Home My YFS

Exciting cup game see Blantyre defeat Milton on Penalties

Written by 


Milton Rovers
Blantrye BC
Under-14 LFDA Cup
06 April 2014
It was cup weekend and an away trip to Carluke for Blantyre. The weather is rarely kind at the John Cumming stadium and this was no exception, with the wind howling for the full game which caused constant problems for the teams. 

The game kicked off with the wind behind Milton and they pushed forward and were 1-0 up after 5 minutes when a shot was driven in from 25 yards which gathered pace with the wind; the ball rebounded out from Keiran and their striker was first to react and fired home from 12 yards. The pressure kept coming and minutes later Keiran had to be on his toes to save well. Milton were making the most of the wind and bombarding Blantyre's goal. Blantyre were struggling to get the ball past the half way line and Milton were first to every ball. Then on 17 minutes Milton went 2-0 up with the wind a key factor. A free kick over 30 yards out was well hit but with the wind it flew like a bullet and straight into the top corner - no chance for Keiran here!

Minutes later and Keiran again had to be sharp to block another shot. It was all one way traffic and Blantyre were struggling big time. It took 30 minutes before Blantyre had their first real attack with Nathyn breaking
forward and passing to Chrissy who moved the ball onto Jamie, but Milton blocked the chance outside the box, without the keeper getting his hands warmed. Milton kept pushing forward and another 30 yard free kick was fired in but went over the bar. Referee blew for half time and a welcome break. 2-0 down but could easily have been double.
Half Time: Milton Rovers 2 - 0 Blantyre Boys Club
With the wind behind Blantyre, there was some hope that they could turn the game around, but a big improvement would be required. Instead, the cup dream almost ended after 5 minutes as the defence failed to pick up all the Milton strikers and the ball was fired past Keiran. 3-0 Milton 

Perhaps Blantyre had to hit rock bottom before they could move forward.

10 minutes in and Jamie picked up the ball and moved forward, releasing a shot from 18 yards but it flew over. Within minutes Blantyre had another chance as Callum found Nathyn who worked hard driving by several players and setting up Jamie. Whilst he was blocked this was better link up play and more like Blantyre. Then the come back started on 20 minutes. Nathyn was around 20 yards out with his back towards goal when the ball came to him and he spun round and fired a shot towards goal (our first direct shot on target after 55 minutes play). The shot was well placed, beyond the keepers reach and into the bottom right corner of the net. GOAL!!! 3-1 down but was there more to come?

Blantyre were getting back into the game and starting to pass the ball around, but the wind was difficult, as any long ball simply ran right out the park. With 15 minutes left, could Blantyre get 2 goals back to get
extra time? It looked like a big ask. 

BUT, 3 minutes later on 23 minutes, Nathyn picked up the ball some 30 yards out and pushed forward and unleashed a drive from 25 yards which went right into the corner of the net. Great goal and the score back to 3-2, with 12 minutes to go. Was there enough time left?

Just as the tide had moved Blantyre's way, Milton pushed forward and Keiran pulled off a strong diving save to his right. The warning was there not to give Milton any space.

 Blantyre were pushing forward and were winning several throw ins. Callum was launching these into the box and hitting the 6 yard box - it just needed the right touch. Who could step up for Blantyre? With 5 minutes to go, up stepped Dec to challenge for the ball following a Callum throw in. The keeper couldn't hold it and Dec followed in to fire it home. 3-3 and 5 minutes to go - was there a winner????
On the last minute Chrissy hit a shot on the turn, but it went just over the bar...
Full Time: Milton Rovers 3 - 3 Blantyre Boys Club
Blantyre kicked off the first half of extra time with the wind behind them. Within minutes Blantyre continued where they left off and Chrissy fired home to put Blantyre ahead for the first time in the game. It felt Blantyre
needed more than a 1 goal lead, but they were out of luck with Nathyn going close from 25 yards, then the referee not giving a foul when Chrissy was pulled down just outside the box. At the other end Jake had to make a great last minute tackle to keep Blantyre in the lead. Half time of extra time. Milton Rovers 3 - 4 Blantyre Boys Club
Second half kicked off and some backs to the wall defending as Milton had the wind behind them. Harder working by the whole team now as the desire was there to get through to the cup semi final draw. Unfortunately the defence was breached after a fierce shot came off Keiran and bounced off Lewis and into the net - nothing he could have done about that one.
 Full Time (aet): Milton Rovers 4 - 4 Blantyre Boys Club
Penalties go right up to the last kick of the 5 for Blantyre. With the score at 4-4, the final kick would win the game and it did. This result sends blantyre through to the Semis.
Full Time:  Milton Rovers 4 - 4 Blantyre Boys Club - Blantyre win 5-4 on penalties.
Login to post comments