Home My YFS

Joy for Jagusinski as Fairmuir advance to Scottish Cup Semi-finals

Fairmuir BC 1

Jagusinski 109'

Blantyre SA Blacks 0

  • Fairmuir BC 1-0 Blantyre SA Blacks
  • Sunday, 27 January 2019
  • Graham Street
  • Under 17´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup - Quarter Final

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Rory Jagusinski’s cross-cum-shot sealed Fairmuir’s place in the Last Four of the Scottish Cup as they edged out Blantyre SA in the tightest of quarter finals.

A heavy pitch and near gale force winds meant that the match was never going to be a free-flowing affair as both sides battled hard in the midfield in search of an opening.

Fairmuir failed to trouble Blantyre with a series of free kicks, while the visitors went close breaking the deadlock when Anthony Hampson was sent through on goal, only to lift his shot against the crossbar.

A quick free kick played into Jay Swan threatened to unlock the Fairmuir defence on the stroke of half time, but Ethan Samson was on hand to deal with the danger.

  • Half Time:
  • Fairmuir BC
  • 0-0
  • Blantyre SA Blacks

Despite playing into the wind, it was Blantyre that started the second half on the front foot. Ryan Johnstone headed over from a free kick before setting up Kammy Jackson with a low cross that Jackson turned past the post.

Fairmuir’s first chance came when Jay Coupar teed up Samson, who saw his first-time strike blocked before it reached David Malarky in the Blantyre goal.

At the other end, Cammy Hendry produced a fingertip save to keep out a low strike from Hampson before Samson cleared the resulting corner off the line.

As full time approached players from both sides began to drop with cramp and niggles as the intensity of the match began to take its toll.

Hampson saw a stinging strike kept out by Hendry with what proved to be the final chance of normal time.

  • Full Time:
  • Fairmuir BC
  • 0-0
  • Blantyre SA Blacks
Fairmuir had the first chance of extra time as Samson headed the ball against the post before seeing a volley from Rory Jagusinski’s kept out by Malarky.

Blantyre could only clear a Jagusinski cross as far as Matthew Nelson, but he could only skew his volley wide as the first half of extra time ended goalless.

With 11 minutes remaining, Fairmuir broke the deadlock through Jagusinski. The wingback delivered a cross from the right that caught out Malarky and landed in the net.

Blantyre pushed for an equaliser but were nearly undone as Malarky’s misjudged throw landed at the feet of Ross Hazel, who fired wide from 20 yards with the goal at his mercy.

Jake Grady went close to doubling Fairmuir’s lead at the death as the hosts hit Blantyre on the break. Mark McCrory provided the pass but Malarky was equal to the striker’s effort.

It was clear from early on in this match that it was going to be a low-scoring affair. A combination of tricky conditions and strong defensive performances from both sides meant that the tie was going to be decided by a moment of magic or a stroke of luck. Unfortunately for Blantyre, it was the latter that saw them bow out of the competition.

They will feel that they played well enough to have at least taken the game to penalties, but ultimately their failure to capitalise when they were on top early in the second half cost them the match.

Despite that, reaching the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup is nothing to be sniffed at and they will have learned some valuable lessons as they turn their attention to domestic silverware for the remainder of the season.

As for Fairmuir, this was far from a vintage performance from them, but cup football is all about the results. From the first whistle to the last, they stood up and matched Blantyre physically, which clearly took its toll in the latter stages of the match as several players played through cramp and niggles to get the team over the line.

While the football was far from vintage, the tactical discipline and streetwise approach was impressive, and once again Rory Jagusinski provided the goal in a big game for Fairmuir.

With only 180 minutes of football separating them from Youth Football’s biggest prize, Fairmuir have shown all the qualities that Scottish Cup winners of the past have demonstrated and while they might not be the favourites for the competition, they should have no fear ahead of the semi-finals.

Final Result: Fairmuir BC 1-0 Blantyre SA Blacks


Fairmuir BC
Blantyre SA Blacks
1. Cameron Hendry
2. Evan Adam
3. Mark McCrory
5. Fraser Nelson
6. Matthew Nelson
8. Ross Hazel
9. Jake Grady
10. Jamie Timmons
11. Nairn Bonnar
12. Rory Jagusinski
14. Jay Coupar
17. Ethan Samson
20. Kane Hynes
1. David Malarky
2. David Cannon
3. Ryan Johnstone
4. Olly Grenfell
5. Jay Swan
6. Adam Smith
7. Jamie Conlon
8. Anthony Hampson
9. Ross Docherty
10. Bradley Craig
11. Kammy Jackson
12. Brendan Owens
14. Shay Livingstone
15. Logan Buick
16. Lewis Yule
Star Player
Fairmuir BC
Blantyre SA Blacks
Mark McCrory - To a man Fairmuir were excellent, but their captain led be example with an industrious performance all over the park.
Anthony Hampson - Battled well throughout the match and looked the most likely to break through the Fairmuir defence.
Magic Moment
Fairmuir BC
Blantyre SA Blacks
Jagusinski's Goal - Was it a cross? Was it a shot? Only the Fairmuir man knows but it took his side to the Scottish Cup semi-final. A fitting reward for one of Fairmuir's hardest workers on the day.
Hampson's Shot - This was the closest Blantyre came to a goal as Hampson rattled the woodwork late in the first half. On another day, it may have been the winner.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments