Home My YFS
Sunday, 04 December 2011 18:49

Wishaw fight back to overturn Hurlford

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Hurlford Thistle Under 19s


Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers Under 19s 
Competition: SYFA Challenge Cup - Round 5
Venue: St Joseph's Academy, Kilmarnock
Date: 04/12/2011
Author: Ross Mitchell

Hurlford and Wishaw played out their 5th Round tie in testing conditions as hail stones pelted the players for the majority of the game. Wishaw kicked the game off.
The first fifteen minutes of the match consisted of the two teams feeling each other out.  Neither team created any chances or dominated possession until Hurlford took the initiative with two quick fire goals around quarter of an hour into the game. 
Ted McVey created the first goal after keeping the ball well under pressure on the left wing.  He was able to turn and got a cross in to the six yard area where David Cassidy was able to tap in unchallenged.  Hurlford’s second goal came from a corner taken by Gary Ross.  Tony McNally saw his header stopped on the line but Grant Lobban was on hand to fire the rebound in from three yards out.
Wishaw had started slowly but after going two goals down woke up and were able to create some chances for themselves.  The first chance fell to Jamie Moir after good play between Jordan Dunn and Steven Green but Moir blasted the ball over from 10 yards out.  Moir was involved again as Wishaw created another chance.  This time Moir laid the ball off to Billy Tweedie who hit his shot straight at Hurlford’s keeper. 
Wishaw’s next chance seen them get back into the game.  Steven Green played Jamie Moir through against the goalkeeper, Moir drive into the penalty area and finished well to change the manager’s team talks going into half time.
At half time, Hurlford will be disappointed with how they performed after going two goals ahead.  They stopped creating chances and have let Wishaw back into the game.  Wishaw, though, will be happy with their team’s performance as they have the momentum going into the second half after coming strong at the end of the first half.      
Half Time:  Hurlford Thistle 2 – 1 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers  
The second half began the same way as the first half ended – with Wishaw looking the more dangerous team. 
The first chance of the half came within minutes of the restart and Wishaw nearly drew level. Jordan Welsh played in a dangerous free kick which ran through to Jamie Moir who flicked the ball goal wards.  Only a brilliant save from Dylan McDonnell kept Hurlford’s lead intact.
The next chance of the game fell the visitors’ way and they were able to equalise. The ball was passed to Jamie Moir who was inside the Hurlford box, the striker took a lovely touch around a defender which gave him the space to lob the ball over the Hurlford keeper to bring his side level.
Wishaw began to dominate the game without any response from Hurlford.  The home team’s best effort came from a corner which Ted McVey won but his header went just wide.
With the next attack Wishaw took the lead which was totally deserved based on their second half performance. A corner was not cleared by the Hurlford defence and the ball fell to sub Glen Sneddon who placed his shot into the corner passed the keeper.
As the game was coming to an end Hurlford began to push for an equaliser.  They had two good chances before the final whistle but neither was taken. A scrabble in the box was made up of three shots all being blocked and eventually the ball going for a Hurlford corner which was wasted. 
The last chance of the game was a good one which should have been taken by Gary Ross who had a free header inside the six yard area after being found by Ted McVey from a free kick.
The full time whistle went shortly after this attack to signal Wishaw’s progression into the sixth round of the Scottish Challenge Cup.
At full time, Hurlford will be very disappointed with the performance in the second half after such a good one in the first quarter of the game.  They will also be disappointed with letting a two goal lead slip.  Wishaw will be very happy with the win and the performance they put in after a slow start.  They used the ball better than their hosts and were then able to take the chances they had created.       
Full Time:  Hurlford Thistle 2 – 3 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Hurlford Thistle Under 19s
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers Under 19s
1.  Dylan McDonnell (GK)
2.  Gary Stewart
3.  Gary Ross
4.  Davie Johnstone
5.  Grant Lobban
6.  Cammy Fletcher
7.  David Cassidy (c)
8.  Ted McVey
9.  Stuart Hunter
10.  Tony McNally
11.  Jackson Biggar
12.  Ross Kirkwood
14.  Jordan Banks
15.  Andy McQuade
16.  Mark Davidson
17.  Fraser Black
1.  Jordan Brown (GK)
2.  Kyle Richardson
3.  Darren Reid
4.  Aidan Dobbin
6.  Jordan Welsh
7.  Jordan Dunn (c)
8.  Aaron Bulloch
9.  Daniel McRorie
10.  Jamie Moir
12.  Steven Green
17.  Billy Tweedie
5.  Derri Brown
11.  Glen Sneddon
14.  Alan Prentice
15.  Ross McIlloney
16.  David Watson
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Ted McVey
Givova UK Man of the Match: Jamie Moir
Last modified on Tuesday, 09 July 2013 18:13
Ross Mitchell

Ross Mitchell | YFS South West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments