completely dominated. While Elgin Star could have been out of it at half time, they showed great determination to stay in touch in the match and battled all the way to keep their cup dreams alive.

Full Time: Elgin Star 2-1 Gourock YAC

Elgin Star Gourock YAC
1. Cameron Lambie 
2. Rhonan Williamson
3. Charlie Simpson
4. Iain Russell
5. Jack Stewart
6. Sean Stewart
7. Calum Reid
8. Michael Joyce
9. Liam Queen
10. Malvern Edson
11. Graham Lowson 
12. Calvin Kirkwood
14. Dylan McCulloch
15. Calum Craig
17. Lee Smith
18. Aaron Parkinson 
1. Cameron Paton
2. Michael Fisher
3. Daniel McGachy
4. Michael Houlihan
5. Declan MccDade
7. Robert Hall 
8. Drew MacQuat
9. Brendan Sharpe
10. Ross Hall
11. Lee Roberts
12. Liam Daisley
14. Kris Wrath
15. Declan McCourt
16. Mark Alexander
17. Michael Lynch
Charlie Simpson scored one and had a part in the second goal. The conditions were there for taking advantage of and both deliveries from set pieces proved enough to help his team earn the win.
Brendan Sharpe created several chances and looked dangerous in the air up front.

Alexander Reid, manager of Elgin Star, said: "The conditions made it difficult and it wasn't the best day for a game of football. It's great for a team like ours to get to the quarter final of the cup."
Steve Houlihan, coach of Gourock YAC, said: "We created lots of chances in the first half and we were guilty of not taking them. I feel we lost the game more than Elgin Star won the game."
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 17:13
Graham Swann

Graham Swann | YFS East Region Journalist

Login to post comments