Home My YFS

Dyce edge past Holytown to reach Scottish Cup semi-final

Holytown Colts 1

Small 20

Dyce Boys Club FC 2

McLaren 33, Pirie 45
  • Sunday, 27 January 2019
  • Keir Hardie Sports Centre
  • Under 15´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup - Quarter Final

It was Holytown Colts who hosted Dyce Boys Club in this eagerly awaited Scottish Cup Quarter Final, played at Keir Hardie Sports Centre.

Dyce had the better of the opening exchanges, winning several corners and freekicks but struggled to create any clear cut chances of note in the early part of the game.

In the initial stages, the game was scrappy and being stopped regularly through freekicks and throw ins with both sides unable to put together any significant passages of play.

Holytown began to edge into the cup tie and it was the home side who took the lead in what was the first real chance created by either team. Michael Small was played through on the right hand side and he still had a lot of work to do, but his dipping half volley was a fantastic finish and was too much for Kris Abernethy in the Dyce goal to give Holytown the advantage after 20 minutes.

The goal gave the home team the confidence they needed and they were now dictating the match and passing the ball around very nicely.

Jackson Pirie had the first shot in anger for Dyce in the first half as he was given too much space on the edge of the box but his effort went well over.

Jos McLaren thought he had equalised for Dyce but in fact the referee had pulled the play back for a penalty for a foul by Liam Boyle. McLaren brushed himself off and calmly slotted the penalty away to put Dyce level after 33 mins.

Dyce were on top towards the end of the half, but the teams went in level at halftime and it was probably a fair reflection of the game to that point.

  • Half Time:
  • Holytown Colts
  • 1-1
  • Dyce Boys Club FC

Dyce took their momentum from the first half into the second and they duly took advantage of that by going in front five minutes in. A deep corner to the backpost was headed goalwards by Jackson Pirie and despite the best efforts of Scott McCallum the ball had crossed the line and he had put the away team ahead for the first time in the match.

Holytown had to respond but similar to the fist half they were struggling to create clear chances and cause problems for the Dyce defence.

Robin Dingwall in the Holytown goal almost gifted Dyce a third which would have sealed the result but Ryan Park couldn’t capitalise on the mistake and blazed his shot over. 

The second half was a nervy affair for both teams, with Holytown desperate to get back into the cup tie and Dyce doing their best to see the match out and progress to the semi-finals. 

Credit has to be given to Dyce for their second half performance as they done a fantastic job seeing the game, allowing the home side very little opportunity to equalise and they looked more likely to add to their lead. 

Holytown certainly didn’t lack enthusiasm and workrate as they tried everything to get back into the game but they just lacked the quality to grab a second goal. 

The fulltime whistle went amid wild celebrations for the Dyce fans who will progress to the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup in what will be a huge occasion for all involved.

  • Full Time:
  • Holytown Colts
  • 1-2
  • Dyce Boys Club FC


Holytown Colts
Dyce Boys Club FC
1. Robin Dingwall
2. Sonny Brown
3. Lewis Hoskins
4. Scott McCallum
5. Lennon Black
6. Liam Boyle
7. Ben Muir
8. Alex Zadok
9. Jamie McLaughlin
10. Michael Small
11. Kai Gibson
12. Harris Simpson
14. Matthew Melia
15. Jamie Linden
16. Jay Goode
17. Jordan Griffen
Shaun Ward
1. Kris Abernethy
2. Ariel Blanksby
3. Kyle Douglas
4. James Steel
5. Lucas Smith
6. Ryan McShea
7. Reagan Rintoul
8. Ewan Skinner
9. Jos McLaren
10. Jackson Pirie
11. Jack Durno
15. Ryan Park
16. Ruairidh Smith
Star Player
Holytown Colts
Dyce Boys Club FC
The star player for Holytown Colts was the captain Lennon Black who was a strong defender in defence for the home side. He provided much needed cover on a few occasions for his teammates and made sure that Dyce didn't add to their lead as his team searched for an equaliser in the second half.
The star player for Dyce was striker Jos McClaren, who equalised for his team with a cool penalty in the first half. He was a constant menace to the Holytown defence all afternoon with some strong running from deep with the ball and he was unlucky not to add to his tally on a few occasions.
Magic Moment
Holytown Colts
Dyce Boys Club FC
The magic moment for Holytown was their goal in the first half from Michael Small which gave the home side the lead. It was a fantastic finish from just outside the box into the opposite corner which gave the goalkeeper no chance.
The magic moment for Dyce has to be their winning goal which came from a fantastic header from Jackson Pirie at the backpost, which gave his side the belief they needed to eventually go on to win the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments