Home My YFS
Sunday, 02 September 2012 19:50

Bo'ness triumph after Spartans thriller

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Spartans Reds
Bo'ness  United
Marshall 70
Connelly 13


U14 South East Region Cup
Spartans Academy


By Jonathan McIntosh
YFS Regionname Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @jonmc44

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

Bo’ness United proceeded into the second round of the South East Region Cup after an epic encounter with Spartans Reds at The Spartans Academy. With the scores level at 1-1 at full time, Bo’ness won the penalty shootout 4-1.

After a frantic second half, Spartans’ Lewis Marshall took the tie into extra time in the last minute of the match. Lewis Connelly scored the Bo’ness goal.

Rhys Stuart scored the final penalty to ensure that the WLAYFC club progressed into the second round. They will welcome Dalkeith Miners CYP to Bo’ness.

Spartans exerted some early pressure on the Bo’ness defence, and created their first chance in the fourth minute. Keiran Pirie’s chipped through ball found Ogulcan Yildirim on the edge of the area. The striker’s shot went wide of the left post.

Bo’ness took the lead in the 13th minute with the attacking pair of Connelly and Ross Brown combining superbly. Connelly found Brown in the left side of the area, who played the ball back to Connelly inside the six yard box. The striker finished the move off with aplomb.

On the verge of half time, Pirie’s long range shot was caught by Bo’ness goalkeeper Cameron Wilson.

Half Time:  Spartans Reds 0-1 Boness United

Conor Weir tried to catch Wilson off guard in the 47th minute. His long range effort looked to be looping high into the net before Wilson pulled off a brilliant save.

Spartans kept pushing for an equaliser but the Bo’ness goalkeeper was on form. With six minutes to go, Robbie McNeill surged past the defence but Wilson came out quickly to smother the ball.

Wilson stopped McNeill again three minutes later. His low shot from the edge of the area was saved well.

And the keeper was at it again in stoppage time. This time, Yildirim’s 20 yard shot was saved.

Spartans finally equalised with their final attack. The ball fell to Marshall who shot into the top left corner from 12 yards.

There was huge controversy in the first half of extra time. Bo’ness United felt that they should have had a penalty as Brown appeared to be fouled when shaping up to shoot. The referee waved play on.

Spartans created a number of chances in the second half. Marcus Mbewe played a good through ball to Marshall, who dribbled into the penalty area before shooting wide right of the goal.  

With five minutes remaining, Smith broke through the Spartans defence on the half way line but was tripped on the edge of the area. Jordan Wilson’s free kick hit the wall.

Spartans countered quickly in the 88th minute, but Marshall’s shot went wide of the left post.

In the final minute, Marshall’s long range shot was easily caught by Cameron Wilson.

Two Spartans players shot over the bar in the penalty shootout. Rhys Stuart scored the final Bo'ness spot kick to send his team through to the second round.

Full Time: Spartans Reds 1-1 Bo'ness United (Bo'ness United win 4-1 on penalties)

Spartans Reds Bo'ness United
1.   Ewan Page
2.   Daniel Healey
5.   Steven McCulloch
6.   Jack Dughan
7.   Jack Hunter
8.   Keiran Pirie
9.   John McPherson
10. Marcus Mbewe
11. Michael Allan
14. Ross Thomson
15. Calum O'Neil
16. Robbie McNeill
17. Ogulcan Yildirim
21. Lewis Marshall
22. Oran Hosey
15. Cameron Wilson
3.   Euan Archibald
4.   Rhys Stuart
6.   Ross O'Donnell
8.   Conor Weir
9.   Lewis Connolly
11. Finlay Carlin
12. Conor Robertson
14. Ross Brown
16. Kristian French
18. Cameron Donaldson
1.   Ryan McCue
5.   Lewis Wright
7.   Jordan Wilson
Ogulcan Yildirim caused problems throughout the Bo'ness defence throughout the match with his presence up front and neat link up play.
Cameron Wilson played superbly in the Bo'ness United goal, keeping out a number of Spartans chances. He was unlucky to finally concede in the last minute of normal time.
Last modified on Thursday, 03 October 2013 16:20
Login to post comments