Home My YFS

First half flurry of goals seals double success for Jerviston

EK Burgh United 1

Sloan 65

Jerviston BC 5

Higgins 3,34, Marshall 10,12, Bell 35
  • Saturday, 24 May 2014
  • John Cumming Stadium
  • Under 13´s
  • Albert Brown Memorial Cup - Final

Andrew Watson | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

On a huge day of football across Europe, the eyes of Lanarkshire were focussed firmly on Carluke’s John Cumming Stadium, as the region’s finest met in the LFDA Cup Finals. With the SYFA Challenge Cup finals to come later in the day, along with the small matter of play-off and Champions League finals, EK Burgh United and Jerviston kicked off the days’ cup final action in front of a healthy crowd in the main stand.
The recently renamed Albert Brown memorial cup final, in tribute to a key figure in Lanarkshire’s youth football picture, would take place between double chasing Jerviston and EK Burgh United. Both sides enjoyed goal-laden runs to the showpiece, with EK’s run including a 9-0 win over local rivals Calderglen, as well as handsome wins over Clyde Valley and Aston Villa, before an impressive 2-1 semi-final victory over high-flying Larkhall United.
Jerviston, who had already sealed the league title in a season which saw only one league defeat, saw off Blantyre Yellow, Mossend and Blantyre BC in close, high scoring encounters, before a narrow 1-0 last four win over league runners-up Wishaw Wycombe.
With the previous meeting of the two teams finishing 5-3 in Jerviston’s favour, the final was tough to call before kick-off, with both sides clearly fired up as they emerged from the dressing rooms to loud applause and cheers from the supporters who filled the stand.
The road to the final promised goals and within three minutes of kick off, Jerviston delivered the first of the morning. Matthew Sinclair disposed EK’s Jordan Mime on the half way line, and quickly threaded a through ball towards Kian Marshall. Despite suspicions of offside, the striker ran through on goal unopposed, but his effort from 12 yards was denied by a fine save at his near post by Matthew Todd. However, from the resulting corner, Eamonn Higgins lashed home at the second attempt after his initial effort was superbly cleared off the line by Alex Fish.
The early drama continued as Jerviston looked to build on their lead and an excellent move involving Jerviston’s Kieran Lawson, Marshall and Sinclair led to the latter firing towards goal from the right hand side of the area. Another fine save by Todd took the sting out of the shot, but the ball looped over the keeper’s head and seemed destined for the back of the net. However, as Marshall closed in, Mime did very well to hook the ball off the line despite the claims for a goal from the Jerviston supporters.
The combination of pace and power in the league champions’ attack caused havoc for EK as they struggled to get a foothold on the game, and despite Sinclair again being thwarted by Todd after nine minutes, Jerviston wouldn’t have to wait long to double their advantage.
This time, Todd could do nothing to stop Marshall, as he picked up possession on the left hand side of the penalty area, skipped inside away from the challenges of two defenders, and unleashed a fierce strike from 20 yards which smacked a post on its way to the back of the net, with only ten minutes on the clock.
EK Burgh were shocked again less than two minutes later when Jerviston completed a dream start to the cup final thanks to another magnificent goal by Marshall. Running onto a high through ball, the striker delicately lifted the bouncing pass over the advancing Todd with his instep, as Jerviston raced into a three goal lead with less than a quarter of an hour played.
The game became a midfield battle as the first half progressed, but just as it seemed like EK were beginning to work their way back into the final, two quick-fire Jerviston goals of the highest quality on the stroke of half time meant they went into the break with a commanding lead.
Firstly, after picking up the ball at least 25 yards from goal, Higgins took a touch to set himself and rifled an unstoppable drive into the bottom corner to add his second goal of a superb first half for him personally.
Then, captain Dean Bell, who dictated the pace of the play from his central midfield position, got the goal his first half display deserved when he rounded off a superb flowing move involving chief tormentors of the EK defence, Marshall and Sinclair, with a fine composed finish with the outside of his boot.
  • Half Time:
  • EK Burgh United
  • 0-5
  • Jerviston BC
The second half began in a similar vein, with Robbie Duddy looking to assert himself on the game up front. His first effort, from a free kick, but his second shot shortly afterwards deserved a goal. After showing instant control, he executed a technically brilliant dipping half-volley, which was the width of a crossbar away from adding yet another outstanding strike to the scoreline.
EK deserve great credit for continuing to play very good football, playing the easy ball at every opportunity, and piecing together some intricate moves, which led to some trouble for the Jerviston defence.
First, Calum Whittingham’s free kick from the right landed on top of the net, but looked to shave some paint from the crossbar with David Marshall in goal beaten, then shortly afterwards, Marshall displayed assured handling to ensure a teasing cross into the six-yard area from Ben Lamb’s position on the left would not reach Whittingham, who was lurking at the back post.
As the game entered the final 15 minutes, EK continued to cause some problems for the defence, with Whittingham a constant threat, and Samuel Herd joining in some menacing attacks from the left wing.
As EK attacked however, they left themselves vulnerable to a counter attack from Jerviston, but the defence, marshalled by the excellent Mime and Adam Wilson stood firm and well organised against the pace and trickery of Duddy.
With five minutes remaining, EK got the goal that was richly deserved based on their second half performance, when Kieran Sloan attacked the near post from a right-wing corner to send a superb glancing header past Marshall.
Though it would turn out to be no more than a consolation, it did go some way to showing that the 5-1 scoreline wasn’t a true reflection of the match. Jerviston ran out worthy and deserved winners, and each of their five goals were individually worthy of being the winner in any cup final. The Motherwell club showed exactly why they are the double winners however, as their ability to score at key times in matches – in particular on the stroke of half time – is a valuable asset.
EK Burgh were superb in the second half, not letting their heads go down or lose confidence, and the fact that they continued to play attractive, flowing football drew deserved credit from both sets of supporters in the stand at the John Cumming Stadium.
As Jerviston skipper Dean Bell lifted the Albert Brown Memorial Cup high to spark jubilant celebration, he ended a season from which both sides emerge with great credit, having reached a cup final in their first ever season at 11-a-side football.
  • Full Time:
  • EK Burgh United
  • 1-5
  • Jerviston BC


EK Burgh United
Jerviston BC

Luke McNeill
Adam Wilson
Sam Sprott
Jordan Mime
Kieran Sloan
Calum Whittingham
Ben Lamb
Craig Mullin
Keigan Taylor-McCann
Matthew Todd
Murray McCloy
Samuel Herd
Steven Addison
Alex Fish
Kai Gallagher
Jamie Terbit

25. David Marshall 
2. Dylan Brannan
6. Kieran Lawson
8. Matthew Sinclair
10. Ryan Mimnaugh
11. Mitchell Clark
13. Reece Cathcart
14. Jay O'Neill
15. Andrew Gallacher
16. Eamonn Higgins
19.Harry Gardner
20. Dean Bell
22. Luke Higgins
23. Kian Marshall
29. Robbie Duddy

Star Player
EK Burgh United
Jerviston BC
Calum Whittingham was at the heart of EK's excellent second half display, dictating his side's counter attacks from his playmaking position between midfield and attack.
Captain Dean Bell was the driving force behind his team's sensational first half storm, and scored a fine goal to round off a fine performance.
Magic Moment
EK Burgh United
Jerviston BC
Kieran Sloan's excellent header which sealed the goal that EK's second half display deserved.
Any one of the five goals, but the fifth was a "total football" team goal, with intricate passing, quick movement, and a superb finish by Bell.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments