Home My YFS

Falkirk Athletic ease past Sauchie Juniors to Lady Darling Cup glory

Written by  Falkirk Athletic FC


Falkirk Athletic FC
Sauchi Juniors FC
Under-21 Lady Darling Cup
28 May 2014
Falkirk Athletic ended 3 fantastic years playing in the West Of Scotland U21 League after completing 2 trebles while playing in the Forth Valley U19 league in the 2years previous , when moving upto U21 level manager Brian Penman wanted his side to be tested at the highest level and that was playing in the West of Scotland where there challenge to win anything would be harder . 
In the first season a young Falkirk side got promotion out of the bottom league and also made the semi final of the Scottish Cup beating the much fancied Bonnyrigg Rose in the 1/4 final before losing to a more experienced Harmony Row . Last season Falkirk in a higher division went on to win the league and promotion and the 2 domestic cups that were Available to complete a fantastic treble . This season and after losing there prolific striker Zander Miller to Bo'ness Juniors Falkirk still went on to lift a National Trophy ironically beating Bonnyrigg Rose in the Semi Final . 
The final took place at Stenhousemuir FCs park against a Sauchie side who the week before had won there league . Brian Penman for possibly the first time this season had a full squad to pick from , even Ross Mcinnes who had broke his leg in a preseason competition , this was his first time back involved with the group. 
Falkirk started the match very well with Rohan Hamilton and Scott Blair showing there intent in the first few minutes going in and winning tackles and coming away with the ball , this set the tone for the rest of the game against good opponents who had come into the game full of confidence .
 The first chance fell to Jason Walton after fine build up play from Martin Russell and Connor McCourt but his shot from 20 yards just fell the wrong side of the post. Walton then put McCourt through but he just lost control at the last minute.
Anything sauchie had to offer in the first half was from set pieces which Goalkeeper James Penman and his back four Craigy Stewart , Jamie Arbuckle , Captain Jo Gray and Mathew Johnstone handled everything they had to offer.
Falkirk should have taken the lead 10 mins before half time when Craig Irvine who has not played many games this season due to working most Saturdays burst through from midfield and as the keeper came out he slipped the ball left to Marton Russell who knocked the ball into the empty net, as Falkirk celebrated these were cut short as the linesman for some strange reason put his flag up for offside to everyone's amazement in the stadium. 
Sauchies relief was only delayed as with half time approaching Jamie Arbuckle sent a terrific looping header over the keeper and into the net from a terrific Jason Walton free kick . 
Half Time: Falkirk Athletic 1-0 Sauchie Juniors 
The second half went the same way as the first with Falkirk dominating every area of the park and creating chances.
Twenty minutes into the second period Falkirk made it 2-0 fine play down the right by McCourt who sent a teasing ball into the box where it was met by the brave Martin Russell who scored with a fine diving header.
 Sauchie made a tactical switch trying to get back into the match but only once breached the strong Falkirk back line but James Penman dived to his left to touch the ball round the post for a corner which was well defended.
 With Sauchie pushing men forward they were leaving themselves open to the counter attack and this resulted in goal number three. Fine play in middle of the park by Hamilton and Blair and then Walton gave Russell to score his second and he duly obliged.
Falkirk then sent on fresh legs with Craig Morrison , Kevin Clarke , David Watson and Christopher Jess coming on. With 5 minutes remaining Watson took a pass from Morrison who then gave a delightful ball to the skillful Clarke who beat a couple of players before finding Jess who fizzed he ball past the helpless keeper to make it four. 
The only thing left that was important was for Falkirk to keep a clean sheet and this was done in the dying seconds when keeper James Penman produced a superb reflex save to stop sauchie getting a consolation goal . With seconds to go Falkirk sent on Ross Mcinnes to cheers from all the Falkirk support and it was appropriate he made the final pass before the referee blew for full time 
Full Time: Falkirk Athletic 4-0 Sauchie Juniors
Login to post comments