Home My YFS
Sunday, 11 March 2012 20:47

Clinical Rovers progress at Juniors' expense

Written by  Eddie McGeachie
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Albion Rovers Under 17s
Maryhill Juniors Under 17s
Competition: West Region Cup - Quarter Final
Venue: Airdrie Sports Centre
Date: 11/03/2012
Maryhill Juniors travel to Monklands today to take on Albion Rovers from the GADYFL. This was a scheduled Regional Cup Game. The venue was excellent and the wind played its part in the game. Straight from the kickoff Maryhill dominated the game and were rewarded with a goal in the first 2 mins.
Donnachie, who has been enjoying a new found confidence and passion for the game, worked the ball on the left with McKenna and won a corner the ball was flight in by Simpson the ball seemed to bounce all over the place – Donnachie was on hand to slot the ball home.
On the 4 minute mark Bentley had made a move into a clear position the came to him, he shot and the keeper sent the ball behind. Maryhill pressed and used the advantage of the wind.
Two minutes later Rovers burst forward but McGeachie was there to collect. Darcy, Chalmers, Lawson worked together on a three man move with the ball ending up with Bentley, who made the keeper pull off a great save.
Midway through the half Maryhill lost the ball in defence and the long flighted ball made its way into the box and the Rovers striker sloted the ball home.
During this period Maryhill had corner after corner, and were rewarded in the 42nd minute when the ball hit the under side of the bar. The ball made its way to Simspon whose shot hit off the defender and went into the net.
In the final minute of the half Donnachie beat the offside trap and found himself 1 on 1 with the keeper and in Messi style tried an audacious lob, which was excellently saved.
However, there was still time left for Rovers to hit on the break. A long ball into the centre of the 18 yard box saw the attacker side stepped the keeper and equalise.
Half Time: Albion Rovers Under 17s 2-2 Maryhill Juniors Under 17s
From the off the home side pushed forward with the wind at their backs. Albion came close and from a resulting corner they took the lead. 
Clark and Furay came on as Maryhill looked to find a way back into the game. With only his second touch of the ball Clark weaved his way through the Rovers defence and slotted the ball home passed the keeper to make it 3-3.
Just after the hour mark Albion Rovers took the lead once again, making it 4-3.
As Maryhill pushed for an equaliser Clark raced through on goal, and looked to be taken out by the goalkeeper, however the referee waved play on. 
In the final minute Juniors went down to 10 men when Littler was shown red for a challenge on the Rovers goalkeeper.
Maryhill, during this game, had 25 shots on Target – Rovers had 8 and clinically took their chances to progress into the semi finals.
Full Time: Albion Rovers Under 17s 4-3 Maryhill Juniors Under 17s
Last modified on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 12:17
Login to post comments