Home My YFS

Milton fight back for a draw against Riverside

Written by 


Riverside Blue
Milton Red
Under-17 WLAYFC
Haw's Park
03 May 2014
On Saturday 3rd May Milton Reds 98’s under 16’s played their seventeenth League fixture of the season, away to Riverside Blue. This was a crucial match for Milton as they are currently in third place in this year’s championship in a three way tussle with Milan and Riverside Reds who are in first and second spot respectively. Although Riverside Blue are adrift in fourth position, their recent form has been such that they will have an influence on the eventual winners of this year’s title as they have still to play each of the top contenders.
The match was played on the Haw’s park in Bridge of Allan. Both teams had to play stand in goal keepers as their normal keepers were both unavailable due to holidays and work commitments. 
Riverside pressed forward right from the kick-off and put Milton under early pressure with long balls up to their centre forward Danae Fitzpatrick but the Milton defence were solid in the early exchanges. 
The first opportunity of the match came in the 7th minute as, after quick attack down the Riverside right, Brian Donald cut inside on to his favoured left foot and struck a great shot which eluded Milton keeper Callum Brown and hit the back of the net to open the scoring for the home side. 
Milton’s reply was quick when in the 10th minute midfielder Simon White headed home from a Jake Hurry corner. 
Milton gradually gained more possession as the game wore on but in the 20th minute Riverside then retook the lead. A free kick from the half way line by Riverside’s Jamie Bell was hit high into the Milton goal area and a defender misjudging his jump and missing his attempt to clear, the ball bounced passed the stranded keeper into to the Milton net.
 Milton then increased the tempo of their game and put the home side under pressure as they battled for the equaliser. Milton’s Ross Leary was unlucky when he shot home but was denied by an offside decision.  The half time break came with Riverside two one ahead.
Half Time: Riverside Blue 2-1 Milton Red
Milton introduced substitute Greig Ballantyne at the half time break and Hamish McIntyre replaced Brown in goal with Brown being restored to his usual position up front. 
Milton soon settled to the changes and pressed forward winning a series of corners but still not the goal they felt their play merited
 Milton created a number of openings with Valentine, Leary and Brown all coming close. Milton then went to three at the back as they pushed another player forward to increase the pressure on the home goal. In the 18th minute the equaliser came when Valentine finally fired home from another Milton corner. 
Milton were well on top as the game wore on. Milton’s Leary was again denied as he fired in a shot and Riverside keeper Lambie failed to hold and the ball was clearly over the line before being pulled back but the absence of a linesman and the positioning of the referee meant that the referee could not determine whether the whole ball had crossed the line therefore play was waved on.
 In the final minutes Milton’s Brown raced in to head at the back post but his effort went narrowly past. Riverside were warned for time wasting as they hung on to deny Milton’s effort to win the three points but eventually the referee brought the match to an end and Milton had to settle for a draw and a share of the points.
 When the final whistle blew, both teams of players and coaches congratulated each other on their efforts in the keenly contested match.
Milton Reds next opponents will be league leaders Milan B C in a home league match. 
Full Time: Riverside Blue 2-2 Milton Red
Login to post comments