Home My YFS
Sunday, 26 February 2012 20:54

Red hot second half sees Bellfield grab the spoils

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Bellfield BC Under 17's
Whitletts Victoria Under 17's
Competition: West of Scotland Under 17's Youth League
Venue: Struther's Park, Kilmarnock
Date: 26/02/2012
8th placed Whitletts travelled to high-flying Bellfield in the league in what was one of the few games to survive the weekend’s wet weather. The damp conditions certainly had an effect on the game as neither team were able to play a great amount of attractive football, but this was no drab spectacle by any means.
Both teams pushed forward in the opening stages, but while Whitletts never created any clear cut chances, at the other end Bellfield did not have any cutting edge. Whitletts failed to test keeper Archie Lightbody for the majority of the first half, and Bellfield tried to make the most of the half chances they created, but to little avail. Sam McCloskey went closest with a volley from the six yard area and was unlucky not to convert. 
Jack Robertson surged into the box and appeared to have been bodychecked, but the referee saw no infringement and waved play on. Whitletts defended stubbornly but David Shedden put Bellfield ahead with a good finish, and soon enough the half time whistle was blown.
Half Time: Bellfield BC Under 17's 1 - 0 Whitletts Victoria Under 17's
Bellfield began to assert a greater dominance in the game in the second half. The game dissolved into an increasing battle in the difficult conditions with tackles flying in. 
Steven Hill added Bellfield’s second goal with a sublime turn and left foot finish which nestled crisply in the corner of the net. Bellfield continued to surge forward with Hunter, Mears, McClure and Shedden all looking dangerous. 
Stand-in captain Ryan Golightly drove forward on a solo run and ended up on-on-one but was unable to beat the keeper on his weaker foot. Golightly had another chance to score when a penalty was awarded for a tug on Steven Hill. Whitletts defender Connor Bell was booked for his protests but Golightly hit the post with his penalty, only for Hill to slot home the rebound. 
Bellfield added their next three goals from corners: it is believed Shedden got the crucial touch for the first, before John McClure nipped in to score from close range for the fifth, and Blair Larmour placed a firm header into the corner of the net for the last. 
Bellfield continued to press on as Whitletts went down to ten men, with McLaren pushing forward on occasion from defence. He was also involved in a penalty incident, but the referee decided the tackle was fair. Substitute Nathan Ross also went closewith a well hit volley but the keeper held well.
A battling game saw an efficient if not maximum performance from Bellfield. Their cutting edge eventually provided the difference with each striker grabbing a double, before Whitletts were reduced to ten men in a 6-0 victory for the Kilmarnock outfit.
Full Time: TBellfield BC Under 17's 6 - 0 Whitletts Victoria Under 17's
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 17:20
Login to post comments