Home My YFS
Monday, 23 April 2012 18:58

Bellfield Boys Club: Champions!

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Bellfield Royals BC Under 17s


KSC Kilbride United Under 17s
Competition: West of Scotland YFL
Venue: Saint Joseph's Academy
Date: 22/04/2012
Author: Ryan Rowe

Bellfield Royals 1-0 KSC Kilbride United (Under 17s)Bellfield entertained KSC Kilbride yesterday in a match that would go a long way in deciding the destination of the league title. The game proved to be a tight affair with both teams enjoying spells of dominance over the course of a breathless encounter.
The match kicked off and both teams showed their attacking intent from the off. Kilbride had two early corners cleared away by the Bellfield defence. William Dunlop went close for KSC in the opening minutes, sliding in to get on the end of a low cross. He met the ball six yards out but his effort flew narrowly wide. 
Bellfield responded by pushing forward to create chances of their own. Sam McCloskey and Sean Mears switched flanks and began to cause trouble to the opposition's full-backs. Bellfield started to dominate the game, enjoying the majority of possession. Steven Hill, David Shedden and Sam McCloskey all went close and Bellfield were always looking dangerous from free kicks. 
While on top, Bellfield got the goal they deserved - albeit with a stroke of luck. Steven Hill picked up the ball from David Shedden on the edge of the box. He had time to shape to shoot and he fired a well-struck shot at goal. The shot headed right for the safe hands of the keeper but he could not hold it as it spilled into his own net. Hill raised his hands in a mixture of luck and joy as he set his team on their way to victory.
The rest of the half remained mostly even, with Bellfield probably just edging it overall. Chances for both teams did remain few and far between however.

Half Time: Bellfield Royals Under 17s 1-0 KSC Kilbride Under 17s

Bellfield Royals 1-0 KSC Kilbride United (Under 17s)The second half kicked off and both teams again shared even amounts of possession but both sides defended well to prevent any further goals. Bellfield's back four of Golightly, Kirkwood, Larmour and McLaren looked assured fot the whole game, never in danger of losing a goal while faced with plenty of pressure. 
Likewise, Kilbride's Abercombie, Kerr and Tan were assertive. As the hour mark passed, Kilbride began to push on to try and salvage their flailing league hopes. Pickering and Melvin strived down the wings but could not break through. They pressed for much of the remainder of the game but clear-cut chances were few and far between, except from corners. 
The Bellfield management of Jock Quinn and Peter McCloskey knew energy in midfield was crucial, and the introduction of Johnathon Quinn, Jack Robertson, Ryan Rowe and John McClure helped the almost ever-present and energetic Andy Hunter in providing the important push as the game began to draw to a close. Steven Hill looked most dangerous to score and he had a couple of attempts on goal, and McCloskey also threatened. Both teams put in extremely determined displays as both knew the importance of the tie.
The game did eventually come to a close at 1-0. Bellfield were crowned champions and the relief and pride was clear to see. Despite being under the cosh for long periods by a strong KSC team, Bellfield were still able to fight to retain their league crown. This dogged display wins them their first trophy of a possible five this season. The two meet next weekend in a league cup final.
Full Time: Bellfield Royals Under 17s 1-0 KSC Kilbride United Under 17s
Givova UK Man of the Match: Craig McLaren (Bellfield)
Givova UK Man of the Match: Marc Abercrombie (KSC Kilbride)
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 16:08
Ryan Rowe

Ryan Rowe | YFS South West Region Journalist & Bonnyton Thistle Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments