Home My YFS

Grahamston fend off Grangemouth to reach semis

Written by 


Grahamston BC
Grangemouth BC
Under-14  FVFDA
13 May 2014
After the disappointment of our mid week defeat against Wasps, Grahamston took the field against a massively improved Grangemouth team knowing a victory would see us face either Milton or Stenhousemuir in the semi final next week. In the pre match warm up the boys definitely looked well up for the game and with the tactical genius on Coach Sandy Meek in tinkering with our usual 3-5-2 shape we started in a 4-1-4-1 formation. As the game kicked off we certainly looked very comfortable with the new shape which allowed our 2 wings backs to push on creating a lot more width in the game than we have been doing lately.
We had the majority of the play in the first half but at times you could definitely see that Grangemouth have improved dramatically. We should have possibly taken the lead earlier than we did when Jae Convery cut across the defender only to see his shot go narrowly wide of the far post. 
Big Precious our captain also had a great opportunity to give us the lead as he weaved his magic through the Grangemouth defence again he was also very unlucky to see his shot pushed round the post by the Grangemouth keeper. Grangemouth at times did try to press our goal but they were unable to get around our defence wall which today stood completely solid. As the half drew to close we managed to get a goal to settle us. It came through Blair Hastings sheer determination to push at the back post benefiting from a mistake between the keeper and the centre half to easily convert and put us 1-0 up at half time.
The boys had certainly risen to the occasion today and to be perfectly honest had played some of the best controlled football we have done in sometime. Although the score was only 1-0 we seemed confident enough that with our style of play that more goals would come our way in the second half and again the supporters and coaches on the sidelines we were not to be disappointed. We made one change with Robbie Connolly replacing Jack Vanderster. Jack had given us a great half performance showing that his ballet lessons on composed footwork are paying off.
Half Time: Grahamston BC 1-0 Grangemouth BC
As the second half began we again pushed on both flanks but within 2 minutes had to make a further change with Alister Macdonald replacing the injured Derrick Hunter after his triple salchow and double pike landing after a late challenge from the Grangemouth nos 3. Ali came on and took the free kick, as the ball entered the box Dean Muir aka "The Smiler" connected and managed to find the back post giving the goal keeper no chance. 2-0.
As the game continued Grangemouth got a goal back from a very soft free kick at the edge of the box. The nos 7 hit it well and as it came over the wall it landed in the roof of the net 2-1.
We made 3 further changes with Robbie Dalziel, Jamie Millar and Mathew Goldie replacing Rhys Campbell. Steven Dunseath and Jae Convery. Almost immediately these changes had an affect with the pace of Robbie D on the right, Jamie finding his range of passing on the left and Mathew’s grit and determination in the middle of the field. The game continued to be played in the Grangemouth half of the field we managed to add to our lead. The ball had been played wide to Blair on the left and as he cut in on his right he unleashed a powerful looping shot toward the goal only to see it ricochet of the goal keepers back post but as RD gambled and with his anticipation he managed to sneak around the defender and easily convert to make it 3-1.
Grangemouth continued to try and play football to their credit but with 5 minutes to go the game was put to bed when The Precious one made it 4 -1 with a lashing shoot from the edge of the box after some great work by Mathew Goldie.
Full Time: Grahamston BC 4-1 Grangemouth BC
Login to post comments