Home My YFS
Sunday, 02 September 2012 15:06

Dogged Methil see off Glenrothes Strollers

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Glenrothes Strollers
Cape 45+3
Clelland 53
Robertson o.g 68
Kinnaird 70



U17 AFYFC Division 1
Savoy Park, Methil


By Graham Swann
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @Graham_Swann

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

fMethil Under 17's produced an inspiring second half display to defeat Glenrothes Strollers in this thoroughly entertaining AFYFC Division 1 match.

The sun was trying its best to break through the cloud above Savoy Park as the visitors looked to continue their 100% winning start to the new season.

The early stages of the game were dominated by Strollers as they looked to break the deadlock. On ten minutes they had their first opportunity of the game. Callum Beaton found some space on the edge of the box and hit a good left foot shot that cannoned off the post and behind.

Methil were struggling to get a hold of the ball and were finding themselves being put under severe pressure by Strollers. In the 20th minute they delivered a ball from the left and George Hutchinson rose well to glance the ball towards the far corner. Unfortunately for him Methil goalkeeper Robert Morrison was equal to it and pushed the ball wide.

A minute later Morrison somehow kept his side level when he parried a shot by Hutchinson from six yards out. The ball was not cleared for long and Hutchinson again found himself in front of goal but Morrison saved his team once more.

It was all Strollers but then on 26 minutes Methil had a great chance to take the lead completely against the run of play. Garry Thomson did brilliantly to beat the defender at the corner and was set to have a shot on goal when he was upended and the referee had no choice but to award a penalty. Thomson took the spot kick but it was a weak effort and Ryan Jeffrey comfortably saved in the Glenrothes goal.

On 32 minutes Strollers had another great chance to score. Jack Ballantine swung in a dangerous ball from a free kick on the left. Callum Deas rose to meet the ball but for the second time in the game the ball hit the Methil woodwork.

It was looking like it would be a matter of time before the visitors scored but Morrison had other ideas. It was the Methil stopper versus Hutchinson again as the Strollers forward was played through on goal only for his shot to be parried. The rebound was met by Beaton but again Morrison smothered the ball well.

Three minutes before the break it was Beaton testing Morrison again but his fierce shot was tipped over the bar. Then on the stroke of half time Strollers won a corner. The ball was swung in and Hutchinson met the cross with a firm header. This time he beat Morrison but he couldn’t beat the Methil defender on the line. The danger wasn’t over and as Strollers met the rebound Morrison was there to gather the ball.

Having been under the cosh for the majority of the half, Methil stunned the visitors by snatching the lead in the last action of the opening 45 minutes. Thomson fought hard to win the ball in a tangle of legs and slipped the ball through for Scott Cape. He showed composure to fire the ball past Jeffrey to give side the lead at half time.

Half Time: Methil 1-0 Glenrothes Strollers

Despite all their pressure Strollers began the second half a goal down and needed a quick response. However it was different Methil team who took to the field and they scored their second on 53 minutes.

Ross Braid launched the ball into the box from a free kick on the left. John Clelland met the ball perfectly and he saw his great header find the back of the net to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

Strollers nearly got back in the game on 59 minutes as Hutchinson raced through on goal. He rounded Morrison but his effort didn’t have enough pace and Daniel Roberts cleared the ball off the line to safety.

Methil wrapped up the points on 68 minutes as Strollers got themselves in a complete muddle. The ball was smashed down field by the Methil defence after another Strollers attack. Defender Liam Robertson failed to get his bearings right and headed the ball over the advancing Jeffrey into the empty net.

Strollers finally got a goal their attacking play deserved two minutes later. Substitute Robert Kinnaird found room in the box and fired a low shot into the far corner. They had finally beaten Morrison but it was a case of too little too late.

They were still looking dangerous on the break but Strollers couldn’t add to their single goal as the Methil defence stood strong for the remainder of the match.

This was a hard fought win by Methil and despite having to deal with attack after attack, particularly in the first half, they kept Strollers at bay. For the visitors it could be said had they been more clinical in front of goal this game could have easily been over as a contest by halftime. However they came up against a determined Methil team who had their goalkeeper to thank for some excellent saves.

Full Time: Methil 3-1 Glenrothes Strollers

Methil Glenrothes Strollers
1. Robert Morrison
3. Keiran Thomson 
4. John Clelland
5. Lewis Simpson
6. Robbie Wallace
8. Ross Braid 
9. Garry Thomson
10. Stuart Drummond
15. Mark Mellor
16. Scott Cape
18. Daniel Roberts
2. Daniel Grieve
7. Kyle Lothian
11. Josh Laird
12. Matthew Boyd
1. Ryan Jeffrey
5. Ben Storie 
6. Callum Deas
7. Liam Robertson
8. George Hutchinson
10. Callum Beaton 
11. Liam Bruce
12. Kyle Summers
15. Jack Ballantine 
16. Jamie Farmer
17. Cameron Burnside
2. James Kinnear
3. Ryan Beaton
4. Ross Gibson
14. Robert Kinnaird
Robert Morrison produced an outstanding first half display to prevent Glenrothes Strollers from scoring with some top saves.
George Hutchinson caused the Methil defence real problems particularly in the first half. Always looked a goal threat and can count himself unlucky not be on the score sheet.
David Wallace, Coach of Methil, said: "Our second half display was ten times better than how we played in the first half. Our goalkeeper was brilliant and he undoubtedly kept us in the match.
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 23:11
Graham Swann

Graham Swann | YFS East Region Journalist

Login to post comments