Home My YFS
Saturday, 01 September 2012 22:47

Extra time drama sees Baillieston progress in Scottish

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Barrhead Whites
Baillieston Juniors 98s
U14s Scottish Cup R1
Baillieston boys began their journey in the Scottish Cup with a trip to Neilston to take on Barrhead Whites on a blustery Saturday afternoon fixture. On the first day of autumn the season may have changed but it was the same story on the fitness front as the stretched squad of 12 boys warmed up on the pitch as it looked like Barrhead had about 100 players stripped for action. The crowd took their places at either side of the pitch and the ref blew the whistle with Baillie having the advantage of a strong wind at their backs.

The early exchanges didn't result in many chances but as the game wore on we started to get further up the park and work the ball into the box. The midfield three of Sam, Jono and Greg started to get on top and were feeding good ammuniton to the forwards with Ryan and Mikey also becoming more involved. A few long range efforts and corners came to nothing but midway throught the half the opener came for the away team. Jono played a lovely weighted pass inside the full back and Mikey timed his run well from the right wing to pick up the ball before rounding the keeper to roll it into the empty net. Baillie sensed they could take advantage of their possession and soon after Greg found Ryan with a good pass on the left wing at the edge of the box. Ryan decided to cut inside and with a few stepovers which had the defence, the ref and half the crowd tied in knots he made himself space then blasted a right foot curler into the net which had the goalie clutching at fresh air.

Instead of sitting back to admire the lead Baillie turned up the pressure and went for another. 5 minutes before the break it came when Mikey played a ball across the edge of the box where it found Greg. He was shut down by a defender but made space and then got both power and curl on a great left foot shot which went low into the corner giving the keeper no chance. Corey replaced Lewis and we continued to pepper the Barrhead goal with Jono unlucky to see his 30 yard half volley just go over the bar. As half time approached a defensive slip allowed the lone Barrhead forward to get in on goal and despite a brave block by Scott the rebound was blasted into the net to make the half time score 3-1.

Half time: Barrhead Whites 1-3 Baillieston Juniors 1998s

The second half was already looking tough with the wind into our faces but this was made even harder when a speculative cross from the right was deflected past Scott who was wrongfooted as the ball ended up in the goal. Worse was to follow as another gift was handed out when a trip at the edge of the box gave Barrhead a penalty which was put away well to pull the home side level. As the half progressed Baillie started to get the ball down and pass as the wind played havoc with high balls. A few required subs were made as John made his usual on pitch appearances with the first aid bag. Our midfield was continuing to work hard and Ryan was provided with plenty of oppoprtunites to test the defence. Numerous runs down the left were not rewarded by a combination of saves, tackles, slack crosses and no one to finish off the chances. Squeaky bum time for both sides and fans as the match moved towards the 80th minute. A few chances were created but the ref finally blew to send this exciting match into another 20 minutes of extra time.

Baillie got a break as they started with the wind behind them and this played a part in the fourth goal. Scott cleared from inside our half and Corey managed to hold off the defender before placing the ball beyond the goalie to put us in front again. Baillie tried to finish the game off and pressure inside the box led to Ryan showing good footwork to poke the ball under the keeper and give us a two goal lead. A change of ends gave Barrhead renewed energy but Baillie pushed forward and a series of corners should have resulted in a better result. This was punished with 5 minutes to go when a long range effort managed to find it's way into the net to set up another nail biting finish. There were more bodies falling than in Call of Duty as the 100 minutes of effort took it's toll on both teams as they pushed themselves to the limit. Finally the ref called a halt to the game and Baillie held out to advance to the next round after eventually overcoming a plucky Barrhead team.

The result is all that matters in the cup but the perfomance in terms of chances created and some spectacular goals was promising. Once again mistakes were punished by goals against and this will need to be improved if we are to go any further in our Scottish Cup adventure. Hopefully we can take the positives from the match in terms of effort and attacking play into the next games although the nerves of the coaches may not survive many more 9 goal matches.
Full Time: Barrhead Whites 3-3 Baillieston Juniors 1998s (4-5 AET)
Last modified on Monday, 05 August 2013 14:22
Login to post comments