Home My YFS

Cumbernauld edge past Newmains to progress to next round

Written by 


Newmains Hammers
Cumbernauld United
U13's Central Region Cup, Round 1
02 November 2014
Round 1 of this years Central Region Cup saw Newmains Hammers host Cumbernauld United, on a wet & windy day, following a few days of heavy rain the pitch was soft underfoot. The referee however deemed the surface playable as both teams took to pitch to try and win a place in round 2.  
The game started brightly with both sides trying hard to keep the ball on the ground and play good passing football.
For the first 20 mins or so both had their chances to open their scoring however Cumbernauld were first to strike with a quickly worked goal to take the lead 1-0.  
After another even 10 min spell and just before half time a dangerous cross-field ball in to the box wasn't dealt with by the Cumbernauld rearguard, resulting in an equalizer for Newmains.  
Half time and 1-1 which on the balance of play was a fair result.
Half Time: Newmains Hammers 1-1 Cumbernauld United
At the start of the second half Cumbernauld took an early grip of the match and forced the game in to the Newmains half as they tried to re-take the lead.  
Newmains however soaked up the pressure well and managed to spring a few counter-attacks of their own to test Cumbernauld's resolve.  
At this point it looked like the next team to score would go on to win the match and so it proved to be the case.  
At the 20 minute mark Cumbernauld made the breakthrough with a well taken free-kick from the edge of the penalty area.  
The timing of this goal provided a boost for Cumbernauld as they pressed forward trying to find another goal to close out the match.  
After a sustained period of pressure Cumbernauld's 3rd arrived from another free-kick, this time flicked on in to the goal by one of the Cumbernauld forwards, wrong footing the Newmains keeper.
At this point and with around 5 minutes to go it looked like the game might be over however no one told this to Newmains who came roaring back in to the match.  
Credit must go to Newmains who refused to give up on the tie and were thwarted only by stoic defending from the Cumbernauld back 4 and keeper.  
With less than a minute to go Newmains did get their 2nd however it proved to be too late as the referee blew for time up.
Full Time: Newmains Hammers 2-3 Cumbernauld United
Login to post comments