Home My YFS

Second round victory for EKFC Gold in LFDA Cup

Written by 


U14's Lanarkshire FDA Cup - Second Round
24 March 2014
This week was a second round cup tie against Larkhall and after two draws in the league and our improving performances hopes were high that we could get a result. It was a glorious morning with bright sun and no wind, ideal conditions for a good football match.
We started strongly and shortly after the start Jack Little was though and tried to lob the goalkeeper but he reacted well and managed to tip the ball with his fingertips and collect it at the second attempt.  
We pushed forward again and Kyle Caigbroke free on the right to fire a ball into towards the Larkhall goal and Euan Aitken nipped in to flick it past the keeper to make it 1-0.  
Then shortly after Jack Little set up Euan Aitken but this time his shot was well saved by the keeper. Larkhall broke forward and Callum Grassom intervened to shield the ball for Ben Macalister to collect. 
Ross McGurk and Jack McKenna combined well shortly after to play Euan Aitken through and his cut back was shot past the post by Jack Little, before a shot from Jack McKenna was well held by the keeper.  
Larkhall broke again on the wing but the cut back was blocked by Ben Macalister for a corner. The corner was cleared quickly and we broke quickly with CJ and Jack McKenna playing a 1-2 before releasing Euan Aitken who broke forward on the left and fired a shot across goal heading for the far post and with Kyle Caig rushing in a Larkhall defender tried to cut out the ball only to help it into the net.  
A few minutes later the ball broke from a Ross McGurk corner to CJ who set up Jack Little who this time managed to lob the ball over the onrushing Larkhall keeper for our third goal.  
Callum Grassom cleared the next Larkhall attack and set up Jack McKenna whose shot was blocked for a corner. The ball broke to Callum Henry and his fierce shot was well taken by the Larkhall keeper to end the half with us three up.
Half Time: EKFC Gold 3-0 Larkhall
Larkhall started the second half and from the kick off the ball cleared from the defence went to Euan Aitken on his ownwith no support in the middle of the park. He managed to hold up the ball and then broke free from the four players around him before firing a long ball to release Kyle Caig who ran though and beat the Larkhall keeper for our fourth goal.  
We finished the half with a lateflourish and our next attack led to Euan Aitken being brought down just outside the box. Jack Little’s freekick was tipped past the post by the Larkhall keeper at full stretch.  
Breaking forward again Euan Aitken was holding the ball up just outside the box when he was bundled over and his freekick was just pushed wide by the Larkhall keeper. The corner broke to Callum Henry and his lobbed shot was just kept out by the Larkhall keeper running back and a fingertip save on the line kept the ball out.
Full Time: EKFC Gold 4-0 Larkhall
This was a game which we had most of the pressure and dominated large spells of the match and could easily have scored more goals, except for an excellent performance from the Larkhall keeper.
Larkhall also showed they were dangerous on the break and Ben Macalister remained focused throughout the match dealing with the Larkhall attacks. Our defence continued their good record and it is now about 300 minutes since we conceded a goal.
Man of the Match: Ben Macallister
Login to post comments