Home My YFS

Rossvale progress to Final in dramatic turnaround

Fauldhouse United 1

Stanaird 3

Rossvale FC 3

Traynor 81, 104, Holland 96
  • Fauldhouse United 1-3 Rossvale FC (AET)
  • Sunday, 03 April 2016
  • Creamery Park, Bathgate
  • Under 16´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup

Jack Thomson | YFS Falkirk Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Creamery Park was the venue for Sunday’s Scottish Youth Football Association Cup Semi-Final and the pitch was in perfect condition as Fauldhouse United and Rossvale Football Club prepared to lock horns in search of cup glory. It was a well-contested affair as both teams donned hearts proudly on their sleeves in a match that would eventually be decided in dramatic fashion in extra-time. 

The opening stages were somewhat frantic as both sides looked to impose themselves on proceedings and the first clear cut opportunity came the way of Rossvale in the opening minute. Keir Thomson drew a foul on the left side of the box, allowing Calum Holland the opportunity to curl a ball into the penalty area. The attempted clearance fell kindly for Christopher McLeod who knocked his effort just beyond the left-hand post. 

Fauldhouse were perhaps shocked into life by the scare as minutes later the impressive Alex Robertson won a free-kick on the left. Jamie Stanaird stepped up to bend an exquisite effort into the area which dipped over Pierce Finnie and into the top right hand corner of the net. Stanaird’s finish was greeted by rapturous applause as Fauldhouse celebrated taking the lead in an end to end opening to the tie.

Rossvale refused to be discouraged, however, and would have levelled in the 8th minute had it not been for a fine save from Fauldhouse goalkeeper Matthew Craig. Scott Glover’s free-kick was struck expertly up and over the defensive wall towards the bottom left hand corner but Craig reacted sharply to parry the effort. 

The tempo showed no signs of slowing and in the 12th minute Kyle Sampson broke with pace from a corner kick, beating three players before being halted by Finnie in the area. The referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Sampson brushed himself down to take the kick but Finnie read the effort, diving to his bottom left to hold the ball. 

Inspired by Finnie’s heroics, Rossvale continued in their search for an equaliser and almost had it in the 22nd minute. Thomson found space inside the penalty area but Harris Neilings produced an excellent last minute intervention to deny what surely would have been a certain goal. 

Rossvale mounted the pressure and a minute following, Conor McBrearty displayed excellent technique to control a hopeful ball into the box. The number nine then hooked an effort on to the top of the bar with his back to goal. 

Fauldhouse defended well as Rossvale pushed for an equaliser but it also took bravery from Craig to keep the opposition attack at bay. In the 33rd minute McLeod and Robbie Brown combined well. McLeod drove into the box from the right and provoked a reflex save from the Fauldhouse goalkeeper low to his left at the near post.  

Rossvale seemed to be in the ascendancy and a bit of misfortune seemed to prevent a leveller in the 35th minute. Winning a free-kick on the right side junction of the area, Rob Fowler whipped in a deep ball which was met by the head of Glover only to be blocked by his own player. 

Glover’s effort proved to be the final glaring opportunity of an exciting first half that witnessed a myriad of strong yet fair challenges. Fauldhouse perhaps left the field considering themselves fortunate to have protected their slender lead.

  • Half Time:
  • Fauldhouse United
  • 1-0
  • Rossvale FC

Rossvale kicked off the second half and immediately aimed to get forward in pursuit of an equaliser A speculative lobbed effort from midfield almost proved successful but Craig adjusted his footing well and reacted to tip the ball over the bar. 

In the second minute of the half, however, they would have their opportunity as Thomson danced into the box and was brought down by a late sliding challenge. Holland stepped up to take the penalty and was perhaps guilty of striking the ball too well as he aimed for the top right corner. The strike cannoned back off of the junction between the crossbar and post before the referee blew to award a Fauldhouse free-kick. 

Fauldhouse slowly regained a foothold in the game after a nervous start to the second half but Holland’s persistent trickery meant that the threat remained. It was McLeod, however, that was the next to come close for Rossvale in the 50th minute. Breaking clear, the forward drilled a half volley inches wide of the far left hand post from the right side of the box. 

Fauldhouse seemed content to absorb pressure and exploit opportunities to counter and they almost had the second goal they so desired in the 57th minute. Sampson was denied from the tightest of angles by the outstretched leg of Rossvale goalkeeper Finnie.

Alex Robertson sought to dictate the play and continued to show good vision in midfield for Fauldhouse but just couldn’t find the final execution with the slide rule ball. 

As the match entered the final ten minutes, a Rossvale free-kick from deep found John McCrae in space but he could only nod into the goalkeeper’s arms. The clock was winding down and Rossvale were forced to be more direct because of Fauldhouse’s compact shape. 

Robertson almost put the game beyond all doubt in the 78th minute as he demonstrated excellent footwork on the edge of the area but could only angle his effort wide of goal. 

Craig produced yet another great save to deny Luke Traynor in stoppage time. The lively substitute found himself on the end of a low cross at the backlist but Craig doubled his size to block his effort before clutching the resultant corner kick with confidence. 

It seemed all over for Rossvale but late drama ensued following a deep cross into the box from the right wing. Traynor once again found himself in space and directed a header home to secure the long-awaited leveller. Incredibly Rossvale had grasped the lifeline they needed to keep them in the tie at the last possible opportunity and the Semi-Final would have to be decided by extra time.

  • Full Time:
  • Fauldhouse United
  • 1-1
  • Rossvale FC
It was a cagey start to the first half of extra time with both sides being aware of what was at stake in the remaining twenty minutes.

Fauldhouse were the first to show signs of scoring when Elliot Ferrier skilfully turned Reiss Johnston but his cross just evaded the late run of target man Sampson.

The legs were tiring on both sides, resulting in a scrappy midfield battle at times but both Fauldhouse and Rossvale were showing heart and determination as they sought a winner.

In the final minute of the first half Rossvale would have the ball in the net following a goalmouth stramash but the referee blew his whistle for what appeared to be infringement on Fauldhouse goalkeeper Matthew Craig.

In the opening minute of the second half of extra time, Rossvale lit up proceedings with an urgency that was lacking in the half prior. Michael McLean threaded fellow substitute Kai McNaught through on goal but McNaught could only direct his effort over the bar.

In the 16th minute McBrearty played in Holland who surged towards the Fauldhouse goal before firing his effort over from twenty-five yards.

The momentum was with Rossvale and it was McLeod who epitomised composure in the 17th minute when his precise through ball was played perfectly into the path of his teammate. Calum Holland drilled a low shot beyond the goalkeeper at his near post to take Rossvale into the lead.

With minutes left on the clock both Holland and Traynor relieved the pressure on Rossvale by carrying the ball from deep into opposition territory.

Stoppage time seemed to go on for an age but this only suited Rossvale as in the fourth minute of added time, McLeod once again notched an assist as he released Traynor who nipped in to prod home from close range. Rossvale’s dramatic turnaround would see them secure a place in the Scottish Youth Football Association Cup Final.

Final Result: Fauldhouse United 1-3 Rossvale FC (AET)


Fauldhouse United
Rossvale FC
1. Matthew Craig
2. Liam Page
4. Jake Cameron
5. Rhys Bichett
6. Reece Thomson
7. Aidan Rodgers
8. Josh Sutherland
9. Ben McGee
10. Kyle Sampson
11. Elliot Ferrier
14. Alex Robertson
15. Harris Neilings
16. Craig Roney
17. Jack Martin
18. Dhee Myint
19. Jamie Stanaird
1. Pierce Finnie
2. Ryan Martin
3. Reiss Johnston
4. Scott Glover
5. John McCrae
6. Rob Fowler
7. Callum Holland
8. Robbie Brown
9. Conor McBrearty
10. Christopher McLeod
11. Sean Edwards
12. Michael McLean
14. Luke Traynor
15. Ronnie McLuskie
16. Keir Thomson
17. Kai McNaught
Star Player
Fauldhouse United
Rossvale FC
Kyle Sampson - He led the line well demonstrating both physical strength and deft touches to hold the ball up and bring others into play.
Luke Traynor - His capability in turning the game around after coming on as a substitute proved vital in helping Rossvale progress to the Final. A persistent threat with direct running and trickery, the player was good value for his two goals.
Magic Moment
Fauldhouse United
Rossvale FC
Stanaird's opener was a worthy goal to win any Semi-Final so it was unfortunate for him that it wouldn't mean more. The technique involved in finding the net from a dead ball situation at that sort of range was nothing short of remarkable.
Holland's low finish to put Rossvale in front showed incredible composure and character, considering the player was unlucky to miss from the spot previously.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments