Home My YFS
Sunday, 08 April 2012 23:48

Inspired 10 man Maryhill win game of two halves

Written by  Eddie McGeachie
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Maryhill Juniors Under 17s
Morton BC Under 17s
Competition: Glasgow & District YFL Division 1
Venue: Lochburn Park
Date: 08/04/2012
Today was ideal weather conditions and pitch for an unscheduled league game between Maryhill and Morton.
Maryhill played a fired up Morton side, straight from the kick off Morton showed their intentions. Morton has to be commended for their desire and nearly scored within the first 10 minutes, when a header from a free kick was deemed offside.
It took Maryhill 30 minutes to get their first shot on target when Donnachie showed a piece of brilliance and fired the shot to test the Morton keeper.
Maryhill looked very flat and Morton pushed forward. When Maryhill won possession to start a passing game it resulted in 10 passes out of defence.
Shortly before half time – Morton broke forward 1 on 1 only for Mullins to pull off a must win clearance for a corner, the ball came in only for McGeachie to punch out and the referee to blow for half time.
Half Time: Maryhill Juniors Under 17s 0-0 Morton BC Under 17s
As the teams went back to the dressing rooms an incident happened in the tunnel, with the referee issuing Lawson a red card. Maryhill found themselves down to 10 men on top of a below par first half performance. At half time the dressing room team talk was very direct and to the point. Maryhill left the dressing room and lined for the second half.
The team talk managed to have the desired effect – Maryhill seemed to up a gear and they looked as if they had the extra man, Morton defended well, pushing forward at pace, with Boyd launching a volley within the first 5 minutes. 
Morton pushed forward and McGeachie collected the ball he hit the ball at Clark on the half way line; he went on a run and found himself in the penalty box where he was pulled down. Penalty Maryhill and it was converted by Clark.
With Maryhill now on fire after the team talk, they moved the ball from side to side with Boyd enjoying more of the ball. On the left he broke free and delivered a ball in onto Simpson on the half way line. As Simpson came to meet the ball, it bounced perfectly for him and he fired home from 35 yards, the goal of the season, by unleashing a rocket right into the top right hand corner.
Maryhill then won the ball back from the kick off and in a bizarre piece of play the ball went to Boyd who delivered the ball over to Simpson; yet again he fired home an almost identical goal to the first 50 seconds before. 
15 minutes later O’Rourke found himself in the same position as Simpson and on his left foot launched a shoot over the keeper and into the back of the net.
In summary this was a game of two halves, with Maryhill bagging another 3 points
Full Time: Maryhill Juniors Under 17s 4-0 Morton BC Under 17s
Last modified on Monday, 05 August 2013 23:45
Login to post comments