Home My YFS

Colts clinch league title with victory over Syngenta

Written by 


Cumbernauld Colts
Syngenta Juveniles
U16 Cumbernauld & Kilsyth DYL - League A
14 May 2014
Cumbernauld Colts celebrated winning the Under 16 league after being made to work hard for it by Syngenta. Colts were first to show their hand in a very tense and nervy first half which saw both teams cancel each other out on most attacks with no real fluency to both teams play.
The very first chance of the first half fell to Colts striker Cammy McKay but his shot blazed high over. Early on in the half Connor McAteer must have been relieved to stay on the park as he retaliated to a tackle on him which should have been a red card if the referee had saw it.
Nerves added with frustration were visible in the home side's play as Syngenta never allowed them to dictate play. At the same time, the visitors were trying to get ahead in the game. Colts strikers McKay and McAteer combined well to see a cross fire across goal, which Gregor Gywnne hit back off the post. Syngenta quickly replied themselves with an attack which was flashed across the six yard line with no takers to finish off their move.
Too many passes were going astray by both teams, who were scrapping it out to gain an advantage. Cumbernauld's best passing move of the first half led to McAteer being brought down on the edge of the box but the free kick never produced any quality. 
Half Time: Cumbernauld Colts 0-0 Syngenta Juveniles
After a half time rollicking the home side came out a different side. They were straight on the front foot pressing for the lead and were rewarded for their patience when Cammy McKay rolled in Sam Rodger who sidestepped two defenders kept a cool head to shoot back across the diving keeper to score against his former team.
That gave the home side the impetus to attack their opponents at every oppurtunity and Jordan Pirrie set up a chance for Kieron Struthers to shoot just over. Colts sensed they were getting the upper hand in the second half and duly went 2-0 ahead when Connor McAteer swept a shot across the onrushing goalie to find the back of the net.
Syngenta tried to respond on the counter attack but were being limited as the home side were seeing most of the ball. The away side won a couple if corners that didn't come to anything, then their best chance came after a good strike hit the target from the edge of the box.
Mickey McGarahan nearly made it 3-0 for colts after his header flashed just over from a free kick.
Syngenta should have got themselves a goal back but their striker sliced it wide to let the home defence off the hook.
Struthers then set up McAteer who watched as his shot fell onto the roof of the net. Cumbernauld did go 3-0 ahead after along clearance from goalie Ewan Walker went over everyone and Cammy McKay ran onto it and cooly lobbed the ball over the advancing Syngenta keeper.
McAteer could have scored his second but wasted the chance when his control let him down. The latter stages of the game saw the home side dominate and show good ball retention and were rewarded after a good passing move saw Pirrie play in McKay who squared it for Mcateer to fire his team into a well deserved 4-0 lead.
It was nearly 5 when after breaking up a Syngenta attack the away players could only watch as a Mcateer shot came back off the post. One or two chances went astray as Cumbernauld welcomed the final whistle to start their title celebrations 
Full Time: Cumbernauld Colts 4-0 Syngenta Juveniles
Login to post comments