Home My YFS

Blantyre BC through in LFDA Cup

Written by 


Blantyre BC
EK Burgh
U14's LFDA Cup
17 March 2014
After last weeks win at Larkhall, this week brought 2nd round cup duty against EK Burgh. After some tactical mischief from the coaches suggesting the days of 5-3-2 were over, the team was sent out in 5-3-2. The weather was not great for a good game of football with a really strong wind which Blantyre were playing against in the first half. 
As would be expected EK Burgh pushed forward and managed to get 2 corners within the first few minutes. Blantyre defended but the team were struggling to clear their lines towards the half way line. The ball kept coming back. Hard work for the Jake, Dec, Callum, Lewis and Rhys but the midfield were doing their best to hold EK Burgh far enough away from Liam's goal. 
There were a few half chances, but it was 15 minutes before a direct shot on Liam's goal via a 25 yard free kick; but it sailed over the bar. 
It was almost 20 minutes before Blantyre got a real chance and it came after Nathyn was brought down some 20 yards out after a strong run from the half way line. Kai floated a tempting ball to the back post which Callum got his head to, but not enough power and the keeper saved. 
This however gave Blantyre confidence and Nathyn was being brought more into the game and driving forward. Within minutes Nathyn was again brought down. Kai stepped up for a crack from 25 yards but it flew over the bar.
Blantyre were pushing hard and Rian, Declan and Kai were becoming more commanding in the middle of the park with the defence holding firm.  
The break through came in 31 minutes. Nathyn got the ball and created space for himself and fired in a strong shot which the keeper could only parry to his left. Chrissy stepped forward and calmly slotted the ball home.
Blantyre Just before half time, Kai played Nathyn through and he drove forward towards the box. 25 yards out straight in front of goal and the last defender brought him down - the referee decided worthy of a yellow card, on another day it could have been red. 
Half time: Blantyre 1-0 EK Burgh 
Second half and Jamie, Jamie D and Jack on for Declan, Chrissy and Rhys. Change of shape too moving to a 4-4-2. The wind was behind Blantyre so high expectation that the bulk of play would be in the EK Burgh half.  
Within minutes Blantyre won a corner as Callum, Jack and Nathyn combined well. Rian fired over the corner but it flew over everyone and out for a throw in on the far side - Rian must have eaten 3 weetabix instead of 2 for breakfast this week!
Blantyre kept pushing forward but EK Burgh were not sitting back and Liam had to be alert and dived to his left to save a curling shot which was just going in at the back post. 
9 minutes in and it was game back on, as EK Burgh got break of the ball and scored the equaliser. 
Blantyre were still pushing forward and Rian was next to have a shot from 25 yards which was well held by the keeper. The boys were working hard and snapping at the heels of everyone - Jake was setting the example not giving anyone a second. Jack and Kai combined well and the ball was booted over the fence - Gerry looked anxious incase the match ball didn't come back. 
Following the corner, the replacement ball also went over the fence. New balls please, as they say at Wimbledon.
20 minutes gone and Liam was brought back into action, making a save with the ball flying towards the top corner. Safe pair of hands here.  EK. kept pushing forward and Lewis did some fine tracking back to block another attack.
Rian then set up Jack at the back post. After taking a touch he tried to turn the ball back across goal but the keeper was wise to it.  
25 minutes gone and Callum took a long throw from the left and found Jack. Good control and lay off to Nathyn who set himself up and rifled a shot home from 20 yards. Great goal and put Blantyre back in the lead. 
Blantyre kept pushing forward and it didn't take long till it was 3-1 as Kai took control of the ball some 30 yards out and pushed the ball over to Nathyn. Still 25 yards out, but full of confidence from his earlier goal, Nathyn steadied himself and fired a shot towards goal. The ball took a deflection off an EK player and flew into the top corner. Brilliant goal. 
EK were still fighting and Liam was again called into action when the ball was heading to the top corner. Liam jumped high and brought the ball down. An EK player came in late but Liam kept focused and held onto the ball. 
With less than a minute to go, EK got a second goal. 3-2 with less than a minute left and it was all too late for EK.
Full time: Blantyre 3-2 EK Burgh 
A tough match for Blantyre but a fantastic result. Hard work needed here, especially in the first half when the wind made it difficult to get over the half way line. Great to get into the 3rd round of the cup and this result shows the team are willing to roll up the sleeves and get stuck in. When the boys get the ball on the deck and play the passing game, they are a match for anyone. 
Player of the Match: Callum Riddoch
Login to post comments