Home My YFS

East End United victorious in dramatic Scottish Cup Final

Broxburn Athletic Colts 3

Gray 51’ Nimmo 60’ Henderson 87’

East End United 3

O’Donnell 33’ Williamson 46’ Hughes 79’ Anderson 91'
  • 3-4 After extra-time
  • Sunday, 10 May 2015
  • Airdrie Excelsior Stadium
  • Under 19´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup final
East End United ran out narrow winners in a thoroughly entertaining and dramatic SYFA Scottish Cup Final against Broxburn Athletic Colts at Airdrie’s Excelsior Stadium. The match was 3-3 at the end of regulation time and East End striker Bradley Anderson netted the winner in the first minute of extra time after lobbing the goalkeeper from the edge of the box.
Broxburn began the match on the front foot; striker Jonni Turner broke free from his marker and hit a low shot from just inside the box but the ball was well saved by Stewart Arkley in the East End goal.
Five minutes later, East End had their first chance; Reece Williamson was slipped through, the midfielder rounded the goalkeeper but his shot was blocked by the Broxburn defence and the ball was cleared on the line.
Almost instantly, Broxburn had an effort of their own cleared off the line; the ball was played in and Scott Lochrie rose above the defenders but, once again, the ball was cleared as it was on its way to goal.
Ten minutes before the end of the half, East End took the lead; following a very strong Broxburn penalty claim turned down by the referee, East End hit the Edinburgh side on the counter attack – the ball was played towards Regan Williamson who chested the ball down for his striker partner Andrew O’Donnell, the forward fired a volley into the top corner from just inside the area to put his side into the lead.
The referee then brought an end to a very entertaining first half of football – both teams were still very much in with a shout at the break.
  • Half Time:
  • Broxburn Athletic Colts
  • 0-1
  • East End United
The second half began with a bang and East End found themselves two goals to the good; a long, searching ball was played over the top to Reece Williamson who managed to take the ball down and coolly finish into the bottom left hand corner.
Broxburn were not going to lie down however and pulled a goal back five minutes later; after some good work from Ross Nimmo on the right, the winger played a low cross to the back post and substitute Kyle Gray was on hand to tap the ball into an empty net.
Broxburn managed to equalise around seven minutes later; Nimmo was brought down by East End goalkeeper Stewart Arkley and the referee awarded a penalty – Nimmo then stepped up and coolly slotted his penalty into the bottom corner, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way and drawing his side level.
Ten minutes from time East End regained the lead; a ball was launched into the box and found Cory Hughes unmarked who was able to direct his header into the bottom right hand corner.
A few minutes later, there was major drama in the match; Arkley came off worse in a strong challenge with a Broxburn striker and had to be taken off – East End had no substitute goalkeeper on the bench so Hughes stepped up and decided to become makeshift goalkeeper for the final ten minutes of the match.
A few minutes from time Broxburn equalised through Jamie Henderson; Lochrie skipped by his marker and played a ball to the front post, the striker was on hand to glance a header into the top corner – Hughes had no chance and it was an excellent finish by the striker.
The second half was then ended by the referee following a lengthy delay and the players would then have to go through another gruelling half an hour of cup final football.
  • Full Time:
  • Broxburn Athletic Colts
  • 3-3
  • East End United
The first half of extra time started in exactly the same fashion as the second half of regulation time; a long ball was hit over the top from kick off and Bradley Anderson was through on goal, the substitute then lobbed the rushing goalkeeper from the edge of the box and sent the Greenock faithful in the stand wild.

For most of extra time East End were camped on the edge of their box, Broxburn finally got a chance on goal however; following a nice 1-2 between Nimmo and Turner, Nimmo found a bit of space in the box and prodded a shot towards goal but makeshift goalkeeper Hughes managed to pull off a fantastic save and the ball was cleared by his defence.

East End began to drop deeper and soak up the pressure, Broxburn were unable to create one final chance and the Greenock side managed to secure the win to add the SYFA Scottish Cup final to their trophy cabinet.

Both teams deserve massive credit for putting on such a spectacle; it had all the makings of a spectacular Scottish Cup tie – congratu,br lations to East End United for their win.

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;

Final Result: 3-4 After extra-time


Broxburn Athletic Colts
East End United
1. Craig Livingstone
2. James McGregor
3. Marcus Millar
4. Ryan Lees
6. Leon Gopal
7. Ross Nimmo
8. Greg Snedden
9. Jamie Henderson
10. Scott Lochrie
11. Jonni Turner
12. Jordan Sweeney
14. Fraser Cormack
15. Kyle Gray
16. Kyle Butt
17. Lamin Touray
1. Stewart Arkley
2. Daniel Orr
3. Connor McIntyre
4. Jack Rafferty
5. Reece Williamson
6. Scott Rush
7. Luke McCowan
8. Cory Hughes
9. Regan Williamson
10. Kwami Antoine
11. Andrew O'Donnell
12. Paul Pettigrew
14. Gregor Black
15. Christopher Richmond
16. Lee Rodgers
17. Bradley Anderson
Star Player
Broxburn Athletic Colts
East End United
Jonni Turner - He was the focal point of the Broxburn attack throughout the match; despite dropping deeper towards the end of the match he was still excellent.
Reece Williamson - The midfielder was excellent throughout the match and held the midfield together – he also chipped in with a goal
Magic Moment
Broxburn Athletic Colts
East End United
The equalising goal was fantastic, Scott Lochrie’s excellent skill and Jamie Henderson’s header both deserve a mention.
It has to be the winning goal, an absolutely outstanding finish by Bradley Anderson and it really was a magic moment for the team
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments