Home My YFS

Comfortable win for Rossvale Thistle sees them through in league cup

Milton Blues 2

Rossvale Thistle 6

  • Saturday, 13 September 2014
  • Bannockburn
  • Under 17´s
  • Cumbernauld & Kilsyth DYL - League Cup

Ben Lester | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A strong second half performance saw Rossvale Thistle progress to the second round of the League cup after victory against Milton Blue. Four second half goals gave Thistle a 6-2 win after the score was tied 2-2 at half time.
Both teams went into the match having won their last game. Milton beat Alloa Saints 5-1 in their previous fixture, whilst Rossvale Thistle inflicted a heavy defeat on Gartcairn .
The match started at a frantic pace with both teams having half chances within the opening ten minutes. The first real opportunity fell to Milton four minutes in when Joe Tortolano headed narrowly wide.
Rossvale's first chance fell to Paul King who's looping header was easily caught by Milton goalkeeper Aidan McEwan. McEwan then saved from Jack Crumlish who had cut inside the fullback and shot from the edge of the area.
At this point it looked like Rossvale were starting to create more chances and it was not long before they took the lead. Paul King ran on to a long pass and beat the goalkeeper McEwan in a race to the ball. His shot looked to be heading past the post, however Ralston got to the ball and calmly finished past two defenders on the line.
The lead did not last that long however, as five minutes later, Milton drew level. Jordan Brown smashed a great volley past Callum O'Hagan after a good ball over the top.  
Rossvale had two good chances to retake the lead shortly after Milton's equaliser. A strong run and shot from Adam Martin was well saved by McEwan in the Milton goal. King swung in the resulting corner and Craven found space, however his header went just over the crossbar.
Since equalising, Milton had come into their game a bit more and it showed soon after. Good play down the right wing on 27 minutes resulted in a corner for Milton. The corner was swung in by Brown and was met by Hunter who had lost his man. His superb diving header found the top corner of the net and gave Milton a 2-1 lead.  
Martin nearly drew Rossvale level two minutes later following another good run. This time his trickery left him one on one with the goalkeeper, however his shot went wide.
However, Rossvale weren't to be denied their equaliser and ten minutes before half time they won a penalty. Craven stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way as he calmly slotted the ball in the bottom corner.
Shortly after drawing level, Rossvale had a chance to go ahead once more.  A ball over the top from Crumlish was met by King who's lobbed over the keeper also went over the crossbar.
The two teams went in level at half time, and this seemed to be an accurate reflection of the half. The play was scrappy with a lot of meaty challenges in the midfield and both defences done well not to concede too many clear cut chances to their opponents.
  • Half Time:
  • Milton Blues
  • 2-2
  • Rossvale Thistle
It wasn't long after half time that Rossvale did take the lead. Just 4 minutes of the second half had gone when King put Ralston through who beat the keeper with a neat finish at his near post.  
Three minutes later, Rossvale had scored their fourth. This time King provided his third assist of the match when he set up Craven to slot his second home from just outside the six yard box.
Only the post stopped Milton from reducing the deficit back to one a few minutes later. A good run and pass by Jack Hill set up Tortolano who's shot cracked the woodwork.
Milton were left to rue this missed chance just a minute later when Rossvale's lead was increased to three.  A quick counter attack saw Dunn get on the end of a low cross at the back post to slam a finish past the goalkeeper into the far corner.  
A couple of minutes afterwards, Rossvale confirmed their victory after scoring their sixth of the afternoon. Ralston's tidy finish secured his hat-trick and his team's place in the next round of the cup.
Milton did have a great chance to pull a goal back towards the end of the game when they hit the bar. Hill was first to react to a loose ball from a corner and his flicked effort towards the top corner looked set to go in, however O'Hagan pulled off a fantastic reaction save to tip the ball onto the crossbar.  
The game petered out after this with neither side really creating much of a chance.  After going in at half time level either side could have went on to win this cup tie and Rossvale Thistle will certainly be delighted with their strong second half display that saw them run out 6-2 winners and progress to the next round.
  • Full Time:
  • Milton Blues
  • 2-6
  • Rossvale Thistle


Milton Blues
Rossvale Thistle
1. Aidan Mcewan
2. Marc Rodger
3. Robbie Sneddon
4. Ewen MacDonald
5. James Harvey
6. Lewis Greener
7. Jordan Brown
8. Scott Duncan
9. Edward McKenna
10. Jack Hill
11. Craig Hunter
14. Adam Beirne
16. Aiden Hill
17. Joe Tortolano
18. Callum Rodgers
19. Joseph McLaren
21. Cameron Ayers
1. Callum O'Hagan
2. Kieran Alison
3. Glodi Kalukenda
4. Kieran Craven
5. Alan Dunsmore
6. Ryan Flanagany
7. Jack Crumlish
8. Richard Dunn
9. Adam Martin
10. Paul King
11. Cameron Ralston
12. Jack Law
14. Frazer Kennedy
15. Brad Nicklin
16. Craig Cassidy
17. Loic Lombato
Star Player
Milton Blues
Rossvale Thistle
Jack Hill - Created a couple of opportunities for his side and would have grabbed a goal if it wasn't for O'Hagan's great save.
Paul King - A difficult choice between a hat-trick of assists or a hat-trick of goals. King edges it though on this occasion. Without his creativity Rossvale wouldn't have won this one.
Magic Moment
Milton Blues
Rossvale Thistle
Craig Hunter's diving header to give Milton the 2-1 lead. A great finish and a great moment for Milton.
The whole second half was excellent for Rossvale, but the third goal for them was crucial. The combination of King and Ralston also proving vital once more.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments