Home My YFS
Saturday, 29 October 2011 20:06

South Camlachie's super eight

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

South Camlachie Under 21s
Edinburgh United Under 21s
Competition: Scottish Cup
Venue: East End Healthy Living
Date: 28/10/2011
Author: Paul Elliott
After a bright start by Edinburgh United it was the hosts, South Camlachie, who progressed to the next round of the Scottish Cup when they convincingly mauled the visiting Edinburgh side with a devastating eight goal rout in Glasgow.
The game was 3 minutes old when Edinburgh United went on the attack and looked dangerous as a cross-field pass found Joe McVey in space on the right wing. He swung in a right footed cross and met the charging run of Jake Brown but the resulting header flashed past the post with the keeper helpless.
A couple of minutes later and Jordan Smith sent a sliding pass for Joe McVey who had once again found space on the right wing, but his cross was wayward and went over the bar, relieving the pressure that Edinburgh had piled on the home side.

In the 8th minute, South Camlachie’s Aarron Douglas fired a left foot rocket, which was deflected past the upright for a corner kick. Douglas took the set-piece himself but his left footed cross was cleared easily by the black and white shirted Edinburgh United defence.

South Camlachie took the game by the scruff of the neck and their first period of pressure paid-off when David Quinn scored to make it 1-0 to the home side. A defensive mistake in the Edinburgh rearguard following a speculative pass allowed Quinn to pick his spot, first time, in the corner of the net.

It was a very quick game, with the ball zipping around the pitch from end to end, and it wasn’t till the 20th minute that a clear opportunity presented itself to either side. Edinburgh United won a free kick, which was sent curling round the post by Jason Watson.

David Quinn then scored for South Camlachie to make it 2-0 and swing the tie considerably in favour of the home side. The unmarked Quinn hit the net with a looping header from a hopeful long ball into the box. It was a great finish by Quinn for his, and his club‘s second of the match.

South Camlachie then took complete control of the game and piled on the pressure as Edinburgh defended far too deep. The constant waves of South Camlachie attacks were relentless but found Edinburgh somehow surviving.
In the 27th minute Ryan Haxton hooked a long range effort well wide of the target to offer the away side some respite from the battering they were getting.

Edinburgh’s goalkeeper and captain Neil McArthur went about attempting to rally the troops but moments later South Camlachie were on top of them again and David Quinn had a header cleared off the line by Darren Darling. Other than the outcome, it was a carbon copy of the second goal he scored and Edinburgh were fighting for their lives as South Camlachie went looking to kill the tie early in the match.

On the half hour mark, William Workman scored to make it 3-0 for the home side and effectively finished the game. A defensive error was responsible for the goal when hesitancy to clear the ball in the box allowed Workman to capitalise and rifle the ball into the net at the post with his right foot.

Edinburgh’s players were clearly angry with each other as it was basic errors that were costing them goals.
In the 38th minute Edinburgh played some nice football to create an opportunity but when the cross came in for Jake Brown, the striker at full length couldn’t get on the end of it.

Edinburgh tried to ask questions in attack but found that South Camlachie were well organised at the back and first to every ball all over the field.
A long ball over the South Camlachie defence sent Edinburgh’s Jake Brown racing in on goal but the little striker was floored by Alan Cuthbert between the sticks after the keeper won the footrace to the ball.

As half time approached, it was Jake Brown who was showing glimpses of class for the visitors but failed to make any clear chances. Their best effort was a Johnny Coleman cross, which was well gathered by the South Camlachie keeper.
When the half time whistle blew the visitors trudged in at half time to regroup while the South Camlachie players were visibly pleased with their first half dominance.
Half Time: South Camlachie Under 21s 3-0 Edinburgh United Under 21s
Edinburgh United made a half time substitution with Sam Campbell entering the action and from the whistle, Edinburgh’s John Sargeant had an early effort that skidded past the post.

Up the other end of the park, and some lovely skill on the left wing by South Camlachie’s Alan Clark saw the winger skin his man and cut the ball back for the onrushing Camlachie midfield but the ball was hooked clear for a corner.

On 47minutes, Jason Watson had a long range effort well saved as Edinburgh tried to claw their way back into the match.

South Camlachie however, took control of the match again and threatened when David Quinn spun his marker in the box. A neat pass picked the striker out at the far post but the referee blew for offside. David Quinn was involved again when he was sent in on goal by Paul Leitch and the resulting lob was well dealt with on the goal line by Joe McVey.

In the 50th minute, South Camlachie’s David Quinn made it 4-0 when he grabbed his hat-trick. A cross swung in from the left wing and the striker nipped in front of the defender to prod the ball past the goalkeeper and into the corner of the net.

Almost immediately after the 4th goal, South Camlachie’s Darren Miller threatened to damage them further when another deep cross flew into the Edinburgh United box, but the visitors were let off the hook when Miller couldn’t connect.

In 53 minutes, David Quinn shot wide of the Edinburgh goal with just the keeper to beat after a tidy exchange with Ryan McLean forged the opening.
Quinn however, was not to be denied and scored his fourth, and South Camlachie’s fifth, shortly after when he showed lightning pace to outrun the Edinburgh defence and finish clinically. 5-0.

Edinburgh United’s players’ heads went down and had to endure more misery when South Camlachie were awarded a penalty. Craig Buchanan had a snapshot from the edge of the box saved spectacularly by the keeper but the rebound landed at Buchanan’s feet and he was felled in the box before he could finish and won his side a penalty.
Ryan McLean stepped up and buried the ball from the spot to put South Camlachie 6-0 ahead.

Moments later and another penalty was awarded to South Camlachie when Darren Miller was brought down in the box. This time Darryl Still stepped up to the spot but blasted it past the post.
A couple of minutes later and Still made up for his penalty miss when he lobbed the goalkeeper from twenty five yards to make the score 7-0.

South Camlachie continued to batter the away side as an Arron Douglas free kick grazed the bar on its way over, followed swiftly by a Stuart Mills shot, which was saved by Neil McArthur at full stretch in the Edinburgh United goal.

Edinburgh’s Neil Smeaton battled hard in the 75th minute to make a chance for himself but his shot was gobbled up by the goalkeeper. The ball went quickly up the other end of the park and Ryan McLean shot over from close range.

South Camlachie’s Brian Henderson finished the scoring when he picked his spot in the bottom left-hand corner of the net with a sweet right foot shot to make it 8-0.

As Edinburgh United went home battered and bruis
ed, South Camlachie went marching on into the next round of the Scottish Cup with a well-sharpened sting in their tail.
Full Time: South Camlachie Under 21s 8-0 Edinburgh United Under 21s
South Camlachie Under 21s
Edinburgh United Under 21s
1 Alan Cuthbert
5 Craig Buchanan
7 Alan Clark
Paul Leitch
2 Graham Wilson
6 Aarron Douglas
9 Ryan McLean
11 David Quinn
24 Brian Henderson
16 Stuart Mills
21 William Workman
10 Darren Miller
14 Ntaba Mashimango
25 Daryll Brown
17 Darryl Still
1 Neil McArthur
2 Neil Smeaton
3 Ross Shields
4 Johnny Coleman
5 Joe McVey
6 Jason Watson
7 Jake Brown
8 Sam Campbell
9 John Sergeant
10 Jordan Smith
11 Kris Mitchell
12 Stewart Crozier
14 Darren Darling
18 Daniel Sheckleton
21 Andy Williamson
23 Robbie Duncan
25 Denholm Lyall
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: David Quinn
Givova UK Man of the Match: Jake Brown
Last modified on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 22:33
Login to post comments