Home My YFS
Friday, 30 March 2012 09:40

Dunfermline comeback seals berth in national final

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Dunfermline HS Under 15s
Dalkeith HS Under 15s
Competition: SSFA Shield - Semi Final
Venue: Prestonfield Park, Linlithgow
Date: 29/03/2012
Author: Andrew Jenkin
Dunfermline HS vs Dalkeith HS - Under 15sDunfermline booked their place in final of the Lloyds TSB SSFA Shield after they ran out 4-2 winners over Dalkeith. 
Linlithgow Rose’s Prestonfield Park played host to the semi-final which was well attended by both schools. 
Dunfermline could have taken the lead as early as the third minute when Healy’s corner was met by a Alister McDonald volley, but he could only steer the ball over the bar. 
Minutes later it was Dalkeith’s go. Dyet ghosted in at the far post unmarked but his effort was well saved by Dunfermline keeper Quinn Franklin. However, Dalkeith did find a way past Franklin from the resulting corner. An inswinger to the near post wasn’t cleared properly and William Hutcheson was on hand to bundle the ball over the Dunfermline line.
Dalkeith could have doubled their advantage shortly after when Liam Mathen’s fiercely struck shot was saved by the legs of Franklin for the rebound to fall kindly at the feet of Robbie Carter, he duly dispatched but the goal was rightly chalked by the linesman on accounts of being offside.
Dunfermline responded well and were would have been back on level terms had McDonald’s freekick not whistled the wrong side of the crossbar. Shortly after a fantastic pass from Healy on the right wing picked out McDonald whose superb volley was acrobatically caught by Dalkeith’s keeper McOwen. 
Dalkeith had had the better of the first half and had a golden opportunity to go into the half time interval two goals up. A loose back pass from Mitchell was latched onto by the ever dangerous Ryan Weston who perhaps should have scored when one on one with Franklin but could only fire against the onrushing keeper’s legs. A miss Dalkeith would rue.
Dunfermline’s skipper McDonald had been a constant threat to the Dalkeith backline and his testing efforts eventually reaped rewards. A mazy run  down the left wing culminated in a teasing cross which Scott Hynd nodded back across goal and past McOwen meaning when the referee blew for half-time, the sides were level.
Half Time: Dunfermline HS Under 15s 1-1 Dalkeith HS Under 15s
Dunfermline HS vs Dalkeith HS - Under 15sAlthough there were plenty of chances in the first half, the keepers had been mostly equal to them. However, the second half saw attacking football prevail with three goals in the seconds half’s explosive opening ten minutes. 
Dunfermline's players were the quickest out the traps and caught the sleepy Dalkeith off guard.  
A throw in sat up kindly for Hynd but his gloriously struck volley went just narrowly over. They then generated another chance when good link up play between Aitken and Healy resulted in a tame effort.
But then, having been behind, Dunfermline took the lead. Influential playmaker Yousef Asam floated  a beautiful free-kick into the Dalkeith box where an unmarked Euan Aitken nodded past McOwen who remained rooted to the spot. 
There was a feeling that a one goal advantage wouldn’t be enough to win this tie and the next goal could be crucial, and it was. With the wind between their tails, Dunfermline made the most of their momentum and quickly added a third goal. 
A long punt forward fell into the path of Scott Russell and he expertly drove the bouncing ball beyond the finger tips of McOwen high into the Dalkeith net.
You might be forgiven for considering this to be essentially match point, but Dalkeith responded fantastically. Connor Dyet crossed from the right wing and the ball bounced over Dunfermline right back Hamish Michie and was eventually met by the foot of substitute Stephen Wood whose sublime finish put Dalkeith right back into the tie at 3-2. 
However they were only able to create half chances and couldn’t find the equalizing goal to recover from their poor start to the second half. 
Dunfermline continued to dominate proceedings and their pressure told as they got the goal which essentially killed the game. The ball rolled to Darryl Healy whose first time clipped effort lobbed keeper McOwen and bounced into the net off the underside of the bar.
Both teams had had their chances and on another day the game might have ended differently, however, it wasn’t to be for Dalkeith who might look back ruefully at some good chances when 1-0 up. However, Dunfermline’s second half performance was one to behold, a joy to watch and certainly one which will instill confidence ahead of their bout in final. 
Their opponents will be St Peter the Apostle HS of Clydebank, who were victorious in last year's Under 14s competition.
Full Time: Dunfermline HS Under 15s 4-2 Dalkeith HS Under 15s
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Alistair McDonald
Givova UK Man of the Match: Tony Milne
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 14:37
Login to post comments