Home My YFS

Five star Burnhead see off Gairdoch United

Written by  Gairdoch United


Gairdoch United
Burnhead Colts
Under 15's C&KYFL
18 January 2015
A very well organised and confident Burnhead made the long trip to Alva today to meet the Gairdoch Boys in the early stages of the Knockout Cup,
A snow free Alva greeted both teams but it was the biting wind and freezing conditions that both teams ad to endure.
Burnhead colts started the game at a really high pace and got of to a flying start with two quick goals in the first ten minutes with their left winger causing all sorts of problems for Gairdoch down the right with some excellent run's and effort's on goal.
Gairdoch picked up their game with some strong tackling from Captain Dave, Nathan and Alan in particular, who were supported well by the two covering strikers Aiden and Adam whose tireless running back from the front helped keep Burnhead at bay.
The wind really picked up and Gairdoch couldn't quite match the excellent passing play being played by the Burhead midfield and many of our passes failed to reach our men.
Burnhead had set up with five boys in midfield and it always seemed to be that their midfield had a man extra whenever the ball reached midfield. The Gairdoch midfielders were set up as a four and ran tirelessly to combat this but Burnhead would break down their left again twice before the break and double their tally, taking the score to 4-0.
Half Time : Gairdoch United 0-4 Burnhead Colts
Gairdoch finally changed the midfield shape up to compete with the five in midfield and Matthew , Jim and Stephen were introduced at the expense of Lee Jamie and Adam at half time. This gave Gairdoch a better shape in the 2nd half and the boys matched Burnhead across the pitch in the key areas. 
Gairdoch created a couple of good chances in the second half with Aiden and a returning Adam showing good form and touches to break through on goal only to be denied by first the keeper and then the post.
The play was delayed for about ten minutes in the second half as a Burnhead player fell awkwardly on his knee and required treatment and was subsequently carried off with a severe knee injury. Everyone at Gairdoch wishes the player well in his recovery and we hope the injury is not as bad as we initially thought.
Play resumed with teams challenging for every ball but a wind assisted cross into the centre of the Gairdoch goal found their striker through on goal, where he calmly slotted the ball home.
The game finished 5-0 to an excellent Burnhead, and whilst heads were a bit down, there were plenty of positives from the second half performance or both the coaches and players to build on in training and take onto the next game.
Full Time : Gairdoch United 0-5 Burnhead Colts
The Burnhead goalscorers were Michael Sweeney, who grabbed himself a hat-trick, Declan Campbell and Ally Dewar also got themselves a goal each. 
Login to post comments