Home My YFS
Sunday, 03 June 2012 20:41

Gourock win tense penalty shootout

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Gourock YAC Under 17s
St Peters BC Under 17s
Competition: Tom McPhillips Cup
Venue: Keanie Park
Date: 03/06/2012
Author: James Hunter

This game was in danger of going out and not being remembered by anyone who was in attendance. It took until the 80th for the game to really kick off and show signs of life as Gourock YAC won the Tom McPhillips Cup following a penalty shootout win. Ben Stevenson was the hero as he saved Kyle O’Prey’s spot kick and James Docherty notched the winning kick to secure the win for Gourock who had looked dead and buried with seconds remaining in regulation time.

The game kicked off 15 minutes late as both sides made their way on to the park with the Champions League theme music playing over the speakers at Keanie Park. The early exchanges were fraught with both defences staying resolute, one such example with Gourock’s David Piggott expertly knocking the ball past Stephen Taylor on the left wing before being halted by an inch perfect tackle by St Peters’ Jack McIlvaney. Piggott was a tricky customer in the opening stages and he won his side a free kick which was curled in by Corey Nicolson but again the defence was strong and dealt with the danger.

St Peters had the closest chance as Connor Goldie whipped in a free kick which goalkeeper Ben Stevenson came for; he missed the ball and watched as Daniel Rooney fired his header over the bar. Goldie’s free kicks were hard to deal with and he threw in another teaser. The ball was headed clear but only as far as captain Andrew D’Arcy who failed to get a proper connection with the ball and it went harmlessly wide.

Chances so far were at a minimum but Gourock’s Cameron Black almost opened the scoring after holding off the challenge, he turned the defender and watched as his shot cannoned off the bar with the Conner Mason in the St Peters goal beaten all ends up. St Peters must have taking this as a warning to get themselves some clear cut chances and immediately after Black hit the St Peters bar Kyle O’Prey saw his low shot brilliantly tipped wide by the stretching Stevenson. Stevenson was called into action soon after when a McIlvaney free kick from the halfway line almost caught him out, taking a massive bounce in front of him and forcing him to be alert to tip the ball over the bar.

St Peters should have taken the lead soon after. Kyle O’Prey made a good run into the box before seeing his attempt blocked by the keeper, the ball rebounded to two St Peters players with the chance to bury the ball into the empty net but neither went for the ball and it was cleared away. St Peters were turning the screw and D’Arcy saw an attempted chip go just over from 30 yards out. Then a great ball in from Stephen Taylor on the right went all the way to the left, edge of the box where Kyle O’Prey controlled it well and curled his narrowly wide. The goal was forthcoming and came from a corner kick won by Andrew D’Arcy after his shot was deflected for the corner. Daniel Rooney opened the scoring after the corner was taken in low towards Connor Goldie who played the ball across to Rooney who neatly tucked the ball home just before half time. There was just enough time for Gourock’s Ryan Lewis to have a header blocked on the line by Stephen Taylor before being cleared away. 

Half Time: Gourock YAC Under 17s 0-1 St Peters BC Under 17s

The first half wasn’t as eventful as it sounded and it had been near enough all St Peters so if Gourock were to have any chance of claiming the Tom McPhillips cup they were going to have to up their first half performance. It took them just seven minutes into the second half to grab an equaliser. It was a stunning goal from Ryan Lewis who ran on to a long ball and dinked it over Conner Mason who was scrambling back but couldn’t prevent the ball looping over him and into the back of the net.

St Peters then had a header headed off the line following a free kick as they looked to establish their lead again. Though it was Gourock who were looking the more dangerous and a low drive by Ryan Lewis was well collected by Conner Mason in the St Peters goal. Mason was then forced to make a block after Lewis won a corner following a good tackle by Stephen Taylor. The ball in was flicked on by Keir Abercrombie but Mason did well to block it. Gourock’s James Docherty was then blocked off as he attempted to break through on goal and won a free kick. The free kick was in a good area but Nick Jack’s attempt was woeful as it tamely hit the wall and when it came back to him he couldn’t get a proper connection with the left foot and the danger was dealt with. It was Cameron Black who next went close for Gourock as his long swerving shot went just over the bar.

It was against the run of play, as with only a few minutes to go a brilliant finish from Daniel Rooney gave him and St Peters a second. Andrew D’Arcy went up for the ball but went down though the ball fell kindly for Rooney who despatched his shot low into the right hand corner and it looked like St Peters had one hand on the trophy. It wasn’t finished yet though as Gourock captain Corey Nicolson grabbed a last gasp equaliser with the last kick of the ball after a strong run from one of Nicolson’s teammates saw the ball lifted towards him and his shot sneaked in at the far post with Conner Mason getting a hand to the ball but just failing to keep the ball out. The game was going to extra time. 

Full Time: Gourock YAC Under 17s 2-2 St Peters BC Under 17s

Extra time had barely started when St Peters captain Andrew D’Arcy headed home from a corner to put his side 3-2 up. The ball went right across the face of goal straight to D’Arcy who knocked the ball in. There was very little action in the first half of extra time with a Kyle O’Prey overhead kick easily saved by Ben Stevenson and a Connor Goldie shot going over the bar the only chances of note over the first 15 minutes.

The second half of extra time was much livelier with Gourock coming out knowing they needed a goal to have any chance of lifting the cup. David Piggott sent a shot high over the bar and then Ryan Lewis missed a gilt edged opportunity, ballooning his shot high over the bar from around eight yards out. St Peters almost put the game out of sight but Chris Millers shot was brilliantly saved by Ben Stevenson. St Peters’ Jack McIlvaney then did his part to prevent Ryan Lewis from having a clear cut chance at making it 3-3. The equaliser came soon after courtesy of substitute Marc Robertson who did all the work breaking through on goal and lifting the ball over the oncoming Conner Mason to make it 3-3. There was one last chance for Robertson to win it for Gourock as he had two great chances, the first blocked by St Peters goalkeeper Conner Mason before Robertson blasted the rebound over the bar. The game was now going to penalties.

Jack Menzies and Darren Taylor scored for St Peters whilst Corey Nicolson and Cameron Black scored for Gourock. Daniel Rooney, who had scored two in normal time for St Peters was next up and his shot crashed off the post to hand the advantage to Gourock. Ryan Lewis then saw his penalty saved by Conner Mason and it was all square at 2-2 after three penalties each. Chris Miller, Scott Hughes, and Ross Barbour all stepped up and scored for St Peters and Gourock’s Marc Robertson, Jordan Kimmins and Ryan Wilson despatched theirs. St Peters Kyle O’Prey then saw his penalty well saved by Ben Stevenson before James Docherty stepped up and scored the winning penalty to hand victory to Gourock.   

Gourock YAC Under 17s
St Peters BC Under 17s
1. Ben Stevenson
2. Jordan Kimmins
3. Dylan Clark
4. Scott Gourley
6. Keir Abercrombie
7. David Piggott
8. Nick Jack
10. Ryan Lewis
11. Cameron Black
15. Corey Nicolson
16. James Docherty
5. Scott Donnelly 
9. Ryan Wilson
17. Marc Robertson 
1. Conner Mason
3. Jack Menzies
4. Jack McIlvaney
5. Scott Morrison
6. Andrew D'Arcy
7. Darren Taylor
8. Connor Goldie
9. Kyle O'Prey
11. Daniel Rooney
12. Greg White
17. Stephen Taylor
2. Chris Miller
10. Ross Barbour
12. Greg White
14. Scott Hughes
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Corey Nicolson
Givova UK Man of the Match: Daniel Rooney
Last modified on Monday, 05 August 2013 21:14
James Hunter

James Hunter | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments