Home My YFS
Thursday, 13 January 2011 23:22

Derby joy as Kilsyth overcome first hurdle

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Kilsyth Athletic 95s     2

Campsie Black Watch 95s  0

The long road to AirdrieÔÇÖs Excelsior Stadium started with a local derby for these teams. Both teams were disappointed to not play in the opening round due to both sets of opponents failing to appear.

Last yearÔÇÖs Scottish Cup finalists Kilsyth started the game in determined mood. They grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck from the first whistle and forced Campsie back. KilsythÔÇÖs early pressure resulted in a corner in the tenth minute to the home team which was met beautifully by Kelly who out jumped the defence and left the keeper stranded only to see the ball headed off the line. As the looped clearance came down it was met by Morrison with an over head kick which  had goal written all over it until a despairing dive from Gallagher in the Campsie goal saw him tip the ball over the bar.

On the quarter hour mark Holmes robbed CampsieÔÇÖs Nicol of the ball on the edge of his box and picked out a perfect pass to Forsyth on the half way line. Forsyth drove forward beating his marker and threaded an inch perfect pass to striker Ross who drove the ball into the bottom corner of the net to give Kilsyth a well deserved lead.

Kilsyth continued to control the game with Cunningham snubbing out the threat from CampsieÔÇÖs Dunlop and surging forward to join in the attack at every opportunity and linking well with Paterson on right wing. Kilsyth were aggrieved to have three strong appeals for penalties turned down by the referee in the first half when crosses from the flanks were blocked by the arm of defenders on each occasion. Punter at the heart of the Kilsyth midfield battled for every ball and linked well with McGuigan throughout the half but Kilsyth were unable to find that elusive second goal.  

On thirty five minutes Campsie managed to break through the solid Kilsyth defence and a strong shot was saved well by Whyte in the Kilsyth goal only to see the wet ball squirm free from his grasp and roll towards the empty goal. Whyte scrambled back and swiped the ball clear short of the goal line. The Campsie coaches protested that the ball had crossed the line leading to one of their number being sternly reprimanded by the referee for his protestations.

Campsie made a number of changes at half time, notably bringing burly McPhee on at centre forward with Dunlop being withdrawn. Despite the changes Kilsyth continued to have the best of the play and with only five minutes of the half played they were awarded a free kick some thirty yards out. Mulholland stepped up to take the free kick and unleashed a rocket like shot from his left foot which despite cannoning off the Campsie wall was still powerful enough to continue goalward and go in off the post giving the home team a two goal cushion.

Punter was shortly after taken off being replaced by McDonald who went out to the right wing with Paterson tucking inside. Campsie tried hard to get themselves back into the cup tie but every attack was snubbed out by the dominant Kilsyth back line. This led to some frustration with CampsieÔÇÖs McPhee arriving late in a number of challenges and the referee finally lost his patience with the striker and showed him a yellow card after an untidy lunge upended Paterson on the touch line.

With just over twenty minutes remaining it was good to see the Campsie club captain Haggerty being brought on at centre back, completing his recovery from a horrific hip injury suffered late last season. Cloggie came on for McGuigan and Ross was withdrawn for the pacy striker Reid. As the clock ticked down KilsythÔÇÖs influential right back Cunningham hobbled off injured being replaced by Waters who was soon in the thick of the action. Kilsyth continued to pass the ball about well and ran down the clock to seal a place in the third round with a convincing victory.

The coaching staff would like to thank supporter Roy Heeps for generously sponsoring the match ball for this game.

Kilsyth return to league action next Sunday looking to maintain their 100% league record with a trip to Gairdoch.

Last modified on Tuesday, 09 July 2013 17:39
Login to post comments